Shinedown is Mainstream??

• Shinedown is Mainstream??
    corey16

I have been visiting different forums, youtube videos, and have heard people talking about Shinedown in a negative way. Most people claim that Shinedown is a band that is mainstream and a band that can easily get mistaken for bands like Nickelback, 3 doors down, and etc. When I hear this, it really ticks me off, because the people that say that, only hear their stuff that is played on the radio. If you are gonna talk smalk about a band at least take the liberty of searching their songs that arent played on the radio 24/7 like Devour and Second Chance. If half the people that called Shinedown mainstream actually listened to Shinedown's other songs such as; Burning Bright, Shed Some Light, Better Version, and The Crow and The Butterfly, they would actually realize how they are unique and have their own distinct blend of music. What do you guys think about this topic?

Submitted by corey16 on
Forum category
Is pro
No

dalamar_2

Wed, 03/25/2009 - 23:12

I think that mainstream for someone may very well be astranged and new to others. And as much as I would like to go about and comment in depth, I lack the amount of perspective you folks - early days die hard fans - may have.

All I know is that:
a) Music appreciation is a matter of taste, therefore is subjective
b) Calling any music as "mainstream" is an absolute
c) Dealing in absolutes encases and kills argumentation on any subject.

Or, in short, talk about it good, talk about it bad... so long as you talk about it, I'm a happy camper.

Do I even make sense? :)

I have Loved Shinedown since LAW. Saying that, I'm glad people are talking about them so much. Whether its calling them mainstream or whatever right on. Having Shinedown on the tongues of as many people as possible is something I've tried to do for years. I talk about them all the time when the topic is music. For as many negative comments that are said hopefully a large amount of people will be curious enough to actually go listen to Shinedown and hopefully see how awesome they are LAW to now!

As far as mainstream.... Mainstream is such a general term. Most people say mainstream when it's a song or band a majority of people in a room would recognize. Snobs like to think music only they and one or two friends would know is better because its feels a little more personal. At least that's what I think. I can't say I didn't feel a little special knowing and loving Shinedown and others not knowing who the hell they were. But I like to share and spread the love hehe.

Yeah, I am glad people are starting to add the word "Shinedown" to their vocabulary, it's a start. Oh and does anyone else get annoyed when people say they love Shinedown when they can only name Shinedown's songs on the radio.

shinedownjunkie45

Thu, 03/26/2009 - 10:23

i agree with john_tx and the everyone on here. the fact that people are talking about Shinedown says something about them. They are doing something right inorder for people to be talking about them. I don't feel their music is mainstream. It has its own unique sound and has meaning unlike other songs on the radio. Corey16 I agree I also get annoyed when people talk about how much they love this band called Shinedown and the only song they know them for is Devour. I always tell them while Devour is a great song that is not the only song they have. lol. I proudly use Shinedown in my vocabulary every single day.

[quote="corey16"]I have been visiting different forums, youtube videos, and have heard people talking about Shinedown in a negative way[/quote]

Just ask them who they view as non-mainstream bands? I do and get answers like Blink 182, Green Day who are much more commercial than Shinedown. Or just ignore them :wink:

SDMFmike_2

Fri, 04/03/2009 - 02:09

Id Tell The "hey If you dont like shinedown Dont listen to the its as simple as that now stop your bithing(ive done it before and im sure ill do it again)" Nontheless mainstream bands arnt bad i mean look at ozzy/sabbath metallica skynyrd guns n roses and so many more amazing bands but pardon my french fuck whoever talks shit about shinedown, If all you have to do with your time is to demean bands that have overwhelming talent get a life!!

BrAnDi_11

Sat, 04/04/2009 - 01:53

I think its awesome the guys are finally getting the recognition we all know they deserve. Mainstream is AWESOME love flipping the station & hearing Shinedown.

shinedown isnt mainstream to me either. ive been there also since LAW. and i think its just where i live at...ppl round here dont really listen to rock so....its different. lol. but shinedown is who you make them to be in your heart. fuck what others say ya know?!

