What You Want On/From The New Album

• What You Want On/From The New Album
    AllAmericanDan1

Well, the Anything and Everything winding down, the lifespan of the Sound of Madness is coming to a close. With that though comes a new hope, as Shinedown will take some time off and then return to the studio to record a new album. With that said what do you want/expect from the new album. My list is:

1) Don't be the Sound of Madness 2 - Brent Smith has already said that it won't be. But that just makes me worry that it'll be MORE mainstreamy than the Sound of Madness. It should have a different mood, perhaps a darker vibe - I would like a dark Shinedown album, something like Bruce Springsteen's "Nebraska" only electric. Now obviously they are a mainstream rock band, but they've cut tracks that aren't so mainstreamy (Lady So Divine immediately comes to mind) which leads me to number 2...

2) Longer tracks - If there is a flaw on the Sound of Madness, it's that all the songs are about the same length. They all run from 3 and a half to less than four and a half minutes long. Sometimes on an album you need a bit more variety in terms of length of a track. Lady So Divine provided that on Us and Them, and in my opinion is one of the strongest tracks on the album. Diamond Eyes' five and a half minute run time gives me hope they can add a couple more songs that aren't all less than 4 and a half minutes long.

3) Instrumental track - This is simple, I want one track with no vocals, only guitar, bass, and drums (perhaps piano). It also needs to be at least three minutes in length.

4) Stop the re-re-releasing - Ok, this is really more for Atlantic than the band, but seriously...it was great when they did it for Leave a Whisper to get Simple Man released. Us and Them had a deluxe edition available immediately and both albums had online only released deluxe editions with unreleased demos and such, so you didn't have to buy the whole album again. But the Sound of Madness has three damned versions, the Black Crow, White Crow, and Silver Crow albums. That's too many.

5) No "Bonus Tracks"/double album deluxe edition - 1 CD is the album and the 2nd CD is acoustic versions of all the songs. Bonus tracks to me are a dumb novelty, how are they a bonus? You put them on that album, you know what would be a bonus? If you put $10 in the album sleeve...seriously, if you put a song on the album, just put it on there. There's no reason to have six different versions of the same album just to have a different number of bonus tracks on each one.

Submitted by AllAmericanDan1 on
Forum category
Is pro
No

If you think about it, the only songs done by the group the way it is now has been Alice and Diamond Eyes. I personally liked both of those songs and I liked the direction they are going. I agree that I don't want a SoM 2. I'd like a balance of hard rock and ballads, as I do think SoM while I loved every song could have used more hard ones...well not talking about the original deluxe.

This next album will be the first one this quad as it is will have done, so I expect to hear different influences. Definitely piano songs. Maybe something influenced by Zach's roots. I think it's going to be interesting. Just don't rush it!!!

crazyquinn05

Sun, 11/28/2010 - 13:07

this next album is gunna be just as good as the past 3 if not better. It will be different but still be Shinedown and i will never complain about that. i know the guys will give it their best and it will turn out amazing.

callmeasaint

Sun, 11/28/2010 - 19:06

1. No SOM 2. They have evolved and matured as each album as come along and I love the progression. Keep on that path. Maintain the signature Shinedown 'sound' but take it to the next logical step while incorporating Zach and Eric's skills and sounds. I think Diamond Eyes is a good example of this.

2. Mix it up. SOM is very consistent from start to end. Maybe have some acoustic tracks...some longer 'epics'...some darker stuff..pretty much what was said above in a previous post.

3. Duets. Love Breaking Inside w/ LH....Brent always does amazing work with other singers....would love to see a really powerful original ballad w/ Brent singing the males perspective and a female doing the female perspective...a back n' forth sort of vibe between two lovers on the edge of a breakdown..something dark and powerful but also radio friendly.

4. Stay Shinedown. I hate when bands try to be what's hot. Make music flow to what Shinedown is doing..continue to be trend setters..not followers. I am NOT worried about this...but I've seen too many great bands trend hop and I hate it. I hated when my favorite 'hair' bands all started to try and be Pearl Jam.

5. Lots of fist pumpers and lots of emotional ballads....same as always :).

6. I want it done and in my hands by next Thanksgiving. Being selfish there LOL.....of course I want them to take their time and make it to their standards but man it's gonna be a hard wait.

7. If they can't get it done w/i a year toss us a preview single on itunes. Just to tease us. I'm still riding Diamond Eyes hard so one song can carry us a few months til it's done.

