A rant from a SD veteran

• A rant from a SD veteran
    AllAmericanDan1

I just got back from the show in Philadelphia last night and boy, it was a hoot. Chevelle was great, Sevendust was amazing, 10 Years is all right, and Puddle of Mudd...well, let's not go there. So finally Shinedown comes on, at first it seems like everyone is into it. SOM and Devour rocking the house. Then SD starts playing the non SOM songs, and it's like everyone forgot where in the Hell they were.

During "Heroes", Brent instead of singing the correct verse said "that's what I thought." I have no idea what this was about but I can only guess he was expecting the crowd to know the lyrics, they didn't and he wasn't happy. Later in the show he said "all of you who came here to see Simple Man, you start screaming, the rest of you who came to see ALL the Shinedown songs...you just stand there." Is he doing this during all the shows? If not, I think he's as tired as the Simple Men and Second Chancers as I am.

Who? Simple Men and Second Chancers as I call them, are the dildos who show up to SD shows ONLY to hear those respective songs. Don't get me wrong, I love those songs, but very little fires me up more than a live version of "Left Out" and to NOT hear people even know what in the great good God they are singing it upsets me, greatly. Now, I'm not expecting everyone to know everything about Shinedown and yes, as of late, many of the crowds are first time SD concert goers but still if that is the case, head to the back so no one can see you not know what the Hell is going on. Or just make some fucking noise! You don't need to know all the songs just to get into it, I know nothing by Sevendust and I was more into them than most of the people I was around. Those people thought I was a Sevendust fan...yeah, it's that easy folks.

I love Shinedown, ever since I saw them open for Van Halen in Chicago back in '04, I have almost everything they have produced despite the notable handicap of being from a northern state. Is it like this everywhere, because I have this idea that if I go see Shinedown in a southern state, it'll be much better. Because that's where their hardcore fans are...up here you have some people like me but mostly Second Chancers and other such newbies. Which is all right, if you make the effort into listening to all their songs. There's no reason why bad ass songs like Heroes, Left Out, Son of Sam, and Fly from the Inside should fall onto the ears those who are not willing to even bang their fucking heads. So to all the people who go to see Shinedown just to hear Second Chance and/or Simple Man...either get to the back or get out!!!

Submitted by AllAmericanDan1 on
Forum category
Is pro
No

sdcomputers

Sat, 07/31/2010 - 18:07

Ive noticed the same in the UK 50% of the crowd are there because its a night out and arnt there for any of the Bands . They are promoting SOM
so i would expect most of there set to be from the album but having seen them on every show on there UK tour it did get a bit tedius towards the end
with the same songs every time athough they did throw a couple of different songs into the set a few times.

Wow You go Dan.I saw my show in florida and the whole entire place was going fucking nuts for every single song , at some points I couldnt even hear brent cause the whole arena was singing.I think your right also because i have been listening to SD from the very beginning and asked my friends and family in new york how much they love them and they had no clue who they are.Brent had nothing bad to say to anyone at my show(pretty much,two stuck up textin, takin pics of themselves all night were told to stand the fuck up)sorry you had to deal with that crap though,guess for your next show your going to have to come down south lol

Dan, I'm getting what you're saying. I've noticed that at the last 2 concerts we've been two (in April in AC and in Jan in NYC), the crowd knows the last few ones off the radio, ie second chance and if you only knew, but I was one of 2 people singing 45. FORTY FIVE PEOPLE!!!

I'm sorry that had to have happened and unfortunately, you're preaching tot he choir here. However, I'm glad to know it because at least the little block of seats that Dave (rangersuk) and I have will be right in their face screaming at them! And happily Matt has been listening to them and Chevelle (he really like them) nonstop so he knows all the lyrics to the songs.

ShinedownChica

Sat, 07/31/2010 - 21:28

Yeahh Dan I get what you mean cuz I'm up north too. I'm a NY girl and people up here are fuckin dip shits!!!!! but the first show i went to was down in florida and i may have been the only 1 in my section to know all the words to every song, but i mean they knew all or at least most the songs and screamed and got excited and we were in one of the worst sections for seats in the whole arena! And Simple Men and Second Chancers drive me insane!!!! Second Chance used to be my absolute favorite song of all time, and now cuz of these mother fuckin douche bags pretty much ruined the song for me and i couldnt even listen to it for a few months..... it was fuckin depressing!!!!!!

carissalyn

Sat, 07/31/2010 - 21:55

I'm hoping our crowd is good tomorrow. Boston/New England crowds tend to be lame in general. :( I hope they're not, I'm SO psyched they have Left Out and Fly From the Inside on that setlist.

