Why You Love Shinedown?

• Why You Love Shinedown?
    AllAmericanDan1

I remember when I was just a teenager, I had just joined the US Navy and went to see Van Halen live. It was an exciting time for me, I was seeing my all-time favorite band live, but the opening band had something about them...it made me want to learn more....

The opening band was this band named "Shinedown" they implored me to "stand up" but I laughed their cries off..."I'm here to see Van Halen" I thought. But then "Simple Man" was played...and I was captivated. "Wait a minute, modern singers can...SING?" Weeks later, I purchased the re-release of Shinedown's Leave a Whisper...and loved every single track. I once called it a "soundtrack to my life." Shinedown, because of you I have grown to love bands that have come before and after you. Your influences, like STP and Pearl Jam, I would not like if not for you. I thank you for opening up my mind...because their is no turning back once you open up to your mind!

Submitted by AllAmericanDan1 on
Forum category
Is pro
No

We must have been at the same show only I was a bit older than you :wink:
That's the first time I heard them, and I was hooked also. I remember we got to the show a little late, and one of my teachers was working security there...we were chatting with him, and I heard this amazing opening band, and thinking..I don't want to be rude, but I have to check these guys out.
I'm so glad I did..been hooked ever since! Brent's lyrics just blow me away, and I find a new reason to love them every day!

dalamar_2

Fri, 06/26/2009 - 10:46

What's not to like?

I'm 38, which means I lived music through my teens with long hairy bands wearing spandex, spitting fire from the 8' long tongues and eating puppies on stage. We all know today those were stunts, but they still managed to call on our imagination. Heck, who doesn't remember thier first kiss on the dance floor in high school? I can tell you the song was [i]Nobody's Fool[/i] (CINDERELLA), but I can hardly remember her name.

Then came the rap years: insipid, insignificant and totally the opposite of of the heavy riffs and crying guitars we were used to. They've been playing the same song since 1988, in my humble opinion, calling upon the the primal urges lurking within all of us, twisted and wrong.

And all of a sudden comes a band that is devoid of artificial stunts, that reinvents melodies, with a signer that actually sings, guitars that actualy ring and that makes each and everyone of us go back years to events and situations that made us then who we are today. SHINEDOWN speaks to us intelligently, like we're adults, like we're human beings, like they are. My only regret is not knowing them since they started. All my life I wanted to tour with such a band (I'm a MFA in Theatre Production - Lighting Designer). Now, I'm too old, too set in my ways, too confortably numb, as was once sung, for this shit.

I had said before..they are the thinking man's (or woman's) band.

BTW....first high school dance kiss...Heaven-Bryan Adams..my first love.

Like allamericandan said..the soundtrack to our lives....

destiny453

Fri, 06/26/2009 - 12:28

I first heard Shinedown about 2002/03 when they did I Dare You for the WWE Wrestling. (I was a kid.) Lol. Anyway there was something about the lyrics that made we want to hear more. When i heard the acoustic version, i fell in love with the power of Brents voice. :)

ShinedownPete

Mon, 06/29/2009 - 13:01

I agree with everyone Music is the soundtrack to our lives.
For me i am going to be 40 soon and loved all types of music from listening to the Led Zepplien who made me listen to the blues of guys like Robert johnson and the greats of blues music to punk music, 80's hair bands, rap yeah i know but i love my rap lol every now and then to music of now.

First time i saw Shinedown was at Augustfest 2 years ago and i was really there to see Chevelle being there from the same city i live in and just heard about Shinedown more on the radio then like caring.
They were not on the bill until the last min and took Seether's spot.
I got there early and it was there first year holding this event and it was hot as hell.

Before they came on i was like i am just going to sit here and not do anything to conserve my energy for the later bands.

When they came on i was like WTF who is this band and i felt like someone just woke me up to music again and i told my friend i have to get closer to see this band so we got right in the middle and in front and i was just blown away by them and could not get there music out of my head it was like it spoke to me and how i felt in many ways about just things in life i felt and wanted to say.

I went home and DL every song i could find and told my wife who thought i was nuts lol like the scene out of ( Close Encounters ).
So my wife ( who in 30 years never listen to rock ) i make her a cd of there songs and she liked them..
The following year they headlined Augustfest and i took her to her first concert ever and said nothing to her and just watched her fall in love with this band we all love called ( Shinedown ) she was hooked as i was and we have seen them together since then 4 other times since then.

Now are 3 daughters love there music and i am taking them to there first Shinedown concert this Friday and can't wait to see how they react to seing them live.

So yes Shinedown is a huge part of my family's life when it comes to music and even got my oldest to get on the honor role so she could go see them lol

destiny453

Mon, 06/29/2009 - 15:51

wow, what a story! :)

[quote="destiny453"]I first heard Shinedown about 2002/03 when they did I Dare You for the WWE Wrestling. (I was a kid.) Lol. Anyway there was something about the lyrics that made we want to hear more. When i heard the acoustic version, i fell in love with the power of Brents voice. :)[/quote]

Wrestlemania right? The promo for the SD main event? :P

I'm so glad something good came from wrestling for me:
Shinedown
Alter Bridge
3 Doors Down
Black Stone Cherry
Breaking Benjamin

...thinking about it, they play some bloody good music:!:

destiny453

Mon, 06/29/2009 - 17:35

yeah I got into Alter Bridge and Killswitch Engage through wrestling aswell. :)

I remember when I was just a teenager, I had just joined the US Navy and went to see Van Halen live. It was an exciting time for me, I was seeing my all-time favorite band live, but the opening band had something about them...it made me want to learn more....