8. Brent,Eric,Zach and Barry could make a masterpiece with a kazoo and a fisher price mic and drum set in a day so I'm just in awe of what they will be able to create over the next year+. I don't think we as fans have seen anything yet. No pressure guys....LOL :)

I don't think that's really off of what anyone else is saying. So, don't worry :) Just don't hog all the rum to yourself :twisted:

Well, the Anything and Everything winding down, the lifespan of the Sound of Madness is coming to a close. With that though comes a new hope, as Shinedown will take some time off and then return to the studio to record a new album. With that said what do you want/expect from the new album. My list is:

1) Don't be the Sound of Madness 2 - Brent Smith has already said that it won't be. But that just makes me worry that it'll be MORE mainstreamy than the Sound of Madness. It should have a different mood, perhaps a darker vibe - I would like a dark Shinedown album, something like Bruce Springsteen's "Nebraska" only electric. Now obviously they are a mainstream rock band, but they've cut tracks that aren't so mainstreamy (Lady So Divine immediately comes to mind) which leads me to number 2...

2) Longer tracks - If there is a flaw on the Sound of Madness, it's that all the songs are about the same length. They all run from 3 and a half to less than four and a half minutes long. Sometimes on an album you need a bit more variety in terms of length of a track. Lady So Divine provided that on Us and Them, and in my opinion is one of the strongest tracks on the album. Diamond Eyes' five and a half minute run time gives me hope they can add a couple more songs that aren't all less than 4 and a half minutes long.

3) Instrumental track - This is simple, I want one track with no vocals, only guitar, bass, and drums (perhaps piano). It also needs to be at least three minutes in length.

4) Stop the re-re-releasing - Ok, this is really more for Atlantic than the band, but seriously...it was great when they did it for Leave a Whisper to get Simple Man released. Us and Them had a deluxe edition available immediately and both albums had online only released deluxe editions with unreleased demos and such, so you didn't have to buy the whole album again. But the Sound of Madness has three damned versions, the Black Crow, White Crow, and Silver Crow albums. That's too many.

5) No "Bonus Tracks"/double album deluxe edition - 1 CD is the album and the 2nd CD is acoustic versions of all the songs. Bonus tracks to me are a dumb novelty, how are they a bonus? You put them on that album, you know what would be a bonus? If you put $10 in the album sleeve...seriously, if you put a song on the album, just put it on there. There's no reason to have six different versions of the same album just to have a different number of bonus tracks on each one.

comments

I don't think that's really off of what anyone else is saying. So, don't worry :) Just don't hog all the rum to yourself :twisted:

1. No SOM 2. They have evolved and matured as each album as come along and I love the progression. Keep on that path. Maintain the signature Shinedown 'sound' but take it to the next logical step while incorporating Zach and Eric's skills and sounds. I think Diamond Eyes is a good example of this.

2. Mix it up. SOM is very consistent from start to end. Maybe have some acoustic tracks...some longer 'epics'...some darker stuff..pretty much what was said above in a previous post.

3. Duets. Love Breaking Inside w/ LH....Brent always does amazing work with other singers....would love to see a really powerful original ballad w/ Brent singing the males perspective and a female doing the female perspective...a back n' forth sort of vibe between two lovers on the edge of a breakdown..something dark and powerful but also radio friendly.

4. Stay Shinedown. I hate when bands try to be what's hot. Make music flow to what Shinedown is doing..continue to be trend setters..not followers. I am NOT worried about this...but I've seen too many great bands trend hop and I hate it. I hated when my favorite 'hair' bands all started to try and be Pearl Jam.

5. Lots of fist pumpers and lots of emotional ballads....same as always :).

6. I want it done and in my hands by next Thanksgiving. Being selfish there LOL.....of course I want them to take their time and make it to their standards but man it's gonna be a hard wait.

7. If they can't get it done w/i a year toss us a preview single on itunes. Just to tease us. I'm still riding Diamond Eyes hard so one song can carry us a few months til it's done.

8. Brent,Eric,Zach and Barry could make a masterpiece with a kazoo and a fisher price mic and drum set in a day so I'm just in awe of what they will be able to create over the next year+. I don't think we as fans have seen anything yet. No pressure guys....LOL :)

this next album is gunna be just as good as the past 3 if not better. It will be different but still be Shinedown and i will never complain about that. i know the guys will give it their best and it will turn out amazing.

If you think about it, the only songs done by the group the way it is now has been Alice and Diamond Eyes. I personally liked both of those songs and I liked the direction they are going. I agree that I don't want a SoM 2. I'd like a balance of hard rock and ballads, as I do think SoM while I loved every song could have used more hard ones...well not talking about the original deluxe.

This next album will be the first one this quad as it is will have done, so I expect to hear different influences. Definitely piano songs. Maybe something influenced by Zach's roots. I think it's going to be interesting. Just don't rush it!!!