FWIW though when I've seen SD up here before, people were definitely singing along to I Dare You and Save Me, 45, at least, if maybe not some of the lesser known ones.

crazyquinn05

Sun, 08/01/2010 - 18:49

[quote="allamericandan1"]I just got back from the show in Philadelphia last night and boy, it was a hoot. Chevelle was great, Sevendust was amazing, 10 Years is all right, and Puddle of Mudd...well, let's not go there. So finally Shinedown comes on, at first it seems like everyone is into it. SOM and Devour rocking the house. Then SD starts playing the non SOM songs, and it's like everyone forgot where in the Hell they were.

During "Heroes", Brent instead of singing the correct verse said "that's what I thought." I have no idea what this was about but I can only guess he was expecting the crowd to know the lyrics, they didn't and he wasn't happy. Later in the show he said "all of you who came here to see Simple Man, you start screaming, the rest of you who came to see ALL the Shinedown songs...you just stand there." Is he doing this during all the shows? If not, I think he's as tired as the Simple Men and Second Chancers as I am.

Who? Simple Men and Second Chancers as I call them, are the dildos who show up to SD shows ONLY to hear those respective songs. Don't get me wrong, I love those songs, but very little fires me up more than a live version of "Left Out" and to NOT hear people even know what in the great good God they are singing it upsets me, greatly. Now, I'm not expecting everyone to know everything about Shinedown and yes, as of late, many of the crowds are first time SD concert goers but still if that is the case, head to the back so no one can see you not know what the Hell is going on. Or just make some fucking noise! You don't need to know all the songs just to get into it, I know nothing by Sevendust and I was more into them than most of the people I was around. Those people thought I was a Sevendust fan...yeah, it's that easy folks.

I love Shinedown, ever since I saw them open for Van Halen in Chicago back in '04, I have almost everything they have produced despite the notable handicap of being from a northern state. Is it like this everywhere, because I have this idea that if I go see Shinedown in a southern state, it'll be much better. Because that's where their hardcore fans are...up here you have some people like me but mostly Second Chancers and other such newbies. Which is all right, if you make the effort into listening to all their songs. There's no reason why bad ass songs like Heroes, Left Out, Son of Sam, and Fly from the Inside should fall onto the ears those who are not willing to even bang their fucking heads. So to all the people who go to see Shinedown just to hear Second Chance and/or Simple Man...either get to the back or get out!!![/quote]

that was awesome lol! the second chancers thing was perfect! i applaud u! :!:

sdcomputers

Sun, 08/01/2010 - 19:04

I only really got into the Band after seeing them open for Disturbed at Brixton ( I actually downloaded the SOM to have a listen before seeing them as they were the Support and TBO Devour blew me away as did most of the Album and that was on the 1st listen so after seeing them live ( wasnt the best performance prob due to sitting at the side and being unable to hear them very well) I have become a Honorary Addict . My only moan would be with the Record Company not the band who are milking the Album for all its worth by releasing nearly everything as a single thank god for Diamond Eyes
and Alice

Well one more song is slated for release as as single, and if so, that's 6 songs off of one album. Honestly, you can't name many bands that do that anymore. They are lucky to get 2-3. I think the last band that did was Green Day and American Idiot. But I agree, I think any song could be released as a single off of SoM.

And as a side note to the rant, Matt read it last night and agreed. So to make sure he knew the words, I created a CD with the setlist in order so he can listen to it in the car nonstop. I'm so lucky :)

ShinedownChica

Sun, 08/01/2010 - 21:09

I actually like how they release a lot of singles.... then when im stuck listening to the radio, i get more of a shinedown variety... (although around here most radio stations ONLY know Second Chance) i like seeing the multiple videos and everything.... =)

I'm with kristen,I really like the singles,the videos and think its amazing how many good songs can become singles from one album. On albums these days I have to fast forward at least 3 songs I dont like.

