understanding the lyrics

• understanding the lyrics
    tidmore82

on the the third song, second chance, one of the main phrases are "sometimes goodbye is a second chance". i was wonderin what was your interpretation *sp* of this or maybe what the bands meaning and interpretation of this is.

Submitted by tidmore82 on
Forum category
Is pro
No

I think it means starting a new life on your own. For example, you are going off to college, leaving your parents. You have to say good bye, but you are creating a new life for yourself. A Second Chance.

tidmore82

Tue, 06/24/2008 - 00:41

ok that makes sense. for some reason i just couldnt wrap my head around that one

hollydoll

Tue, 06/24/2008 - 09:22

I read somewhere that Second Chance is about Brent leaving Knoxville to pursue his career in music.

JeffTaormina

Tue, 06/24/2008 - 21:57

If you don't say goodbye sometimes you can't move on to better yourself.

The Brent one makes sense. I actually thought about the college one that someone mentioned earlier today when I was listening to it. Probably because I'm leaving for college soon.

crow_recording

Thu, 06/26/2008 - 14:05

i forget where i heard this from but when i find it again ill let you know.. second chance was written for/about his parents who passed away. so he is saying goodbye to his parents.

You know, yesterday, I was reading the BIO page on the new www.shinedown.com website and it mentions the meanings behind a couple of the new songs.

Go here: [url]http://www.shinedown.com/bio/[/url]

It's a great read over all. There are also individual bios on the guys too.

[quote="crow_recording"]i forget where i heard this from but when i find it again ill let you know.. second chance was written for/about his parents who passed away. so he is saying goodbye to his parents.[/quote]
no no no...if im right, his parents are still alive...it was written about when he said goodbye to his parents to live his dream to become a musician.

crow_recording

Thu, 06/26/2008 - 14:24

[quote="jt0323"][quote="crow_recording"]i forget where i heard this from but when i find it again ill let you know.. second chance was written for/about his parents who passed away. so he is saying goodbye to his parents.[/quote]
no no no...if im right, his parents are still alive...it was written about when he said goodbye to his parents to live his dream to become a musician.[/quote]

well like i said im not 100% i want to find where i read that.. actualy i think brent said something about that before he played the song live.. im going to see what i can find and post it when i do... im not saying your wronge.. just want to remember what i found once..

I think you all have the right idea and it could mean different things for diferent people, like mentioned above college, new job in different state or country, closing a chapter in your life to start better, and so on. it is a great tune. really loving this new cd. Rock on fellow shiners.

crow_recording

Thu, 06/26/2008 - 14:38

found it.. and your write they didnt die.. here is the vid. and also typed out what he said.

[quote]"This next song is a brand new song off the sound of madness, and i know you want to get to the music but its important that you hear this. Where i grew up everyone was ok with being in a bubble. They were cool in their circle. Thats fine. But no one should discourage someone if they have a dream, if they want something more. Do you agree with me? This song was difficult for me to write the lyrics to because it is about my mother and my father and about the day i said goodbye to them. Beacuse i had to go try and im still trying everyday to become a man. So.. This song is about that. its about the moment that you wake up, and you decice you want to go for every dream that you ever wanted. This song is called second chance."[/quote]

[code:1]http://youtube.com/watch?v=p_YrGm1mbXs[/code:1]

synneraboveall

Thu, 06/26/2008 - 15:07

Hehehe..I was gonna refer to that video but you beat me to it!!!! I love that song!!!!!

synneraboveall

Sat, 06/28/2008 - 00:55

Great minds think alike...LOL

The beauty of Brent's lyrics are that his words can mean so much to so many. It is a reflection of where you are in that it changes with every new experience.

I had the chance to meet my heart-mate about a year and half ago. Through the past year or so, we had to deal with what destiny tossed our way. Needless to say, we had to say "good-bye" and it hurt. But, with that good-bye, I have had the chance to start my life again and find the peace and happiness that was missing before.

Through the pain, I was able to navigate through the days with LAW and now am smiling and enjoying life and loving where shinedown is now....keeping a :) in my heart and soul.

~m

synneraboveall

Tue, 07/01/2008 - 13:32

Awww..I like reading stories like both of yours...that have so much meaning to them...it's inspiring even to those who haven't gone through what you have. I know it let's me know that what little bad shit has happened in my life that if you can get through such hard times..I know I can get through mine. Thanks for sharing your stories!!!!

^^^^TY! It helps to share it and know that if it can make someone somewhere feel a wee bit better, it was worth it all.

