What's your take on the Missouri State Fair?

• What's your take on the Missouri State Fair?
    _blessmy4

I have been seeing different posts on this subject, so I thought that I would bring it over here to the Nation. I wasn't there, so it's hard to know how things really went down, but thought it might be interesting to see what everyone thinks?

I know that I would be TOTAL bummed if that would have happened to a show I was at, but I also know that I for one don't care for lightening. So, I don't blame them one bit for not being able to cont with the show. They are up there with all that power source and all the metal, I wouldn't want to be out there like that.

Some seem to have turned on SD, and I truly think that is sad. I don't know if it was handled in the right way, but to say your never going to go to a show, or buy merch from them & even never listen to them again, that seems alittle, no alot hard!!

So, chime in and let us know what you think?

Submitted by _blessmy4 on
Forum category
Is pro
No

ShinedownChica

Sat, 08/14/2010 - 21:50

thats safety precautions.... so anyone who has a problem with it is a dramatic bull shitter.... yes i understand it sucks, but fuckin seriously..... grow up....

inked4life

Sun, 08/15/2010 - 02:23

According to their twitter, they tried to go on with the show as much as they could. Unfortunately, the fairgrounds have to follow safety precautions. I would be really pissed too, but not to that extent. It would be kinda hard to not be a sd fan, especially since I even tattooed myself with their logo.

shinedownjunkie45

Sun, 08/15/2010 - 10:18

from what i understand it was completely bad weather out there zach even tweeted about it before their set as they were huddlig up. in my opinion those are not true Sd fans if they are not going to listen to their songs nor buy their merch because of what happens somethings are just out of the guys' hands. this time was one of them.

ShinedownChica

Sun, 08/15/2010 - 11:26

I understand being disappointed, but the idea of giving up on the guys because of something that's not even under their control aint right.... giving up on them because of weather screwin shit up isnt fair to anyone....

I agree, it seemed like it was out of their hands. I respect that someone decided the safety of everyone was more important. Griping about the weather and the circumstances, definitely. I would be horribly upset if I had been there, but to blame it on someone, that is just childish. And to then turn on the band for revenge? That's just assinine.

To tie in to the other thread, wonder how many of those saying they weren't going to listen to them or buy their merch were the second chancers. Just saying :P

shinedownjunkie45

Mon, 08/16/2010 - 12:26

lol very true abby.

Okay, I have seen lots of post on this myself. I was there. We got the tickets for my sons 8th Birthday present, all he wanted to do was see Shinedown with his Shinedown Theme party. We drove for over 4 hours to get to Sedalia, MO, it was over 100 degrees. Those of you that follow Brent on Twitter, there is nothing else to do in Sedalia than the fair. So we went to the fair and spent another $100 to ride the ridesthat was broke down most of the time. Another $100 on food and water (4 bottles and hour at $2 a bottle). You could ride a few rides then go into the horse arena to cool off. Miserable hot. So at Concert time 7ish we went to the track, and the heat seemed to get worse. Chevelle came out and done a great job of getting the crowd ready for Shinedown. Then right as Shinedown went to get on stage the wind hit, honestly the way things were flying and the lights shaking, I didn't want to see anyone get on stage. There was alot of fans on the track with no protection and they stayed, then there was those of us in the bleachers with cover. Everyone was waiting it out, people were told to leave the track for saftey. Then they were let back in and made to leave again. To wait hours for a show to be cancelled an hour before the storm is supposed to be out of area. I am not blaming the band on this at all, I saw the tweets, I have been to 5 concerts and know how they treat fans, I know they have another concert to get too. But I think the fair board could have done it better. No announcments, just State Patrol and Fireman coming and running us out when the storm was still hitting. Why was it okay for me to sit there for 3 hours in lighting and a storm and now I have to take my kids out in the mess and walk 3 miles. The fair had shuttles all day, but stopped shuttling at midnight, so it was a walk in the rain and wind. Yes, it was frustrating being kicked out of a concert after waiting that long and knowing it was the fair and not the guys. Knowing my kids will not get to see Shinedown, which they were both so excited over. But this isn't something Shindeown could manage, it is crazy MO weather that we are used to. I do think the State Fair could have handled it better and will make sure to NEVER attend the State Fair again even if Shinedown is to perform.

shinedownjunkie45

Mon, 08/16/2010 - 17:49

wow that is rough, and now we're hearing it from someone who was right there throughout the whole thing. It does seem like the fair peeps should have handled that situation a whole lot better. I am sorry for you that you were not able to see Shinedown and that your kids were so excited only to be dissapointed since they were not able to see them after all. I am glad that you understand that Shinedown does not intend to make you come all that way only to not perform this time was out of their control. Keep rocking my friend and never let down the love for Shinedown.