ShinedownChica

Sun, 08/01/2010 - 21:41

yeahh i find that with a lot of music now too jay... it just aint good enough and all my music is on my ipod so a few songs off most cds i delete from my itunes cuz they i dont wanna hear them.... its a good thing if so many songs can be turned into singles... it just means everyone wants to hear more cuz a lot of people dont buy music they just listen to the radio or watch vids on MTV/VH1/Fuse and listen to that stuff

videos on mtv/vh1 ha no such thing. I cant stand those channels,my wife sits there and watches pregnant teens and stars tryin to find love. give me a fuckin break with this bullshit reality crap.my tv in the garage stays on fuse and paladia.

ShinedownChica

Sun, 08/01/2010 - 22:03

yeah i watch fuse and cartoons (never too old for those) XD i watch 1 reality show Big Brother lol and i might watch american idol which i cant stand anymore since its turned into "Americas Next Nobody Pop Star" cuz i know a girl whos auditioning

you need to check out paladia, its all live concerts

ShinedownChica

Mon, 08/02/2010 - 00:13

ill have to figure out what channel that is.... so its good?

sdcomputers

Mon, 08/02/2010 - 03:55

[quote="aromaine"]Well one more song is slated for release as as single, and if so, that's 6 songs off of one album. Honestly, you can't name many bands that do that anymore. They are lucky to get 2-3. I think the last band that did was Green Day and American Idiot. But I agree, I think any song could be released as a single off of SoM.

And as a side note to the rant, Matt read it last night and agreed. So to make sure he knew the words, I created a CD with the setlist in order so he can listen to it in the car nonstop. I'm so lucky :)[/quote]

I agree that they are all potential Singles it just annoys me when they end up releasing the whole album as singles at least the Record company could of put a unreleased Demo or unissued track on the Flip side.

But i dont think the band have much control over what is released by Atlantic

ShinedownChica

Mon, 08/02/2010 - 10:07

Theyre just gettin more of the songs out to the public who dont always buy music.... it convinces more sales (i think? im kinda makin this up) cuz most people i know will only buy the singles off itunes.... so the sell more singles, and more people probly like enough of the music that whole SOM albums are being bought more.... thats what i think.... and if the people want more Shinedown, is it really a bad thing? i think not =)

We attended the south carolina show and people went nuts and sang EVERTHING. Me and my wife love all their music. Hell, our 10 & 8 year old know damn near every word to every song. Of course they choose not to sing the bad words...."I'm still laughing like hmmmmm". they are a riot. i agree with everything you said. any second chancers need to sit/stand in the back of the arenas and leave the front to us !!!!

ShinedownChica

Mon, 08/02/2010 - 13:00

yeahh cuz i was stuck in the back people knew the songs, but usually only the chorus, and some were just there and didnt move the whole time... the girl next to me made a comment, and i wouldve punched her if i didnt think id get kicked out for it.....

rangersuk

Mon, 08/02/2010 - 14:31

Way to go Matt, that was agreat idea!!

I hope my singing doesn't bother you guys, love to sing but sound like shit!! Hopefully Brent can drown me out!!

I am coming to the show Thursday with my 31 year old daughter and she has a 5 year old that loves to rock! Thats 3 generations of Shinedown Lovers!! Thankfully my wife has the patience to take her this month to see The Jonas Brothers!!

I will never get tired of Second Chance but I am so tired of the Second Chancers out there as well, but then again they come with every Rock Band. I totally agree to give the up front seats to someone that will make the band proud.

ShinedownChica

Mon, 08/02/2010 - 15:29

they should.... and someone tried to switch spots with me since I was more dedicated to the band but damn security wouldnt let us...

@ Rangersuk You and me both! We can all be offkey together, but at least we're going to be rocking!

@ Kristen Palladia is really awesome. We got to see the Foo Fighter Wembley (I think?) concert on there. That's been my favorite so far.

@ SDcomputers I do think you're right about who picks the singles. And you can see how they've been going with the "softer", radio friendly songs. Still think it's going to be like Call Me or Breaking Inside, but I'd love it if Cyanide got the win. Don't think it's going to be What a Shame, not really a radio single song, but I didn't really think TCATB was either...so shows what I know.

sdcomputers

Mon, 08/02/2010 - 18:19

As far as i was aware the way the record company works is
they give you a set contract for 2, 3 ,4 years with the view that the Artist in that time is under contract to release x number of Albums within there contract time . The record company would also pay the Band a sum upfront which they will obviouslly like to get back plus a profit .I think the Record company will decide to release a single and whether the band have a say in what is on it I dont know but the Company normally decide to release .
I dont know what royalties the band get but I wouldnt be suprised if the record company creams at least 75% of sales . So obviously the more singles they release the more money they make.