SDMFmike_2

Sun, 04/05/2009 - 02:03

Amen to that!! Fuck what people think it's all about you and what you have inside you

I was shocked to hear shinedown's name recently on one of those "PowerBallad" cd's you always see commercials for on TV

All I know is the local radio station here had been playing all their stuff forever..thank God...it's getting a new audience, and it's ok....when I hear someone talk about them like they're new, I enlighten them....I'm proud to say I love them from the beginning, and feel that it's my job to spread the word..Brent has written so many masterful lyrics that have brought me through many rough patches in my life, and I am only too happy to spread the word for them. As a matter of fact, just today, my friend said she always liked them, but since I've been yapping away, she has developed a deeper love for them. That makes me happy! Anything that gets people talking is a good thing! :wink:

I have been visiting different forums, youtube videos, and have heard people talking about Shinedown in a negative way. Most people claim that Shinedown is a band that is mainstream and a band that can easily get mistaken for bands like Nickelback, 3 doors down, and etc. When I hear this, it really ticks me off, because the people that say that, only hear their stuff that is played on the radio. If you are gonna talk smalk about a band at least take the liberty of searching their songs that arent played on the radio 24/7 like Devour and Second Chance. If half the people that called Shinedown mainstream actually listened to Shinedown's other songs such as; Burning Bright, Shed Some Light, Better Version, and The Crow and The Butterfly, they would actually realize how they are unique and have their own distinct blend of music. What do you guys think about this topic?

comments

All I know is the local radio station here had been playing all their stuff forever..thank God...it's getting a new audience, and it's ok....when I hear someone talk about them like they're new, I enlighten them....I'm proud to say I love them from the beginning, and feel that it's my job to spread the word..Brent has written so many masterful lyrics that have brought me through many rough patches in my life, and I am only too happy to spread the word for them. As a matter of fact, just today, my friend said she always liked them, but since I've been yapping away, she has developed a deeper love for them. That makes me happy! Anything that gets people talking is a good thing! :wink:

I was shocked to hear shinedown's name recently on one of those "PowerBallad" cd's you always see commercials for on TV

Amen to that!! Fuck what people think it's all about you and what you have inside you

shinedown isnt mainstream to me either. ive been there also since LAW. and i think its just where i live at...ppl round here dont really listen to rock so....its different. lol. but shinedown is who you make them to be in your heart. fuck what others say ya know?!

I think its awesome the guys are finally getting the recognition we all know they deserve. Mainstream is AWESOME love flipping the station & hearing Shinedown.

Id Tell The "hey If you dont like shinedown Dont listen to the its as simple as that now stop your bithing(ive done it before and im sure ill do it again)" Nontheless mainstream bands arnt bad i mean look at ozzy/sabbath metallica skynyrd guns n roses and so many more amazing bands but pardon my french fuck whoever talks shit about shinedown, If all you have to do with your time is to demean bands that have overwhelming talent get a life!!

Re: Shinedown is Mainstream??

[quote="corey16"]I have been visiting different forums, youtube videos, and have heard people talking about Shinedown in a negative way[/quote]

Just ask them who they view as non-mainstream bands? I do and get answers like Blink 182, Green Day who are much more commercial than Shinedown. Or just ignore them :wink:

i agree with john_tx and the everyone on here. the fact that people are talking about Shinedown says something about them. They are doing something right inorder for people to be talking about them. I don't feel their music is mainstream. It has its own unique sound and has meaning unlike other songs on the radio. Corey16 I agree I also get annoyed when people talk about how much they love this band called Shinedown and the only song they know them for is Devour. I always tell them while Devour is a great song that is not the only song they have. lol. I proudly use Shinedown in my vocabulary every single day.

Yeah, I am glad people are starting to add the word "Shinedown" to their vocabulary, it's a start. Oh and does anyone else get annoyed when people say they love Shinedown when they can only name Shinedown's songs on the radio.

I have Loved Shinedown since LAW. Saying that, I'm glad people are talking about them so much. Whether its calling them mainstream or whatever right on. Having Shinedown on the tongues of as many people as possible is something I've tried to do for years. I talk about them all the time when the topic is music. For as many negative comments that are said hopefully a large amount of people will be curious enough to actually go listen to Shinedown and hopefully see how awesome they are LAW to now!

As far as mainstream.... Mainstream is such a general term. Most people say mainstream when it's a song or band a majority of people in a room would recognize. Snobs like to think music only they and one or two friends would know is better because its feels a little more personal. At least that's what I think. I can't say I didn't feel a little special knowing and loving Shinedown and others not knowing who the hell they were. But I like to share and spread the love hehe.

I think that mainstream for someone may very well be astranged and new to others. And as much as I would like to go about and comment in depth, I lack the amount of perspective you folks - early days die hard fans - may have.

All I know is that:
a) Music appreciation is a matter of taste, therefore is subjective
b) Calling any music as "mainstream" is an absolute
c) Dealing in absolutes encases and kills argumentation on any subject.

Or, in short, talk about it good, talk about it bad... so long as you talk about it, I'm a happy camper.

Do I even make sense? :)