ShinedownChica

Mon, 08/16/2010 - 20:47

Yeahh, I think it's a lot better to hear from someone who actually was there and I'm happy you still feel the love for the guys and not turn your back on them
And welcome 1st time poster =)
Abby I'm definitely with you that they were probly Second Chancers.... and maybe a couple Simple Men???

_blessmy4

Mon, 08/16/2010 - 21:53

[quote]Posted: 16 Aug 2010 21:00 GMT Post subject: MO State Fair

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I have seen lots of post on this myself. I was there. We got the tickets for my sons 8th Birthday present, all he wanted to do was see Shinedown with his Shinedown Theme party. We drove for over 4 hours to get to Sedalia, MO, it was over 100 degrees. Those of you that follow Brent on Twitter, there is nothing else to do in Sedalia than the fair. So we went to the fair and spent another $100 to ride the ridesthat was broke down most of the time. Another $100 on food and water (4 bottles and hour at $2 a bottle). You could ride a few rides then go into the horse arena to cool off. Miserable hot. So at Concert time 7ish we went to the track, and the heat seemed to get worse. Chevelle came out and done a great job of getting the crowd ready for Shinedown. Then right as Shinedown went to get on stage the wind hit, honestly the way things were flying and the lights shaking, I didn't want to see anyone get on stage. There was alot of fans on the track with no protection and they stayed, then there was those of us in the bleachers with cover. Everyone was waiting it out, people were told to leave the track for saftey. Then they were let back in and made to leave again. To wait hours for a show to be cancelled an hour before the storm is supposed to be out of area. I am not blaming the band on this at all, I saw the tweets, I have been to 5 concerts and know how they treat fans, I know they have another concert to get too. But I think the fair board could have done it better. No announcments, just State Patrol and Fireman coming and running us out when the storm was still hitting. Why was it okay for me to sit there for 3 hours in lighting and a storm and now I have to take my kids out in the mess and walk 3 miles. The fair had shuttles all day, but stopped shuttling at midnight, so it was a walk in the rain and wind. Yes, it was frustrating being kicked out of a concert after waiting that long and knowing it was the fair and not the guys. Knowing my kids will not get to see Shinedown, which they were both so excited over. But this isn't something Shindeown could manage, it is crazy MO weather that we are used to. I do think the State Fair could have handled it better and will make sure to NEVER attend the State Fair again even if Shinedown is to perform
[/quote]

Thanks for all of the info on the days events. I am really sorry to hear that your kids were caught out in that crazy weather, and then still didn't get the chance to see SD!! I will say that you have been one of the only civil people that have posted on here that was really even there!! So many are holding so much anger and resentment towards the guys, and I just don't get it!! I would have been soooo totally upset/disappointed about not being able to see them, but I would also have enough sense to know that you can't play in those types of situations!!

So thank you for that!! That's to all of you who have "chimed" in!!

soup6552_5983

Mon, 08/16/2010 - 23:14

I too was there. Got there just when Chevelle started so we didn't have to brave the heat as much as others did.

The fair officials did a horrible job of handling the situation. We were told when the storm first started, that they will continue with the concert in 30 to 45 mins when the storm had passed. Well, they must not have been looking at the same weather radar because it looked like it would be around for a while and it was.

So that gave everyone hope that maybe we will get a performance. About an hour went by and it was still raining. My buddy and I stayed on the track, when lots of others went for cover, thinking they will probably start soon. Maybe an hour after that, they start moving things around on stage when the storm died down a bit. Then everyone came back to their seats, just to get another burst of rain and wind. So they cover everything back up once again. Nothing happens for a while and then the rain picks up even harder. So we finally leave the track for some cover. After about another 30 mins the state troopers herd us out of the grandstands and say its over.

Who ever was calling the shots that night was not very bright.

I dont blame Shinedown at all. Would it have been nice to hear from them saying: sorry guys, this weather is just too crazy so we have to cancel, sure would have. But communication was not something that was done well that night.

Luckily I had tickets to the show the next night in Des Moines and they played an amazing show. I know they would have done the same if they had the chance to in Sedalia that night.

inked4life

Tue, 08/17/2010 - 00:39

I agree that they should have sent someone out to tell you guys that the conditions are too bad to go on with the show instead of sending out the troopers to force you away.

It really seems like the issue came from communication, which would have been the fair officials. So sorry to everyone who had to endure that, it sounds like a hellish night. I hope they find a way to swing back in your area, maybe even for a small concert.

