What does everyone think of the new guys?

• What does everyone think of the new guys?
    darthace

I'm tossed so far.
    As much as I love MADNESS, with it just coming out, i cant quite compare it to the other 2 ced's yet because they are both all time favs.
    also, having met jasin and brad a couple times and them taking the time talk and to sign my guitar and stuff, they were awesome guys.
    also having seen the original lineup 9 times and watching thier enthusiams and how well they played off each other, and i havnt seen the new lineup live yet(next month), its hard to compare yet
    what are your thoughts fellow shinedownians?

Submitted by darthace on
Forum category
Is pro
No

I saw them play in houston 2 days ago. The new line up brings a lot of energy. As a current musician, watching them.especialy Eric, I was really impressed. Having seen the origional lineup 5 times here in houston I think they did a good job.

I have had to buy both of the other albums 2x because I listened to them so much, and this new one I anticiapate will go thru the same treatment.
It seems as if they are experimenting with drop tuning with some of their songs and a major difference from the last album is there are very few solos on the cd, but it is a little heavier.

Well I Got A Candle.

Wed, 06/25/2008 - 19:35

ive been saying this before it happened, shinedown could bring in the biggest assholes ever as long as the music is good i dont matter..
but Nick and Eric are Awesome!

\nn/

and zach has always been tight!

I don't think the band looks like a band anymore. They actually look like people that a label put together. I'm hoping that Nick sticks to the Shinedown sound and doesn't do what he did in Silvertide; a ton of overindulgent solos that we could all do without.

cody_8970

Wed, 06/25/2008 - 20:44

[quote="solacematt"]I don't think the band looks like a band anymore. They actually look like people that a label put together. I'm hoping that Nick sticks to the Shinedown sound and doesn't do what he did in Silvertide; a ton of overindulgent solos that we could all do without.[/quote]

I disagree. Jasin and Brad will definitely be missed, but Nick and Eric are great additions to the band. Nick is a good guitarist for sure. I can't say how he compares to Jasin because I haven't heard much from him, though. It's funny that you mention that about the solos; I was actually a little disappointed that there weren't more of them in this album... the first two had some pretty great solos. SoM is still a great album, though!

hollydoll

Wed, 06/25/2008 - 21:06

Eric and Nick \m/

I'm impressed so far.

I like the new guys :P but I still miss the original band a lil

synneraboveall

Thu, 06/26/2008 - 00:04

Having met every single member Shinedown has ever had....I miss Brad and Jasin more than anything. Brad is happy were he is at...Jasin, haven't talked to him in awhile but whatever he is doing now...I still care about him and always will!!!!! But as for the new line-up...I LOVE IT. Yes, Shinedown has changed since the beginning but change can be good. Nick is an awesome guitarist and a super nice guy. Eric...I love watching him on stage and he's a super nice guy, too. No matter who is Shinedown I will love this band.

synneraboveall

Thu, 06/26/2008 - 00:08

[quote="fenderguitars777"]I havent seen them live yet so I dunno. Wasnt most of the recording done with Jasin?[/quote]

Nope..this album was recorded by studio musicians.

I remember jasin complaining in an interview one time saying that the label wouldn't let him do a bunch of solos on LAW, at the time, with the music that was out there, the label said solos were 'uncool' and on the other end of the spectrum jasin said that he wouldn't put in a solo just for the sake of having one, he said the song has to need it

[quote="solacematt"]I don't think the band looks like a band anymore. They actually look like people that a label put together. I'm hoping that Nick sticks to the Shinedown sound and doesn't do what he did in Silvertide; a ton of overindulgent solos that we could all do without.[/quote]

that's exactly what i'm worried about happening, silvertide was such a completely different sound, and while they were good, i don't want to seep into Shinedown's music

Met them in Ohio last month very cool, played very well together, as always great stage presence. Shinedown Kicks Ass. :lol:

I still really miss the orginial guys, but to me, Brent and Barry made this band. The Vocals and Drums are amazing in every album. But the guitar and bass, in my opinion, werent super over-the-top amazing except for 45. The new guys are great, just like Jasin and Brad, but i dont think it made a huge difference.

cody_8970

Thu, 06/26/2008 - 15:03

[quote="xplorer567"]I still really miss the orginial guys, but to me, Brent and Barry made this band. The Vocals and Drums are amazing in every album. But the guitar and bass, in my opinion, werent super over-the-top amazing except for 45. The new guys are great, just like Jasin and Brad, but i dont think it made a huge difference.[/quote]

Whoa. I think that's a little harsh to say. Jasin was an incredible guitarist, and if you've ever seen them live, you'd see the energy he brought to the band. I haven't seen Nick and Eric live yet so I can't comment on that, but don't sell Jasin and Brad short.