The opening band was this band named "Shinedown" they implored me to "stand up" but I laughed their cries off..."I'm here to see Van Halen" I thought. But then "Simple Man" was played...and I was captivated. "Wait a minute, modern singers can...SING?" Weeks later, I purchased the re-release of Shinedown's Leave a Whisper...and loved every single track. I once called it a "soundtrack to my life." Shinedown, because of you I have grown to love bands that have come before and after you. Your influences, like STP and Pearl Jam, I would not like if not for you. I thank you for opening up my mind...because their is no turning back once you open up to your mind!

comments

yeah I got into Alter Bridge and Killswitch Engage through wrestling aswell. :)

[quote="destiny453"]I first heard Shinedown about 2002/03 when they did I Dare You for the WWE Wrestling. (I was a kid.) Lol. Anyway there was something about the lyrics that made we want to hear more. When i heard the acoustic version, i fell in love with the power of Brents voice. :)[/quote]

Wrestlemania right? The promo for the SD main event? :P

I'm so glad something good came from wrestling for me:
Shinedown
Alter Bridge
3 Doors Down
Black Stone Cherry
Breaking Benjamin

...thinking about it, they play some bloody good music:!:

wow, what a story! :)

I agree with everyone Music is the soundtrack to our lives.
For me i am going to be 40 soon and loved all types of music from listening to the Led Zepplien who made me listen to the blues of guys like Robert johnson and the greats of blues music to punk music, 80's hair bands, rap yeah i know but i love my rap lol every now and then to music of now.

First time i saw Shinedown was at Augustfest 2 years ago and i was really there to see Chevelle being there from the same city i live in and just heard about Shinedown more on the radio then like caring.
They were not on the bill until the last min and took Seether's spot.
I got there early and it was there first year holding this event and it was hot as hell.

Before they came on i was like i am just going to sit here and not do anything to conserve my energy for the later bands.

When they came on i was like WTF who is this band and i felt like someone just woke me up to music again and i told my friend i have to get closer to see this band so we got right in the middle and in front and i was just blown away by them and could not get there music out of my head it was like it spoke to me and how i felt in many ways about just things in life i felt and wanted to say.

I went home and DL every song i could find and told my wife who thought i was nuts lol like the scene out of ( Close Encounters ).
So my wife ( who in 30 years never listen to rock ) i make her a cd of there songs and she liked them..
The following year they headlined Augustfest and i took her to her first concert ever and said nothing to her and just watched her fall in love with this band we all love called ( Shinedown ) she was hooked as i was and we have seen them together since then 4 other times since then.

Now are 3 daughters love there music and i am taking them to there first Shinedown concert this Friday and can't wait to see how they react to seing them live.

So yes Shinedown is a huge part of my family's life when it comes to music and even got my oldest to get on the honor role so she could go see them lol

I first heard Shinedown about 2002/03 when they did I Dare You for the WWE Wrestling. (I was a kid.) Lol. Anyway there was something about the lyrics that made we want to hear more. When i heard the acoustic version, i fell in love with the power of Brents voice. :)

I had said before..they are the thinking man's (or woman's) band.

BTW....first high school dance kiss...Heaven-Bryan Adams..my first love.

Like allamericandan said..the soundtrack to our lives....

What's not to like?

I'm 38, which means I lived music through my teens with long hairy bands wearing spandex, spitting fire from the 8' long tongues and eating puppies on stage. We all know today those were stunts, but they still managed to call on our imagination. Heck, who doesn't remember thier first kiss on the dance floor in high school? I can tell you the song was [i]Nobody's Fool[/i] (CINDERELLA), but I can hardly remember her name.

Then came the rap years: insipid, insignificant and totally the opposite of of the heavy riffs and crying guitars we were used to. They've been playing the same song since 1988, in my humble opinion, calling upon the the primal urges lurking within all of us, twisted and wrong.

And all of a sudden comes a band that is devoid of artificial stunts, that reinvents melodies, with a signer that actually sings, guitars that actualy ring and that makes each and everyone of us go back years to events and situations that made us then who we are today. SHINEDOWN speaks to us intelligently, like we're adults, like we're human beings, like they are. My only regret is not knowing them since they started. All my life I wanted to tour with such a band (I'm a MFA in Theatre Production - Lighting Designer). Now, I'm too old, too set in my ways, too confortably numb, as was once sung, for this shit.

We must have been at the same show only I was a bit older than you :wink:
That's the first time I heard them, and I was hooked also. I remember we got to the show a little late, and one of my teachers was working security there...we were chatting with him, and I heard this amazing opening band, and thinking..I don't want to be rude, but I have to check these guys out.
I'm so glad I did..been hooked ever since! Brent's lyrics just blow me away, and I find a new reason to love them every day!