Yes aromaine that was wembley(awesome wasnt it)but the linkin park is just as good too

ShinedownChica

Mon, 08/02/2010 - 21:42

i love foo fighters and linkin park... ill have to figure out what channel that is =)

inked4life

Tue, 08/03/2010 - 07:24

twilight, you and me both have such similar tastes in music, it is pretty cool.

ShinedownChica

Tue, 08/03/2010 - 10:58

i think thats all of us though =) and yes it's definitely cool... most people around here are banjo bangers as i call them.... gross.....

banjo bangers = country music listeners who sleep with everyone possible and pretend to be rednecks

sdcomputers

Tue, 08/03/2010 - 14:07

Nothing wrong with Country Music

ShinedownChica

Tue, 08/03/2010 - 14:34

no offense to anyone who likes it, but i HATE it....

rangersuk

Tue, 08/03/2010 - 15:17

I'm with you, can't stand it myself, and again no offence, to each his own. My father played it all the time and I needed to rebel!!
Do you know what happens when you play a country song backwards, the wife doesn't leave, the dog doesn't die, and the pickup truck will start!!!

I just got back from the show in Philadelphia last night and boy, it was a hoot. Chevelle was great, Sevendust was amazing, 10 Years is all right, and Puddle of Mudd...well, let's not go there. So finally Shinedown comes on, at first it seems like everyone is into it. SOM and Devour rocking the house. Then SD starts playing the non SOM songs, and it's like everyone forgot where in the Hell they were.

I love Shinedown, ever since I saw them open for Van Halen in Chicago back in '04, I have almost everything they have produced despite the notable handicap of being from a northern state. Is it like this everywhere, because I have this idea that if I go see Shinedown in a southern state, it'll be much better. Because that's where their hardcore fans are...up here you have some people like me but mostly Second Chancers and other such newbies. Which is all right, if you make the effort into listening to all their songs. There's no reason why bad ass songs like Heroes, Left Out, Son of Sam, and Fly from the Inside should fall onto the ears those who are not willing to even bang their fucking heads. So to all the people who go to see Shinedown just to hear Second Chance and/or Simple Man...either get to the back or get out!!!

comments

Can someone who has been…

Can someone who has been gambling for years be called a gaming veteran? Nevertheless, it is important not to get hung up on classic games and solutions, but also to try something new, such as bitcoin wheel https://tower.bet/wheel. At Towerbet, you can try your luck at earning bitcoin, which will definitely be relevant for anyone right now.

Yeah, I know what you mean, amateur's,beginners and part time Rockers who think they know everything about particular Bands and yet know little to nothing of what they are talking about. They need to really love said band and keep their mouth shut if they don't know what their talking about or listening to and not bother coming to a concert if their not true fans or only want to hear 1 or 2 of the songs! Love all or nothing and get the f#ck out! :roll:

I have not even had the opportunity to see Shinedown live yet as I live in Phoenix but were I to get that chance I would know every word to every song and it would not matter to me which songs they played,new or old, I know proper concert behavior and would be jumping up and down in the zone! God help any Idiots who scream for songs not on the play list that are near me or are just there to f#ck around or mess up my good time!! I've been going to concerts since the 70s and I don't play that sh#t! Any thing Shinedown wants to play works for me as I would feel happy just to be in their presence and listening to them ROCK!!

Come to FL...

Come to Jax Fl. They started the Carnival there. Most of the crowd knew what the hell was going on, thank goodness, and really got into the show. I wasn't there to see Sevendust, either, but I have seen them before and they put on a hell of a show, so I was really into it. So I agree. Whether you know or like whatever band you are watching, show some f'n respect. These guys play their hearts out for us- the least we could do is get into it! Now, I don't know how the crowd is going to be in Tampa for the acoustic show, but I have experienced Tampa crowds before- they can be fickle. Makes you wanna slap the person next to you. LMAO :twisted:

Yeah, I was singing along to all the songs! Such an awesome show!

I noticed the same thing in Chicago for Carnival of Madness...granted, it was a long, hot-ass day, but people seemed to be into SOM and Devour...then came some songs from US & Them and they knew none of the words...Brent and Eric seemed pretty pissed, even saying that they would sing Simple Man and call it a night...