[quote="synneraboveall"][quote="fenderguitars777"]I havent seen them live yet so I dunno. Wasnt most of the recording done with Jasin?[/quote]

Nope..this album was recorded by studio musicians.[/quote]
i was wondering about jasin performing on this cd as well. i didnt see his name anywhere in the credits.
did nick and eric play on the cd at all or just studio junkies?

if you didn't notice it took 2 guitarists to replace him so he had some major skillz

yeah but they were using 2 guitarists in concert.
i've noticed more backup vocals, which is good to try and help brent's voice

[quote="cody"][quote="xplorer567"]I still really miss the orginial guys, but to me, Brent and Barry made this band. The Vocals and Drums are amazing in every album. But the guitar and bass, in my opinion, werent super over-the-top amazing except for 45. The new guys are great, just like Jasin and Brad, but i dont think it made a huge difference.[/quote]

Whoa. I think that's a little harsh to say. Jasin was an incredible guitarist, and if you've ever seen them live, you'd see the energy he brought to the band. I haven't seen Nick and Eric live yet so I can't comment on that, but don't sell Jasin and Brad short.[/quote]

I was just saying that from what the album sounds like on the cd, not live. I have never seen them live so i could not comment on that.

synneraboveall

Sat, 06/28/2008 - 00:54

[quote="fenderguitars777"]Wait, did they use a second guitarist live when Zach took over bass too?[/quote]

No they didn't.

They used 2 guitarists in the studio cause Zach was not available cause he was recording with his band The Fairwell...Jasin was not with Shinedown during the recording of the album...they had one rhythm guitarist and one lead guitarist come in and record for them. Bands use studio musicians all the time.

My first shinedown show was with the previous line up and they blew me away...the energy of the members, of course, Brent's voice and Barry's tight skills stood out in my mind. Plus, Zach is great and love the Mike Meyers mask on the speaker! :)

I took the chance to sit in the sun and listen to LAW, U & T and then sound of madness in succession....My ass was kicked, as it always is with shinedown, with the progression, maturity, range of the music and the lyrics. Brent's words mirror my heart and soul. I can't wait to see the new line up as soon as possible.

I think their growth as band and bringing in new people has been great. Seamless transition, in my humble opinion.

Ive seen this line up twice now. First time at Rock on the Range from a distance and then last past weekend at Summerfest. MUCH CLOSER!

The new guys ROCK! Talk about an amazing amount of energy on stage! They totally "bring it". They are all very nice as well :)

synneraboveall

Tue, 07/01/2008 - 13:12

[quote="mollie"]My first shinedown show was with the previous line up and they blew me away...the energy of the members, of course, Brent's voice and Barry's tight skills stood out in my mind. Plus, Zach is great and love the Mike Meyers mask on the speaker! :)

I took the chance to sit in the sun and listen to LAW, U & T and then sound of madness in succession....My ass was kicked, as it always is with shinedown, with the progression, maturity, range of the music and the lyrics. Brent's words mirror my heart and soul. I can't wait to see the new line up as soon as possible.

I think their growth as band and bringing in new people has been great. Seamless transition, in my humble opinion.[/quote]

I totally agree with everything you wrote!!!! I love Zach's mask too...it's funny to see his reaction when you get close to it and he's thinks your gonna touch it...it's like his little baby..lol

Well I have yet to get close enough to *touch* the mask...but who's to say that at the next show.......... :lol:

synneraboveall

Tue, 07/01/2008 - 13:40

[quote="mollie"]Well I have yet to get close enough to *touch* the mask...but who's to say that at the next show.......... :lol:[/quote]

Hehehehe....oh he's protective of it...lol

ya'll do know why he has that mask, right?

