The Sound of Madness and Me

• The Sound of Madness and Me
    saxsym

I have debated for a long time whether to post this as I'm just not much of a sharer, but listening to a radio interview with Brent the other day where he said he believed in the power of music reminded me how much I have always felt that way. I have been a Shinedown fan since Fly From the Inside came out. When the Sound of Madness came out, I felt a connection to the music that I couldn't explain. I had to listen to each song two or three times in a row before going onto the next one. Little did I know how much I would end up needing that connection throughout 2009. In about a 2 month period, my mother-in-law passed very unexpectedly, we had a fire, my teaching job was eliminated at the end of the school year after 12 years (no joke, the chorus to Second Chance popped in my head getting this news), a student of mine was killed in an car crash, and a bunch of other stuff. When the Sound of Madness was released as a single, one day singing along to the radio, the words just clicked of what they really meant. I realized that I had lived through the "Sound of Madness" and was still around. It made me go back to listen to the entire album with an entirely new perspective and a much greater meaning to me. Whenever I started getting down, I would pull out the CD and listen. I am convinced that it helped me keep my sanity through everything and make it back to where I am now. 2010 has definitely been a better year so far. And after going through all this, I finally get to see Shinedown in concert Monday night (the 26th) in KC. I know they're opening so won't get to play near long enough and the seats we have pretty much suck, but I still get to see them live for the first time!!! :D I can't imagine not loving them! Maybe the next time they play KC it will be as a headliner and won't be a general admission show (I physically can't do general admission) so it will be a longer set. My ultimate dream would be getting to meet them and tell them how much the music has meant to me. Maybe someday. But for now, I'm so excited to be 48 hours away from my first Shinedown concert that I don't think anything can wipe the smile off my face come Monday :D

Submitted by saxsym on
Forum category
Is pro
No

Thanks for sharing that story. I like to hear how each of us came to belong to this family and how each song and album can mean the same or very different thing to each of us. I know I enjoy hearing them play at every concert and I hope you have a blast tomorrow night. Let us know how it went.

shinedownjunkie45

Sun, 04/25/2010 - 17:06

Thanks for trusting us enough to share your story with us. It's very interesting to me how we are all so different and yet we are brought together and meet each other because of something so powerful as music. The music of Shinedown has gotten me through so much. I like to hear how it has impacted others as well. Have a good time at the show tomorrow. Shinedown won't disappoint they bring their A game every night. Hang out after the show by the buses if you can and your wish to meet them just might come true. :)

Thanks for sharing your story with us! It's much appreciated.
Shinedown helped me through some rough times too. :)

I have debated for a long time whether to post this as I'm just not much of a sharer, but listening to a radio interview with Brent the other day where he said he believed in the power of music reminded me how much I have always felt that way. I have been a Shinedown fan since Fly From the Inside came out. When the Sound of Madness came out, I felt a connection to the music that I couldn't explain. I had to listen to each song two or three times in a row before going onto the next one. Little did I know how much I would end up needing that connection throughout 2009. In about a 2 month period, my mother-in-law passed very unexpectedly, we had a fire, my teaching job was eliminated at the end of the school year after 12 years (no joke, the chorus to Second Chance popped in my head getting this news), a student of mine was killed in an car crash, and a bunch of other stuff. When the Sound of Madness was released as a single, one day singing along to the radio, the words just clicked of what they really meant. I realized that I had lived through the "Sound of Madness" and was still around. It made me go back to listen to the entire album with an entirely new perspective and a much greater meaning to me. Whenever I started getting down, I would pull out the CD and listen. I am convinced that it helped me keep my sanity through everything and make it back to where I am now. 2010 has definitely been a better year so far. And after going through all this, I finally get to see Shinedown in concert Monday night (the 26th) in KC. I know they're opening so won't get to play near long enough and the seats we have pretty much suck, but I still get to see them live for the first time!!! :D I can't imagine not loving them! Maybe the next time they play KC it will be as a headliner and won't be a general admission show (I physically can't do general admission) so it will be a longer set. My ultimate dream would be getting to meet them and tell them how much the music has meant to me. Maybe someday. But for now, I'm so excited to be 48 hours away from my first Shinedown concert that I don't think anything can wipe the smile off my face come Monday :D

comments

Thanks for sharing your story with us! It's much appreciated.
Shinedown helped me through some rough times too. :)

Thanks for trusting us enough to share your story with us. It's very interesting to me how we are all so different and yet we are brought together and meet each other because of something so powerful as music. The music of Shinedown has gotten me through so much. I like to hear how it has impacted others as well. Have a good time at the show tomorrow. Shinedown won't disappoint they bring their A game every night. Hang out after the show by the buses if you can and your wish to meet them just might come true. :)

Thanks for sharing that story. I like to hear how each of us came to belong to this family and how each song and album can mean the same or very different thing to each of us. I know I enjoy hearing them play at every concert and I hope you have a blast tomorrow night. Let us know how it went.