I was pretty bummed about this and that the crowd seemed dead after 3 songs. Good to see though that Chicago wasn't the only venue this happened at. Which might explain no Chicago stop on the Acoustic Tour.

Re: Second Chancers

[quote="dynalo"]I hear you brother!
There is nothing more frustrating than fighting your way as close to the stage as you can get... just have them stand around with their thumb up their ass if its not "45" or "Crow and Butterfly" (Great Songs/Crowd Pleasers). Fans have to start somewhere. The more tickets that sell (even to the second chancers)... The more shows SD gonna put on!
My 1st SD show was @ The Gothic in Denver, Colorado and the Playlist Rocked! If I remember correctly they started the show W/ "Left Out"! Totally Rocked the crowd! Don't get me wrong, I like all the radio played tunes. But, personally I say the deeper the cut the better. "Yer Majesty" & "Trade Yourself In" & "Hereos" rocked live.
Can't wait to see Shinedown in Colorado again...
We are doin our best to "Spread the Madness"
[quote] "You can cage an animal, but you can't take away The Rage"[/quote][/quote]

I recall posting a similar discussion back in january about a show i was at. if it wasnt 2nd chance or IYOK, the people stood around looking pretty clueless. brent did his best, but its just sad going to the shows and people are into maybe 4 songs.

Interesting. Sat night at the Allegan County Fair Brent screamed during "Heroes" "We can't hear you!!" then suddenly his microphone went up. I told my niece not to worry I didn't think we'd have to drive 2 1/2 hours to see them there again. I love SD and there was no energy from that crowd. Ironic how she and I sat down during "45" and everyone else got out their lighters.

Second Chancers

I hear you brother!
There is nothing more frustrating than fighting your way as close to the stage as you can get... just have them stand around with their thumb up their ass if its not "45" or "Crow and Butterfly" (Great Songs/Crowd Pleasers). Fans have to start somewhere. The more tickets that sell (even to the second chancers)... The more shows SD gonna put on!
My 1st SD show was @ The Gothic in Denver, Colorado and the Playlist Rocked! If I remember correctly they started the show W/ "Left Out"! Totally Rocked the crowd! Don't get me wrong, I like all the radio played tunes. But, personally I say the deeper the cut the better. "Yer Majesty" & "Trade Yourself In" & "Hereos" rocked live.
Can't wait to see Shinedown in Colorado again...
We are doin our best to "Spread the Madness"
[quote] "You can cage an animal, but you can't take away The Rage"[/quote]

[quote="dalamar"]Well, I'll get my fix in Portalnd, a week from now... so....[/quote]
sweet dal i hope you have a great show and you get to see all the exciting things the carnival will bring your way it is trully an amazing experience.

I never have my fix.... and no way in hell is shinedownaholicism gonna be the reason i go to any kind of rehab

Well, I'll get my fix in Portalnd, a week from now... so....

same here i've been on a fixed dosage of shinedown every day since '03 and I need more and more every time. I just got my fix this past Sunday at the Dallas Show I'm jonesin right now needs me some more live Sd.

[quote="shinedownjunkie45"]we are called shinedownaholics my friend!!!! :)[/quote]

I'm already in rehab for Shinedownaholicism...if I don't hear Diamond Eyes every 12 minutes...I get angry, and you wouldn't like me if I were angry... :twisted:

[quote="shinedownjunkie45"]we are called shinedownaholics my friend!!!! :)[/quote]

Approved!

we are called shinedownaholics my friend!!!! :)

haha thats great.... I dont think Brent or any of the guys would do something like that though....

i dunno just opinion i guess.......

Not knowing the songs is how I got into sick puppies. It kind of is fun to learn who they are live and get into a new band that way.

[quote="allamericandan1"]I don't think you need to do homework for a concert, and sometimes that takes away from the surprise of first seeing and hearing of a band live. I knew of Sevendust but never heard any of their stuff before COM and, as posted in the rant, people thought I was a Sevendust fan because I was so into 'em. And all I did was cheer and head bang.

There's your lesson for the day kids, if you don't want to do your concert homework just go to the concert and if you dig the music...bang your head and cheer![/quote]

AMEN! :)

you dont gotta see it as homework.... i just download it and put my music on shuffle like a usually do and see what i like and what i dont....