ashley_3595

Tue, 07/01/2008 - 15:00

[quote="xplorer567"]I still really miss the orginial guys, but to me, Brent and Barry made this band. The Vocals and Drums are amazing in every album. But the guitar and bass, in my opinion, werent super over-the-top amazing except for 45. The new guys are great, just like Jasin and Brad, but i dont think it made a huge difference.[/quote]

i miss jasin and brad... i think brent, barry, zach, brad and jasin were the best shinedown... the new guys add a new sound... i like it, but miss jasin and brad.

shinedown is still amazing though...

ashley_3595

Tue, 07/01/2008 - 15:00

[quote="synneraboveall"][quote="mollie"]Well I have yet to get close enough to *touch* the mask...but who's to say that at the next show.......... :lol:[/quote]

ya'll do know why he has that mask, right?[/quote]

why does he have the mask?

[quote="ashley"][quote="synneraboveall"][quote="mollie"]Well I have yet to get close enough to *touch* the mask...but who's to say that at the next show.......... :lol:[/quote]

why does he have the mask?[/quote]

Im guessing it's because of his name, or something to do with that, right?

synneraboveall

Tue, 07/01/2008 - 22:21

[quote="ashley"][quote="synneraboveall"][quote="mollie"]Well I have yet to get close enough to *touch* the mask...but who's to say that at the next show.......... :lol:[/quote]

His real name is Michael Zachary Myers and he's huge Halloween fan!!

Kdrckrules

Wed, 07/09/2008 - 01:08

Having seen shinedown 5 times with brad and jasin, 2 times with jasin and zach, and 2 times in 2 weeks this summer, I have had great shows with all lineups, but everytime ive seen them with zack on stage either on bass or even better on guitar, he brings something special at every show. I have met him once and went totally out of the way to take care of some autograph request I had. I met him and Barry walking down the street in Springfield mo before a show. Both treated me with geniun grace and manners as im in my late 40s. They spent about 20 minutes talking to me and my wife as concert goers breezed by and we all chuckled as 2 very young girls walked by wondering out loud if they were hot. If they only knew they were standing next to them. Zack saw us walking by bus after show and came out to make sure everyone signed shirt for my daughter who is 11 and couldnt go. These guys truelly appreciate the fans no matter what age. My oldest daughter met all the new line up in kc at rockfest and they all took the time to give her a hug and sign her shirt. All im gonna say is see these guys live with an open mind, they look like they have the greatest job in the world, and they do.

ashley_3595

Wed, 07/09/2008 - 01:33

[quote="shittard"]Having seen shinedown 5 times with brad and jasin, 2 times with jasin and zach, and 2 times in 2 weeks this summer, I have had great shows with all lineups, but everytime ive seen them with zack on stage either on bass or even better on guitar, he brings something special at every show. I have met him once and went totally out of the way to take care of some autograph request I had. I met him and Barry walking down the street in Springfield mo before a show. Both treated me with geniun grace and manners as im in my late 40s. They spent about 20 minutes talking to me and my wife as concert goers breezed by and we all chuckled as 2 very young girls walked by wondering out loud if they were hot. If they only knew they were standing next to them. Zack saw us walking by bus after show and came out to make sure everyone signed shirt for my daughter who is 11 and couldnt go. These guys truelly appreciate the fans no matter what age. My oldest daughter met all the new line up in kc at rockfest and they all took the time to give her a hug and sign her shirt. All im gonna say is see these guys live with an open mind, they look like they have the greatest job in the world, and they do.[/quote]

they might be great guys, and i too have had great experiences with members of the band. but right now they are doing nothing to help their fans who were promised one thing and received another, and that is showing a different side of them

i saw nick with silvertide a couple years ago and thought he was great. so energetic and way into his performance. could be a good longterm addition to the band.

and i saw the full new band at ROTR awhile ago and it was a pretty solid performance sound and energy wise. hope to check them out again if they venture north of the border, or possibly detroit depending on how things work out

I'm tossed so far.
As much as I love MADNESS, with it just coming out, i cant quite compare it to the other 2 ced's yet because they are both all time favs.
also, having met jasin and brad a couple times and them taking the time talk and to sign my guitar and stuff, they were awesome guys.
also having seen the original lineup 9 times and watching thier enthusiams and how well they played off each other, and i havnt seen the new lineup live yet(next month), its hard to compare yet
what are your thoughts fellow shinedownians?