Seems like Shinedown has little luck with these fairs! I was at the Michigan State Fair a few years ago to see Shinedown and a horrible storm ripped through that night. They were still suppose to perform because the rain had stopped before their set but someone had shut down all the power and they weren't able to perform live. They tried to do it acoustic but it was too much so they signed autographs for everyone. I'm going tonight to a county fair in Michigan and I hope the rain holds off again!! :)

I have been seeing different posts on this subject, so I thought that I would bring it over here to the Nation. I wasn't there, so it's hard to know how things really went down, but thought it might be interesting to see what everyone thinks?

I know that I would be TOTAL bummed if that would have happened to a show I was at, but I also know that I for one don't care for lightening. So, I don't blame them one bit for not being able to cont with the show. They are up there with all that power source and all the metal, I wouldn't want to be out there like that.

Some seem to have turned on SD, and I truly think that is sad. I don't know if it was handled in the right way, but to say your never going to go to a show, or buy merch from them & even never listen to them again, that seems alittle, no alot hard!!

So, chime in and let us know what you think?

comments

The Fair

Seems like Shinedown has little luck with these fairs! I was at the Michigan State Fair a few years ago to see Shinedown and a horrible storm ripped through that night. They were still suppose to perform because the rain had stopped before their set but someone had shut down all the power and they weren't able to perform live. They tried to do it acoustic but it was too much so they signed autographs for everyone. I'm going tonight to a county fair in Michigan and I hope the rain holds off again!! :)

It really seems like the issue came from communication, which would have been the fair officials. So sorry to everyone who had to endure that, it sounds like a hellish night. I hope they find a way to swing back in your area, maybe even for a small concert.

I agree that they should have sent someone out to tell you guys that the conditions are too bad to go on with the show instead of sending out the troopers to force you away.

I too was there. Got there just when Chevelle started so we didn't have to brave the heat as much as others did.

The fair officials did a horrible job of handling the situation. We were told when the storm first started, that they will continue with the concert in 30 to 45 mins when the storm had passed. Well, they must not have been looking at the same weather radar because it looked like it would be around for a while and it was.

So that gave everyone hope that maybe we will get a performance. About an hour went by and it was still raining. My buddy and I stayed on the track, when lots of others went for cover, thinking they will probably start soon. Maybe an hour after that, they start moving things around on stage when the storm died down a bit. Then everyone came back to their seats, just to get another burst of rain and wind. So they cover everything back up once again. Nothing happens for a while and then the rain picks up even harder. So we finally leave the track for some cover. After about another 30 mins the state troopers herd us out of the grandstands and say its over.

Who ever was calling the shots that night was not very bright.

I dont blame Shinedown at all. Would it have been nice to hear from them saying: sorry guys, this weather is just too crazy so we have to cancel, sure would have. But communication was not something that was done well that night.

Luckily I had tickets to the show the next night in Des Moines and they played an amazing show. I know they would have done the same if they had the chance to in Sedalia that night.

[quote]Posted: 16 Aug 2010 21:00 GMT Post subject: MO State Fair

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, I have seen lots of post on this myself. I was there. We got the tickets for my sons 8th Birthday present, all he wanted to do was see Shinedown with his Shinedown Theme party. We drove for over 4 hours to get to Sedalia, MO, it was over 100 degrees. Those of you that follow Brent on Twitter, there is nothing else to do in Sedalia than the fair. So we went to the fair and spent another $100 to ride the ridesthat was broke down most of the time. Another $100 on food and water (4 bottles and hour at $2 a bottle). You could ride a few rides then go into the horse arena to cool off. Miserable hot. So at Concert time 7ish we went to the track, and the heat seemed to get worse. Chevelle came out and done a great job of getting the crowd ready for Shinedown. Then right as Shinedown went to get on stage the wind hit, honestly the way things were flying and the lights shaking, I didn't want to see anyone get on stage. There was alot of fans on the track with no protection and they stayed, then there was those of us in the bleachers with cover. Everyone was waiting it out, people were told to leave the track for saftey. Then they were let back in and made to leave again. To wait hours for a show to be cancelled an hour before the storm is supposed to be out of area. I am not blaming the band on this at all, I saw the tweets, I have been to 5 concerts and know how they treat fans, I know they have another concert to get too. But I think the fair board could have done it better. No announcments, just State Patrol and Fireman coming and running us out when the storm was still hitting. Why was it okay for me to sit there for 3 hours in lighting and a storm and now I have to take my kids out in the mess and walk 3 miles. The fair had shuttles all day, but stopped shuttling at midnight, so it was a walk in the rain and wind. Yes, it was frustrating being kicked out of a concert after waiting that long and knowing it was the fair and not the guys. Knowing my kids will not get to see Shinedown, which they were both so excited over. But this isn't something Shindeown could manage, it is crazy MO weather that we are used to. I do think the State Fair could have handled it better and will make sure to NEVER attend the State Fair again even if Shinedown is to perform
[/quote]

