ashley_3595

so

Submitted by ashley_3595 on
Forum category
Is pro
No

synneraboveall

Mon, 06/30/2008 - 13:04

WOW...sad story...sucks that some people can't see past the actual lyrics cause not one of Shinedown's songs are about killing yourself...their about the struggles people have with certain things in life. Some people have problems with drugs/pills, whatever it maybe but it you listen and read all the lyrics most songs are about over coming those struggles. But really you should take the lyrics and decide for yourself what they mean to you.

ashley_3595

Mon, 06/30/2008 - 13:08

eh id be careful calling [i]anyone[/i] dumb, that just annoys the hell out of me.

i understand your point, and i understand hers.

ashley_3595

Mon, 06/30/2008 - 13:15

[quote="synneraboveall"]WOW...sad story...sucks that some people can't see past the actual lyrics cause not one of Shinedown's songs are about killing yourself...their about the struggles people have with certain things in life. Some people have problems with drugs/pills, whatever it maybe but it you listen and read all the lyrics most songs are about over coming those struggles. But really you should take the lyrics and decide for yourself what they mean to you.[/quote]

that is why i did not tell her she was wrong. who am i to tell her her interpretation of a song is incorrect? But she never said that the song was telling anyone to do anything of the sort, she just thought it was a song that was "hopeless" opposed to most of their songs about things like this.

but i understand the words that are hot for her, bi-polar, then take your medicine, and then saying things like... well here:
[b]
Yeah, I get it,
You're an outcast.
Always under attack.
Always coming in last,
Bringing up the past.
No one owes you anything.
I think you need a shotgun blast,
A kick in the ass,
So paranoid. . .
Watch your back!![/b]

Oh my, here we go...
[b]
Another lose cannon gone bi-polar[/b]
Slipped down, couldn't get much lower.
Quicksand's got no sense of humor.
I'm still laughing like hell.
You think that the cryin to me,
Looking so sorry that I'm gonna believe,
You've been infected by a social disease.
[b]Well, then take your medicine.[/b]

[Chorus]
I created the Sound of Madness.
Wrote the book on pain.
Somehow I'm still here,
To explain,
That the darkest hour never comes in the night.
You can sleep with a gun.
When you gonna wake up and fight... for yourself?

[b]I'm so sick of this tombstone mentality,
If there's an afterlife,
Then it'll set you free.[/b]
But I'm not gonna part the seas
You're a self-fulfilling prophecy.
You think that cryin to me,
Well, then take your medicine.

[Chorus]
Wrote the book on pain.
Somehow I'm still here,
To explain,

Wrote the book on pain.
Somehow I'm still here,
To explain,
When you gonna wake up...
When you gonna wake up and fight...

Wrote the book on pain.
Somehow I'm still here,
To explain,

When you gonna wake up and fight... for yourself? [x3]

synneraboveall

Mon, 06/30/2008 - 14:22

I understand what you are saying...maybe you could sit down with her and talk to her about what she thinks it's about and maybe tell what you think it means and maybe she might see it in a different way and maybe change her thoughts on Shinedown...cause I'm not gonna go as far as Alex and say she's dumb(that was kind of rude) cause she's not. She definitely has the right to have her own opinion on what her meaning is and how she takes it...but the song is about over coming the hard things in life and fighting back against the things that haunt us.

ashley_3595

Mon, 06/30/2008 - 14:32

the death is still fresh to both of us, i will admit i have a hard time listening to the song...

synneraboveall

Mon, 06/30/2008 - 14:35

[quote="ashley"]the death is still fresh to both of us, i will admit i have a hard time listening to the song...[/quote]

sorry for your lose...either way!!!!

ashley_3595

Mon, 06/30/2008 - 14:41

i appreciate that, so often in this world people forget about others, and the things they live through... people forget to feel for others. i don't know if shinedown means to, but i would assume they do, but they show

theloudsilence

Mon, 06/30/2008 - 17:27

I don't want to come off as insensitive here, because it's not my intension. So let me start off by saying, I'm very sorry for your loss. That being said, I don't think it was Shinedown's intension to poke fun at people with disorders who need medicine. I think the meaning of the song is that lots of people kind of use problems as excuses to not do anything about their problems. At least that's what I got out of it. I don't think Shinedown would ever make fun of people with genuine problems. That's what I think it's about. People with 'fake' problems or problems that are beatable, but choose to lay down and just complain. "I created the sound of Madness, wrote the book on pain, somehow I'm still here to explain" I think he's saying he's been through a lot and he's still plugging away. That's just how I heard it.