comments

[quote="fenderguitars777"][quote="allamericandan1"]I have a great respect of Nick Perri as a guitarist, his work in Silvertide made me enjoy that band's music. His live work is awesome, kinda reminds me of Eddie Van Halen. Eric Bass is competent, I have nothing bad to say about him but he didn't do much to impress me (maybe that's my fault though not even bassist is as good as Geddy Lee) and Zach Myers is a good rhythmn guitarist, I thought Nick was doing a solo in Worcester but nope, it was Zach. I think the biggest difference between now Shinedown and before Shinedown is that Zach and Eric do back-up vocals. As in before Shinedown Brad and Jasin did not, or at least I never saw them do vocals. And when did we replace Brent Smith with Ozzy Osbourne...oh wait...that's Brent! Might as well call him Young Ozzy. Despite the changes, Shinedown is still the best modern rock band, hands down.[/quote]

Dude, that's the new trend apparently. Watch DragonForce's new video (if you can last through the whole thing... it pretty much sounds like Through the Fire and Flames backwards)... and ZP Threart looks like Ozzy a bit in it too.[/quote]

let's follow those trends! eew im not an ozzy fan, i don't wanna see ozzy i wanna see brent. hah, and i didnt notice it until someone said something about young ozzy, but i guess there is a resemblance.

[quote="griffin"]I'll only be happy if Jasin comes back. Him and Nick would make a totally sick combination.[/quote]

I love and miss Jasin, it just feels like something is gone, even though the band is still going strong.

i love shinedowns music old and new...every album brings something different....each one has a little different sound to it and that sound flows throughout that entire album.....

i love the new guys ... they are great live and they all seem to work very well together....and that is the important thing....regardless of who the fans think should have stayed or gone or whatever, the guys need that bond or else the band tends to break up... and i know i dont want this band to break up!!!!

theres a hard life for every silver spoon
theres a touch of grey for every shade of blue

some of the ugliest things took the longest time to make
and some of the easiest habits are the hardest ones to break[/quote]

[quote="allamericandan1"]I have a great respect of Nick Perri as a guitarist, his work in Silvertide made me enjoy that band's music. His live work is awesome, kinda reminds me of Eddie Van Halen. Eric Bass is competent, I have nothing bad to say about him but he didn't do much to impress me (maybe that's my fault though not even bassist is as good as Geddy Lee) and Zach Myers is a good rhythmn guitarist, I thought Nick was doing a solo in Worcester but nope, it was Zach. I think the biggest difference between now Shinedown and before Shinedown is that Zach and Eric do back-up vocals. As in before Shinedown Brad and Jasin did not, or at least I never saw them do vocals. And when did we replace Brent Smith with Ozzy Osbourne...oh wait...that's Brent! Might as well call him Young Ozzy. Despite the changes, Shinedown is still the best modern rock band, hands down.[/quote]

I agree with you!!!! Though Eric impressed me..YEAH..I miss Jasin and Brad but Shinedown as they are right now are an impressive band!!!! And toward the end of touring Jasin did start to sing back-up vocal more.

And Griffin...don't hold your breathe on Jasin coming back...if he ever does..Nick would be out...but like I said...don't hold your breathe...look for Jasin to pop up some where outside of Shinedown!!!!

I'll only be happy if Jasin comes back. Him and Nick would make a totally sick combination.

I have a great respect of Nick Perri as a guitarist, his work in Silvertide made me enjoy that band's music. His live work is awesome, kinda reminds me of Eddie Van Halen. Eric Bass is competent, I have nothing bad to say about him but he didn't do much to impress me (maybe that's my fault though not even bassist is as good as Geddy Lee) and Zach Myers is a good rhythmn guitarist, I thought Nick was doing a solo in Worcester but nope, it was Zach. I think the biggest difference between now Shinedown and before Shinedown is that Zach and Eric do back-up vocals. As in before Shinedown Brad and Jasin did not, or at least I never saw them do vocals. And when did we replace Brent Smith with Ozzy Osbourne...oh wait...that's Brent! Might as well call him Young Ozzy. Despite the changes, Shinedown is still the best modern rock band, hands down.