Thanks for all of the info on the days events. I am really sorry to hear that your kids were caught out in that crazy weather, and then still didn't get the chance to see SD!! I will say that you have been one of the only civil people that have posted on here that was really even there!! So many are holding so much anger and resentment towards the guys, and I just don't get it!! I would have been soooo totally upset/disappointed about not being able to see them, but I would also have enough sense to know that you can't play in those types of situations!!

So thank you for that!! That's to all of you who have "chimed" in!!

Yeahh, I think it's a lot better to hear from someone who actually was there and I'm happy you still feel the love for the guys and not turn your back on them
And welcome 1st time poster =)
Abby I'm definitely with you that they were probly Second Chancers.... and maybe a couple Simple Men???

wow that is rough, and now we're hearing it from someone who was right there throughout the whole thing. It does seem like the fair peeps should have handled that situation a whole lot better. I am sorry for you that you were not able to see Shinedown and that your kids were so excited only to be dissapointed since they were not able to see them after all. I am glad that you understand that Shinedown does not intend to make you come all that way only to not perform this time was out of their control. Keep rocking my friend and never let down the love for Shinedown.

MO State Fair

Okay, I have seen lots of post on this myself. I was there. We got the tickets for my sons 8th Birthday present, all he wanted to do was see Shinedown with his Shinedown Theme party. We drove for over 4 hours to get to Sedalia, MO, it was over 100 degrees. Those of you that follow Brent on Twitter, there is nothing else to do in Sedalia than the fair. So we went to the fair and spent another $100 to ride the ridesthat was broke down most of the time. Another $100 on food and water (4 bottles and hour at $2 a bottle). You could ride a few rides then go into the horse arena to cool off. Miserable hot. So at Concert time 7ish we went to the track, and the heat seemed to get worse. Chevelle came out and done a great job of getting the crowd ready for Shinedown. Then right as Shinedown went to get on stage the wind hit, honestly the way things were flying and the lights shaking, I didn't want to see anyone get on stage. There was alot of fans on the track with no protection and they stayed, then there was those of us in the bleachers with cover. Everyone was waiting it out, people were told to leave the track for saftey. Then they were let back in and made to leave again. To wait hours for a show to be cancelled an hour before the storm is supposed to be out of area. I am not blaming the band on this at all, I saw the tweets, I have been to 5 concerts and know how they treat fans, I know they have another concert to get too. But I think the fair board could have done it better. No announcments, just State Patrol and Fireman coming and running us out when the storm was still hitting. Why was it okay for me to sit there for 3 hours in lighting and a storm and now I have to take my kids out in the mess and walk 3 miles. The fair had shuttles all day, but stopped shuttling at midnight, so it was a walk in the rain and wind. Yes, it was frustrating being kicked out of a concert after waiting that long and knowing it was the fair and not the guys. Knowing my kids will not get to see Shinedown, which they were both so excited over. But this isn't something Shindeown could manage, it is crazy MO weather that we are used to. I do think the State Fair could have handled it better and will make sure to NEVER attend the State Fair again even if Shinedown is to perform.

lol very true abby.

I agree, it seemed like it was out of their hands. I respect that someone decided the safety of everyone was more important. Griping about the weather and the circumstances, definitely. I would be horribly upset if I had been there, but to blame it on someone, that is just childish. And to then turn on the band for revenge? That's just assinine.

To tie in to the other thread, wonder how many of those saying they weren't going to listen to them or buy their merch were the second chancers. Just saying :P

I understand being disappointed, but the idea of giving up on the guys because of something that's not even under their control aint right.... giving up on them because of weather screwin shit up isnt fair to anyone....

from what i understand it was completely bad weather out there zach even tweeted about it before their set as they were huddlig up. in my opinion those are not true Sd fans if they are not going to listen to their songs nor buy their merch because of what happens somethings are just out of the guys' hands. this time was one of them.

According to their twitter, they tried to go on with the show as much as they could. Unfortunately, the fairgrounds have to follow safety precautions. I would be really pissed too, but not to that extent. It would be kinda hard to not be a sd fan, especially since I even tattooed myself with their logo.

thats safety precautions.... so anyone who has a problem with it is a dramatic bull shitter.... yes i understand it sucks, but fuckin seriously..... grow up....