ashley_3595

Tue, 07/01/2008 - 01:27

[quote="theloudsilence"]I don't want to come off as insensitive here, because it's not my intension. So let me start off by saying, I'm very sorry for your loss. That being said, I don't think it was Shinedown's intension to poke fun at people with disorders who need medicine. I think the meaning of the song is that lots of people kind of use problems as excuses to not do anything about their problems. At least that's what I got out of it. I don't think Shinedown would ever make fun of people with genuine problems. That's what I think it's about. People with 'fake' problems or problems that are beatable, but choose to lay down and just complain. "I created the sound of Madness, wrote the book on pain, somehow I'm still here to explain" I think he's saying he's been through a lot and he's still plugging away. That's just how I heard it.[/quote]

i agree that Shinedowne's intentions were not to make fun of people who are mentally ill, if that was the case I would not have been listening for them for the last 7 years. And it is not me that feels that way.
As someone said before all songs are up for interpretation, and this one is no different

brent has talked about the title of the album meaning how the sound of madness is life, not everything goes according to plan, this can be good and it can be bad. Brent getting a child was a good form of madness, the band splitting up was a bad form.

the song relates because who is anybody to complain about there life nobodys life is perfect. some people are addicted to substances and use that to get away... aka medicine. not medicine that you actually need. And when he says another loose cannon gone bipolar he doesnt mean actual people who are diagnosed with bipolar disorder and need to take lithium. he means someone who has a short temper whos having large mood swings. then theres religion in it when he speaks about afterlife. he is saying that if there is an afterlife then it will come when you die, but he isnt going to find out till then so he wont worry about it during life and theres no use for arguing.

i think in the end the song is saying live life as life goes, dont complain just live it because life is a gift and you should enjoy as much as possible. everyone is different and everyone has ups and downs and different beliefs its all just madness... oh and this is my favorite heavy song on the album

ashley_3595

Tue, 07/01/2008 - 23:52

[quote="dewey"]brent has talked about the title of the album meaning how the sound of madness is life, not everything goes according to plan, this can be good and it can be bad. Brent getting a child was a good form of madness, the band splitting up was a bad form.

the song relates because who is anybody to complain about there life nobodys life is perfect. some people are addicted to substances and use that to get away... aka medicine. not medicine that you actually need. And when he says another loose cannon gone bipolar he doesnt mean actual people who are diagnosed with bipolar disorder and need to take lithium. he means someone who has a short temper whos having large mood swings. then theres religion in it when he speaks about afterlife. he is saying that if there is an afterlife then it will come when you die, but he isnt going to find out till then so he wont worry about it during life and theres no use for arguing.

i think in the end the song is saying live life as life goes, dont complain just live it because life is a gift and you should enjoy as much as possible. everyone is different and everyone has ups and downs and different beliefs its all just madness... oh and this is my favorite heavy song on the album[/quote]

i understand the song, but i just think using the word bi-polar and then saying just take your medicine is ironic and wasnt the best choice or wording. i understand substance abuse, i understand medically necessary, and i understand what happens when people don't take their medicine.
but as always i think there is not right or wrong to an interpretation of a song, no matter how much i agree with yours, as i have said before.

that is the wonder of music. songs can mean so many different things to people and can be different to so many. I recently lost a family member to an accental overdose of perscription drugs and it is very hard to deal with. But you can't let stuff like that be so bothersome and i also know that is easy to say than to do. i personally love the new cd all the songs. it's funny you mentioned The crow and the butterfly that and second chance are my favorates i think and they both remind me of "Wes" . you know tring not to let you slip away and ect. and also sometimes goodbye means a second chance. I miss him deeply. wish you both the best in overcoming this tragedy, it is a long Road. Just keep thier memory in your heart.

so

comments

that is the wonder of music. songs can mean so many different things to people and can be different to so many. I recently lost a family member to an accental overdose of perscription drugs and it is very hard to deal with. But you can't let stuff like that be so bothersome and i also know that is easy to say than to do. i personally love the new cd all the songs. it's funny you mentioned The crow and the butterfly that and second chance are my favorates i think and they both remind me of "Wes" . you know tring not to let you slip away and ect. and also sometimes goodbye means a second chance. I miss him deeply. wish you both the best in overcoming this tragedy, it is a long Road. Just keep thier memory in your heart.

[quote="dewey"]brent has talked about the title of the album meaning how the sound of madness is life, not everything goes according to plan, this can be good and it can be bad. Brent getting a child was a good form of madness, the band splitting up was a bad form.

i think in the end the song is saying live life as life goes, dont complain just live it because life is a gift and you should enjoy as much as possible. everyone is different and everyone has ups and downs and different beliefs its all just madness... oh and this is my favorite heavy song on the album[/quote]

i understand the song, but i just think using the word bi-polar and then saying just take your medicine is ironic and wasnt the best choice or wording. i understand substance abuse, i understand medically necessary, and i understand what happens when people don't take their medicine.
but as always i think there is not right or wrong to an interpretation of a song, no matter how much i agree with yours, as i have said before.

brent has talked about the title of the album meaning how the sound of madness is life, not everything goes according to plan, this can be good and it can be bad. Brent getting a child was a good form of madness, the band splitting up was a bad form.