[quote="sweetseekinglife"]yeah I am a Myrtle Beach native. :D[/quote]

hah my older sister lives in chalerston now. she went to coc. our oldest brother went to the citadel. she fell in love with it. every time they are anywhere close to her i beg her to go... she hasnt yet though. i just dont think she understands how awesome they are :), well at least they were the last time i saw them.

i thought they always went to south carolina... i love it there, it would be awesome to see them there.

yeah I am a Myrtle Beach native. :D

[quote="sweetseekinglife"]I am sure they will make it here, I have been lucky enough to catch thrm 3 times, 2 New years and one last summer at HOB in Myrtle Beach, I keep checking tour dates hoping hoping hoping...[/quote]

south carolina i take it?

I am sure they will make it here, I have been lucky enough to catch thrm 3 times, 2 New years and one last summer at HOB in Myrtle Beach, I keep checking tour dates hoping hoping hoping...

[quote="sweetseekinglife"]To be honest I was disapointed to hear of all the changes SD was going through, but I love the new album. As long as they keep putting out great music ( mainstream or not) I will keep buying. I am wondering who would have to leave before they quit calling the band Shinedown though :P

Shinedown is still awesome so the only thing I can complain about is that I wont have the chance to see them live anytime soon judging by thier tour dates.[/quote]

apparently they will be touring for the next two years... so who knows

To be honest I was disapointed to hear of all the changes SD was going through, but I love the new album. As long as they keep putting out great music ( mainstream or not) I will keep buying. I am wondering who would have to leave before they quit calling the band Shinedown though :P

Shinedown is still awesome so the only thing I can complain about is that I wont have the chance to see them live anytime soon judging by thier tour dates.

it didnt really take 2 people to fill Jasin, Zach was the rythem guitar player when Brad was in the band, to play the harder songs so jasin didnt need to overdub.

[quote="ashley"][quote="evenangelsfall"]I really didn't want to jump into this topic because it's such a sore subject for me. HOWEVER........ I decided maybe its best that I do and get it out instead of holding it in......

So with that said I have several thing to say:

I was never a HUGE Silvertide fan so I can't comment on that - only saw them once. But I TOTALLY agree with you on this! New pictures to me just DO NOT scream SHINEDOWN. :(

[quote="synneraboveall"][quote="fenderguitars777"]I havent seen them live yet so I dunno. Wasnt most of the recording done with Jasin?[/quote]

I was too wandering about that thanks for clearing that up :)

[quote="cody"][quote="xplorer567"]I still really miss the orginial guys, but to me, Brent and Barry made this band. The Vocals and Drums are amazing in every album. But the guitar and bass, in my opinion, werent super over-the-top amazing except for 45. The new guys are great, just like Jasin and Brad, but i dont think it made a huge difference.[/quote]

Whoa. I think that's a little harsh to say. Jasin was an incredible guitarist, and if you've ever seen them live, you'd see the energy he brought to the band. I haven't seen Nick and Eric live yet so I can't comment on that, but don't sell Jasin and Brad short.[/quote]

Agreed, Jasin is an AMAZING kick ass guitarist!!!!!!!! And to see him live, well.... talk about being blown away. To me... Brent, Jasin, Brad & Barry made SHINEDOWN.

[quote="artemisfowl"]if you didn't notice it took 2 guitarists to replace him so he had some major skillz[/quote]

[b]THANK YOU[/b]
Thought I was the only one to notice this

[quote="darthace"]yeah but they were using 2 guitarists in concert.
i've noticed more backup vocals, which is good to try and help brent's voice[/quote]

Sorry, but Brent doesn't exactly need help :?:

[quote="schlagdog"] So the album is all about Brent's songs. Most of the songs were wrote by Brent and the studio guitar player/songwriter. It really doesn't matter who you put around Brent. When you have the best singer in rock you always crush! This album is perfection![/quote]

This is what got me over being a cynic about the new album. And why I gave it a chance. Because as MUCH as I miss the old Shinedown, what moved me the most, and probably always will, is Brent. His voice and lyrics. No one knows all the shit I went thru when I found out about Brad then Jasin then new people, then new album. HOWEVER. I realize that they did what they did to keep the band going, no matter whether I like it not. And, to tell you the truth, I am more drawn to Brent's lyrics and voice. I could probably listen to him acapella and feel exactly the same. I acted out like a CHILD when all of that went down. I took every piece of Shinedown material down, pictures, ticket stubs, articles, posters, promos, armbands... everything!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yet I couldnt bring myself to get rid of Jasin's pick around my neck. I still wear it. That's Shinedown to me. They were here a few months ago and I missed out on seeing them because this was right after I found out about Jasin. I was like fuck it I'm done. That was dumb. I should have went. I will stop being a negative and cynical person about this. No one will ever know the whole story and truth to what EXACTLY happened, and how EVERYONE felt about the decisions that were being made except those guys. And honestly, that's their business, not ours. I am still a fan, and always will be. As long as I know that Brent is still writing and singing, how can I NOT be a fan. Afterall, sometimes goodbye IS a second chance.