Damn...I love shinedown!!!! :mrgreen:

[quote="hollydoll"]I read somewhere that Second Chance is about Brent leaving Knoxville to pursue his career in music.[/quote]

I was thinking it was something like that

synneraboveall

Tue, 07/01/2008 - 22:26

[quote="mollie"]^^^^TY! It helps to share it and know that if it can make someone somewhere feel a wee bit better, it was worth it all.

Damn...I love shinedown!!!! :mrgreen:[/quote]

Ur welcome!!

I luvs them, too!!!!

on the the third song, second chance, one of the main phrases are "sometimes goodbye is a second chance". i was wonderin what was your interpretation *sp* of this or maybe what the bands meaning and interpretation of this is.

comments

[quote="mollie"]^^^^TY! It helps to share it and know that if it can make someone somewhere feel a wee bit better, it was worth it all.

Damn...I love shinedown!!!! :mrgreen:[/quote]

Ur welcome!!

I luvs them, too!!!!

[quote="hollydoll"]I read somewhere that Second Chance is about Brent leaving Knoxville to pursue his career in music.[/quote]

I was thinking it was something like that

^^^^TY! It helps to share it and know that if it can make someone somewhere feel a wee bit better, it was worth it all.

Damn...I love shinedown!!!! :mrgreen:

Awww..I like reading stories like both of yours...that have so much meaning to them...it's inspiring even to those who haven't gone through what you have. I know it let's me know that what little bad shit has happened in my life that if you can get through such hard times..I know I can get through mine. Thanks for sharing your stories!!!!

The beauty of Brent's lyrics are that his words can mean so much to so many. It is a reflection of where you are in that it changes with every new experience.

I had the chance to meet my heart-mate about a year and half ago. Through the past year or so, we had to deal with what destiny tossed our way. Needless to say, we had to say "good-bye" and it hurt. But, with that good-bye, I have had the chance to start my life again and find the peace and happiness that was missing before.

Through the pain, I was able to navigate through the days with LAW and now am smiling and enjoying life and loving where shinedown is now....keeping a :) in my heart and soul.

~m

Great minds think alike...LOL

Hehehe..I was gonna refer to that video but you beat me to it!!!! I love that song!!!!!

found it.. and your write they didnt die.. here is the vid. and also typed out what he said.

[quote]"This next song is a brand new song off the sound of madness, and i know you want to get to the music but its important that you hear this. Where i grew up everyone was ok with being in a bubble. They were cool in their circle. Thats fine. But no one should discourage someone if they have a dream, if they want something more. Do you agree with me? This song was difficult for me to write the lyrics to because it is about my mother and my father and about the day i said goodbye to them. Beacuse i had to go try and im still trying everyday to become a man. So.. This song is about that. its about the moment that you wake up, and you decice you want to go for every dream that you ever wanted. This song is called second chance."[/quote]

[code:1]http://youtube.com/watch?v=p_YrGm1mbXs[/code:1]

I think you all have the right idea and it could mean different things for diferent people, like mentioned above college, new job in different state or country, closing a chapter in your life to start better, and so on. it is a great tune. really loving this new cd. Rock on fellow shiners.

[quote="jt0323"][quote="crow_recording"]i forget where i heard this from but when i find it again ill let you know.. second chance was written for/about his parents who passed away. so he is saying goodbye to his parents.[/quote]
no no no...if im right, his parents are still alive...it was written about when he said goodbye to his parents to live his dream to become a musician.[/quote]

well like i said im not 100% i want to find where i read that.. actualy i think brent said something about that before he played the song live.. im going to see what i can find and post it when i do... im not saying your wronge.. just want to remember what i found once..

[quote="crow_recording"]i forget where i heard this from but when i find it again ill let you know.. second chance was written for/about his parents who passed away. so he is saying goodbye to his parents.[/quote]
no no no...if im right, his parents are still alive...it was written about when he said goodbye to his parents to live his dream to become a musician.

You know, yesterday, I was reading the BIO page on the new www.shinedown.com website and it mentions the meanings behind a couple of the new songs.

Go here: [url]http://www.shinedown.com/bio/[/url]

It's a great read over all. There are also individual bios on the guys too.

i forget where i heard this from but when i find it again ill let you know.. second chance was written for/about his parents who passed away. so he is saying goodbye to his parents.

The Brent one makes sense. I actually thought about the college one that someone mentioned earlier today when I was listening to it. Probably because I'm leaving for college soon.

If you don't say goodbye sometimes you can't move on to better yourself.

I read somewhere that Second Chance is about Brent leaving Knoxville to pursue his career in music.

ok that makes sense. for some reason i just couldnt wrap my head around that one

I think it means starting a new life on your own. For example, you are going off to college, leaving your parents. You have to say good bye, but you are creating a new life for yourself. A Second Chance.