Symphonic Doom Metal?

• Symphonic Doom Metal?
    randomsunkist17

Anyone have a clue as to what symphonic doom metal is and give me examples of some artist that fit this genre so I can listen to it?

There was a sign on the wall at the music store I get my guitar lessons and other stuff at that was asking for people to call if they wanted to join their band and they were asking for anyone who can play symphonic (symphony) instruments for this band. I have never heard of it and neither has anyone I know personally.

I might give them a ring since I play flute and could play simple rhythm guitar and back up vocals.

Submitted by randomsunkist17 on
Forum category
Is pro
No

randomsunkist17

Fri, 06/18/2010 - 16:58

See I was thinking it was more like Nightwish and Epica, but I dunno.

If you like those two bands, I can recommend Within Temptation, similar sound. And that's what I thought too, but I believe those are classified as symphonic goth vs doom.

ShinedownChica

Fri, 06/18/2010 - 22:09

haha i love within temptation...whenever i need to do vocal auditions i sing somewhere cuz it shows good soprano range =)

randomsunkist17

Fri, 06/18/2010 - 22:29

I've heard of Within Temptation, they're pretty good. Is this like black metal except with a symphony? I'm not much of a fan of black metal, some are ok but I just can't stand the growling screamo stuff.

ShinedownChica

Sat, 06/19/2010 - 09:46

yeah im pretty much the same as shannon.... but sometimes when im just not in the mood for anything it sounds good lol.

Might need to get some demos from the band to see where on the range they are in terms of classical vs screamo.

randomsunkist17

Sun, 06/20/2010 - 14:19

Yeah I'll give them a call next time I see the poster.

ShinedownChica

Sun, 06/20/2010 - 18:22

good luck on it being interesting/getting in =)

shinedownjunkie45

Mon, 06/21/2010 - 10:46

never heard of this genre. sounds interesting.

randomsunkist17

Mon, 06/21/2010 - 13:08

I looked up just doom metal and that's like Black Sabbath so apparenltly symphonic doom metal is Black Sabbath and Vitamin String Quartet combined.

shinedownjunkie45

Mon, 06/21/2010 - 15:12

ah i see. sounds pretty cool.

randomsunkist17

Mon, 06/21/2010 - 16:43

It does. I like some doom metal.

I don't know if it's like black metal I might not like it considering the lyrics of most black metal being somewhat anti-Christian and what some of the artist have done like burning churches, murders, stuff that Glenn Benton (carved a upside down cross into his forehead and sent the scab to a priest...gross) and Varg Vikernes (chruch burnings and killed his bandmate/friend) did. I'm all for expressing your beliefs and what not but hating because of another person's beliefs or way of life, murdering, or comitting arson is just wrong no matter who does it.

But that's just me and as I've stated before I don't like the screaming and not being able to understand what they're saying. Plus I think my parents would have a cow and send me to an exorcist if I joined a band like that lol.

shinedownjunkie45

Tue, 06/22/2010 - 09:25

lol yeah i know what you mean. have you heard of a band called full blown chaos i think they've only released one cd but i like it's a pretty good jam whenever people wear down my last nerve lol.

randomsunkist17

Tue, 06/22/2010 - 11:15

No I haven't but I'll look them up and check them out.

shinedownjunkie45

Tue, 06/22/2010 - 18:22

cool let me know what you think i find it pretty cool.

Anyone have a clue as to what symphonic doom metal is and give me examples of some artist that fit this genre so I can listen to it?

There was a sign on the wall at the music store I get my guitar lessons and other stuff at that was asking for people to call if they wanted to join their band and they were asking for anyone who can play symphonic (symphony) instruments for this band. I have never heard of it and neither has anyone I know personally.

I might give them a ring since I play flute and could play simple rhythm guitar and back up vocals.

comments

cool let me know what you think i find it pretty cool.

No I haven't but I'll look them up and check them out.

lol yeah i know what you mean. have you heard of a band called full blown chaos i think they've only released one cd but i like it's a pretty good jam whenever people wear down my last nerve lol.

It does. I like some doom metal.

I don't know if it's like black metal I might not like it considering the lyrics of most black metal being somewhat anti-Christian and what some of the artist have done like burning churches, murders, stuff that Glenn Benton (carved a upside down cross into his forehead and sent the scab to a priest...gross) and Varg Vikernes (chruch burnings and killed his bandmate/friend) did. I'm all for expressing your beliefs and what not but hating because of another person's beliefs or way of life, murdering, or comitting arson is just wrong no matter who does it.

But that's just me and as I've stated before I don't like the screaming and not being able to understand what they're saying. Plus I think my parents would have a cow and send me to an exorcist if I joined a band like that lol.

ah i see. sounds pretty cool.

I looked up just doom metal and that's like Black Sabbath so apparenltly symphonic doom metal is Black Sabbath and Vitamin String Quartet combined.

never heard of this genre. sounds interesting.

good luck on it being interesting/getting in =)

Yeah I'll give them a call next time I see the poster.

Might need to get some demos from the band to see where on the range they are in terms of classical vs screamo.

yeah im pretty much the same as shannon.... but sometimes when im just not in the mood for anything it sounds good lol.

I've heard of Within Temptation, they're pretty good. Is this like black metal except with a symphony? I'm not much of a fan of black metal, some are ok but I just can't stand the growling screamo stuff.

haha i love within temptation...whenever i need to do vocal auditions i sing somewhere cuz it shows good soprano range =)

If you like those two bands, I can recommend Within Temptation, similar sound. And that's what I thought too, but I believe those are classified as symphonic goth vs doom.

See I was thinking it was more like Nightwish and Epica, but I dunno.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_symphonic_metal_bands

This was nifty. The only bands I recognized at a glance was Metallica off of S&M and TSO. My thoughts would be that they would be looking for more of a stringed instrument, but with flute, you might luck out. Wouldn't hurt to try.