/rant
I do feel better having gotten that out[/quote]

you know i really dont think i could have said any of it better myself... but i do think that without jasin maybe goodbye there might not be a second chance... again it was stated that it took two people to replace them, and they really arent the same.[/quote]

Perhaps. But we shall see right? I can't say I have to convince myself to like the new cd. I absolutely LOVE it!!!! Shinedown ALWAYS helps me calm my nerves, I swear to God they are theraputic, no matter who is playing the instruments. :D

[quote="ashley"][quote="fenderguitars777"]Soo much text![/quote]

dude really... i know you are working on those post counts. but you are a head. leave it alone.

soo much text really adds little to what she had to say, and what she had to say was meaningful...

and i do mean this with love

[quote="fenderguitars777"]Soo much text![/quote]

dude really... i know you are working on those post counts. but you are a head. leave it alone.

soo much text really adds little to what she had to say, and what she had to say was meaningful...

and i do mean this with love

[quote="evenangelsfall"]I really didn't want to jump into this topic because it's such a sore subject for me. HOWEVER........ I decided maybe its best that I do and get it out instead of holding it in......

I was never a HUGE Silvertide fan so I can't comment on that - only saw them once. But I TOTALLY agree with you on this! New pictures to me just DO NOT scream SHINEDOWN. :(

Agreed, Jasin is an AMAZING kick ass guitarist!!!!!!!! And to see him live, well.... talk about being blown away. To me... Brent, Jasin, Brad & Barry made SHINEDOWN.

[quote="artemisfowl"]if you didn't notice it took 2 guitarists to replace him so he had some major skillz[/quote]

[b]THANK YOU[/b]

i've noticed more backup vocals, which is good to try and help brent's voice[/quote]

[quote="schlagdog"] So the album is all about Brent's songs. Most of the songs were wrote by Brent and the studio guitar player/songwriter. It really doesn't matter who you put around Brent. When you have the best singer in rock you always crush! This album is perfection![/quote]

This is what got me over being a cynic about the new album. And why I gave it a chance. Because as MUCH as I miss the old Shinedown, what moved me the most, and probably always will, is Brent. His voice and lyrics. No one knows all the shit I went thru when I found out about Brad then Jasin then new people, then new album. HOWEVER. I realize that they did what they did to keep the band going, no matter whether I like it not. And, to tell you the truth, I am more drawn to Brent's lyrics and voice. I could probably listen to him acapella and feel exactly the same. I acted out like a CHILD when all of that went down. I took every piece of Shinedown material down, pictures, ticket stubs, articles, posters, promos, armbands... everything!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yet I couldnt bring myself to get rid of Jasin's pick around my neck. I still wear it. That's Shinedown to me. They were here a few months ago and I missed out on seeing them because this was right after I found out about Jasin. I was like fuck it I'm done. That was dumb. I should have went. I will stop being a negative and cynical person about this. No one will ever know the whole story and truth to what EXACTLY happened, and how EVERYONE felt about the decisions that were being made except those guys. And honestly, that's their business, not ours. I am still a fan, and always will be. As long as I know that Brent is still writing and singing, how can I NOT be a fan. Afterall, sometimes goodbye IS a second chance.

/rant
I do feel better having gotten that out[/quote]

you know i really dont think i could have said any of it better myself... but i do think that without jasin maybe goodbye there might not be a second chance... again it was stated that it took two people to replace them, and they really arent the same.

[quote="tawnee"]I like the old Shinedown lineup better. I agree that they sound a lot more mainstream now, possibly because of the newer members, and I don't really like it. Sound of Madness is my least favorite album of the three. It's the one I skip the most songs on. :([/quote]

you know i have really tried to convince myself that i this album was just as great as their others... but i cant do it anymore because it is not, It is good, but not like the rest... without jasin and brad... it really isnt shinedown anymore. and they seem to be slaves of atlantic records. and really do should rather mainstream. i will always love their music and them, but they have started to show their true, or at least new, colors...

are they on the brink of selling out? please say no...