i think in the end the song is saying live life as life goes, dont complain just live it because life is a gift and you should enjoy as much as possible. everyone is different and everyone has ups and downs and different beliefs its all just madness... oh and this is my favorite heavy song on the album

[quote="theloudsilence"]I don't want to come off as insensitive here, because it's not my intension. So let me start off by saying, I'm very sorry for your loss. That being said, I don't think it was Shinedown's intension to poke fun at people with disorders who need medicine. I think the meaning of the song is that lots of people kind of use problems as excuses to not do anything about their problems. At least that's what I got out of it. I don't think Shinedown would ever make fun of people with genuine problems. That's what I think it's about. People with 'fake' problems or problems that are beatable, but choose to lay down and just complain. "I created the sound of Madness, wrote the book on pain, somehow I'm still here to explain" I think he's saying he's been through a lot and he's still plugging away. That's just how I heard it.[/quote]

i agree that Shinedowne's intentions were not to make fun of people who are mentally ill, if that was the case I would not have been listening for them for the last 7 years. And it is not me that feels that way.
As someone said before all songs are up for interpretation, and this one is no different

I don't want to come off as insensitive here, because it's not my intension. So let me start off by saying, I'm very sorry for your loss. That being said, I don't think it was Shinedown's intension to poke fun at people with disorders who need medicine. I think the meaning of the song is that lots of people kind of use problems as excuses to not do anything about their problems. At least that's what I got out of it. I don't think Shinedown would ever make fun of people with genuine problems. That's what I think it's about. People with 'fake' problems or problems that are beatable, but choose to lay down and just complain. "I created the sound of Madness, wrote the book on pain, somehow I'm still here to explain" I think he's saying he's been through a lot and he's still plugging away. That's just how I heard it.

i appreciate that, so often in this world people forget about others, and the things they live through... people forget to feel for others. i don't know if shinedown means to, but i would assume they do, but they show

[quote="ashley"]the death is still fresh to both of us, i will admit i have a hard time listening to the song...[/quote]

sorry for your lose...either way!!!!

the death is still fresh to both of us, i will admit i have a hard time listening to the song...

I understand what you are saying...maybe you could sit down with her and talk to her about what she thinks it's about and maybe tell what you think it means and maybe she might see it in a different way and maybe change her thoughts on Shinedown...cause I'm not gonna go as far as Alex and say she's dumb(that was kind of rude) cause she's not. She definitely has the right to have her own opinion on what her meaning is and how she takes it...but the song is about over coming the hard things in life and fighting back against the things that haunt us.

[quote="synneraboveall"]WOW...sad story...sucks that some people can't see past the actual lyrics cause not one of Shinedown's songs are about killing yourself...their about the struggles people have with certain things in life. Some people have problems with drugs/pills, whatever it maybe but it you listen and read all the lyrics most songs are about over coming those struggles. But really you should take the lyrics and decide for yourself what they mean to you.[/quote]

that is why i did not tell her she was wrong. who am i to tell her her interpretation of a song is incorrect? But she never said that the song was telling anyone to do anything of the sort, she just thought it was a song that was "hopeless" opposed to most of their songs about things like this.

but i understand the words that are hot for her, bi-polar, then take your medicine, and then saying things like... well here:
[b]
Yeah, I get it,
You're an outcast.
Always under attack.
Always coming in last,
Bringing up the past.
No one owes you anything.
I think you need a shotgun blast,
A kick in the ass,
So paranoid. . .
Watch your back!![/b]

Oh my, here we go...
[b]
Another lose cannon gone bi-polar[/b]
Slipped down, couldn't get much lower.
Quicksand's got no sense of humor.
I'm still laughing like hell.
You think that the cryin to me,
[b]Well, then take your medicine.[/b]

[Chorus]
Wrote the book on pain.
Somehow I'm still here,
To explain,

[b]I'm so sick of this tombstone mentality,
If there's an afterlife,
Then it'll set you free.[/b]
But I'm not gonna part the seas
You're a self-fulfilling prophecy.
You think that cryin to me,
Well, then take your medicine.

[Chorus]
Wrote the book on pain.
Somehow I'm still here,
To explain,

Wrote the book on pain.
Somehow I'm still here,
To explain,
When you gonna wake up...
When you gonna wake up and fight...

Wrote the book on pain.
Somehow I'm still here,
To explain,

When you gonna wake up and fight... for yourself? [x3]

eh id be careful calling [i]anyone[/i] dumb, that just annoys the hell out of me.

i understand your point, and i understand hers.

WOW...sad story...sucks that some people can't see past the actual lyrics cause not one of Shinedown's songs are about killing yourself...their about the struggles people have with certain things in life. Some people have problems with drugs/pills, whatever it maybe but it you listen and read all the lyrics most songs are about over coming those struggles. But really you should take the lyrics and decide for yourself what they mean to you.