I really didn't want to jump into this topic because it's such a sore subject for me. HOWEVER........ I decided maybe its best that I do and get it out instead of holding it in......

[b]THANK YOU[/b]

/rant
I do feel better having gotten that out

I like the old Shinedown lineup better. I agree that they sound a lot more mainstream now, possibly because of the newer members, and I don't really like it. Sound of Madness is my least favorite album of the three. It's the one I skip the most songs on. :(

i saw nick with silvertide a couple years ago and thought he was great. so energetic and way into his performance. could be a good longterm addition to the band.

and i saw the full new band at ROTR awhile ago and it was a pretty solid performance sound and energy wise. hope to check them out again if they venture north of the border, or possibly detroit depending on how things work out

Re: The new line up

[quote="shittard"]Having seen shinedown 5 times with brad and jasin, 2 times with jasin and zach, and 2 times in 2 weeks this summer, I have had great shows with all lineups, but everytime ive seen them with zack on stage either on bass or even better on guitar, he brings something special at every show. I have met him once and went totally out of the way to take care of some autograph request I had. I met him and Barry walking down the street in Springfield mo before a show. Both treated me with geniun grace and manners as im in my late 40s. They spent about 20 minutes talking to me and my wife as concert goers breezed by and we all chuckled as 2 very young girls walked by wondering out loud if they were hot. If they only knew they were standing next to them. Zack saw us walking by bus after show and came out to make sure everyone signed shirt for my daughter who is 11 and couldnt go. These guys truelly appreciate the fans no matter what age. My oldest daughter met all the new line up in kc at rockfest and they all took the time to give her a hug and sign her shirt. All im gonna say is see these guys live with an open mind, they look like they have the greatest job in the world, and they do.[/quote]

they might be great guys, and i too have had great experiences with members of the band. but right now they are doing nothing to help their fans who were promised one thing and received another, and that is showing a different side of them

The new line up

Having seen shinedown 5 times with brad and jasin, 2 times with jasin and zach, and 2 times in 2 weeks this summer, I have had great shows with all lineups, but everytime ive seen them with zack on stage either on bass or even better on guitar, he brings something special at every show. I have met him once and went totally out of the way to take care of some autograph request I had. I met him and Barry walking down the street in Springfield mo before a show. Both treated me with geniun grace and manners as im in my late 40s. They spent about 20 minutes talking to me and my wife as concert goers breezed by and we all chuckled as 2 very young girls walked by wondering out loud if they were hot. If they only knew they were standing next to them. Zack saw us walking by bus after show and came out to make sure everyone signed shirt for my daughter who is 11 and couldnt go. These guys truelly appreciate the fans no matter what age. My oldest daughter met all the new line up in kc at rockfest and they all took the time to give her a hug and sign her shirt. All im gonna say is see these guys live with an open mind, they look like they have the greatest job in the world, and they do.

His real name is Michael Zachary Myers and he's huge Halloween fan!!

Im guessing it's because of his name, or something to do with that, right?

[quote="synneraboveall"][quote="mollie"]Well I have yet to get close enough to *touch* the mask...but who's to say that at the next show.......... :lol:[/quote]

why does he have the mask?

i miss jasin and brad... i think brent, barry, zach, brad and jasin were the best shinedown... the new guys add a new sound... i like it, but miss jasin and brad.

shinedown is still amazing though...

[quote="mollie"]Well I have yet to get close enough to *touch* the mask...but who's to say that at the next show.......... :lol:[/quote]

ya'll do know why he has that mask, right?

Well I have yet to get close enough to *touch* the mask...but who's to say that at the next show.......... :lol:

[quote="mollie"]My first shinedown show was with the previous line up and they blew me away...the energy of the members, of course, Brent's voice and Barry's tight skills stood out in my mind. Plus, Zach is great and love the Mike Meyers mask on the speaker! :)

I think their growth as band and bringing in new people has been great. Seamless transition, in my humble opinion.[/quote]

I totally agree with everything you wrote!!!! I love Zach's mask too...it's funny to see his reaction when you get close to it and he's thinks your gonna touch it...it's like his little baby..lol

Ive seen this line up twice now. First time at Rock on the Range from a distance and then last past weekend at Summerfest. MUCH CLOSER!

The new guys ROCK! Talk about an amazing amount of energy on stage! They totally "bring it". They are all very nice as well :)

My first shinedown show was with the previous line up and they blew me away...the energy of the members, of course, Brent's voice and Barry's tight skills stood out in my mind. Plus, Zach is great and love the Mike Meyers mask on the speaker! :)

I think their growth as band and bringing in new people has been great. Seamless transition, in my humble opinion.

[quote="fenderguitars777"]Wait, did they use a second guitarist live when Zach took over bass too?[/quote]

No they didn't.

They used 2 guitarists in the studio cause Zach was not available cause he was recording with his band The Fairwell...Jasin was not with Shinedown during the recording of the album...they had one rhythm guitarist and one lead guitarist come in and record for them. Bands use studio musicians all the time.

I was just saying that from what the album sounds like on the cd, not live. I have never seen them live so i could not comment on that.

yeah but they were using 2 guitarists in concert.
i've noticed more backup vocals, which is good to try and help brent's voice

if you didn't notice it took 2 guitarists to replace him so he had some major skillz

i was wondering about jasin performing on this cd as well. i didnt see his name anywhere in the credits.
did nick and eric play on the cd at all or just studio junkies?

Whoa. I think that's a little harsh to say. Jasin was an incredible guitarist, and if you've ever seen them live, you'd see the energy he brought to the band. I haven't seen Nick and Eric live yet so I can't comment on that, but don't sell Jasin and Brad short.

I still really miss the orginial guys, but to me, Brent and Barry made this band. The Vocals and Drums are amazing in every album. But the guitar and bass, in my opinion, werent super over-the-top amazing except for 45. The new guys are great, just like Jasin and Brad, but i dont think it made a huge difference.

Met them in Ohio last month very cool, played very well together, as always great stage presence. Shinedown Kicks Ass. :lol:

that's exactly what i'm worried about happening, silvertide was such a completely different sound, and while they were good, i don't want to seep into Shinedown's music

I remember jasin complaining in an interview one time saying that the label wouldn't let him do a bunch of solos on LAW, at the time, with the music that was out there, the label said solos were 'uncool' and on the other end of the spectrum jasin said that he wouldn't put in a solo just for the sake of having one, he said the song has to need it

[quote="fenderguitars777"]I havent seen them live yet so I dunno. Wasnt most of the recording done with Jasin?[/quote]

Nope..this album was recorded by studio musicians.

Having met every single member Shinedown has ever had....I miss Brad and Jasin more than anything. Brad is happy were he is at...Jasin, haven't talked to him in awhile but whatever he is doing now...I still care about him and always will!!!!! But as for the new line-up...I LOVE IT. Yes, Shinedown has changed since the beginning but change can be good. Nick is an awesome guitarist and a super nice guy. Eric...I love watching him on stage and he's a super nice guy, too. No matter who is Shinedown I will love this band.

I like the new guys :P but I still miss the original band a lil

Eric and Nick \m/

I'm impressed so far.

I disagree. Jasin and Brad will definitely be missed, but Nick and Eric are great additions to the band. Nick is a good guitarist for sure. I can't say how he compares to Jasin because I haven't heard much from him, though. It's funny that you mention that about the solos; I was actually a little disappointed that there weren't more of them in this album... the first two had some pretty great solos. SoM is still a great album, though!

I don't think the band looks like a band anymore. They actually look like people that a label put together. I'm hoping that Nick sticks to the Shinedown sound and doesn't do what he did in Silvertide; a ton of overindulgent solos that we could all do without.

ive been saying this before it happened, shinedown could bring in the biggest assholes ever as long as the music is good i dont matter..
but Nick and Eric are Awesome!

\nn/

and zach has always been tight!

I saw them play in houston 2 days ago. The new line up brings a lot of energy. As a current musician, watching them.especialy Eric, I was really impressed. Having seen the origional lineup 5 times here in houston I think they did a good job.

I have had to buy both of the other albums 2x because I listened to them so much, and this new one I anticiapate will go thru the same treatment.
It seems as if they are experimenting with drop tuning with some of their songs and a major difference from the last album is there are very few solos on the cd, but it is a little heavier.