I don't think you need to do homework for a concert, and sometimes that takes away from the surprise of first seeing and hearing of a band live. I knew of Sevendust but never heard any of their stuff before COM and, as posted in the rant, people thought I was a Sevendust fan because I was so into 'em. And all I did was cheer and head bang.

There's your lesson for the day kids, if you don't want to do your concert homework just go to the concert and if you dig the music...bang your head and cheer!

yeahh, i think that if youre gonna go drop money on a concert, i think you should really know the bands, and become familiar with other bands that ya dont know as much before going.... i downloaded sevendust stuff before COM cuz i only knew a few songs....

[quote="blessmy4"]I think that to me, if I am going to invest in going to see a band, then I want to know that music. I started with Leave a Whisper, but later went and got Us & Them then SOM when it came out. I am one of those people, if I don't totally love that band, then I'm not going to invest the time & money into seeing them live.

So, not that is really an answer to any of this, but it's just how I feel about knowing the music. Some people just have a "throw away" attitude. What I mean by that, is they follow the band wagon, they will like someone/band, until the next big thing comes along. If I am into your music, I'm a fan for life. I love to see how the bands change and grow?!?!

Hope all of that made sense?!?! :?[/quote]

Actually yes, that makes perfect sense and come to realize, I actually do that too. Of course if Matt wants to see a band that I only know marginally, I will still go, but yes, I will learn more about them. So thanks for saying that, as I think that's part of the issue.

[quote="blessmy4"]I think that to me, if I am going to invest in going to see a band, then I want to know that music. I started with Leave a Whisper, but later went and got Us & Them then SOM when it came out. I am one of those people, if I don't totally love that band, then I'm not going to invest the time & money into seeing them live.

So, not that is really an answer to any of this, but it's just how I feel about knowing the music. Some people just have a "throw away" attitude. What I mean by that, is they follow the band wagon, they will like someone/band, until the next big thing comes along. If I am into your music, I'm a fan for life. I love to see how the bands change and grow?!?!

Hope all of that made sense?!?! :?[/quote]

I agree, if you're going to go to a concert at least brush up on the music of the band that way you can have a good time and not just stand there like a zombie. I didn't really know the music of 10 years or Chevelle so I downloaded their songs so when I went to the concert I could listen to the music and have a good time. Now I really enjoy their music.

I think that to me, if I am going to invest in going to see a band, then I want to know that music. I started with Leave a Whisper, but later went and got Us & Them then SOM when it came out. I am one of those people, if I don't totally love that band, then I'm not going to invest the time & money into seeing them live.

Hope all of that made sense?!?! :?

When do you ever make an ass of yourself?

Couldn't we just agree that, whether they came for one or fourteen songs, the essential is that they came... period? :)

Oh, nvm... different subject.

I'll take both now. Thanks! :)

I agree with Tony...you can have both Dal. I'm having a beer right now. Cheers!

I get what Dan is saying, because I feel like that too at times. If you're not a huge fan, make way for those that are. That's putting it bluntly but I have had a hugely long week and don't have the eloquence of Dal. I did that when it was my turn. My first SD concert, I went and stood in the back to see what things were like. And I got hooked. And went to concert after concert and I get that "I wanna hear second chance!!" or "Play Simple Man!!! That's sooo my song!!" all the time, all the while trying to enjoy the concert (minus this last one, that was just f'n awesome...but then again, I was surrounded by great fans), but being bumped into, or stood in front of (I'm only 5'6"), or any of other issues. Maybe the issue really isn't hardcore fans vs new fans, maybe it's just general admission like Dan also pointed out. I don't know if I'm even making sense now.

However, this also isn't to discourage new fans. Because that next new fan might end up joining here and becoming a great member to this family. And I realize that. And the more fans they get, the more exposure and more success they get. Like, we are going to see the STP concert in a few weeks @ PNC. We've seen STP a ton, almost as many times as SD. We are actually going to this one because the opening band is Cage the Elephant - a band Matt got into because one of their songs was in a game he played. He liked it, bought the CD, and now we're going to the concert. Have no clue if we'll like them or not, so we went with run of the mill back section seats. Let those that REALLY want to see them get closer. And maybe in time we'll be big fans of them too.

Ok I will stop now before I make more of an ass of myself.

While SoM is what drew me to SD too, i listened to the clips of their other two cds and immediately knew that i was buying them. such a great variety of music while still having that voice that drew me in, he has such rawness in his voice.

hoe bout both?

(Twilight.. and all of you that don't rightly know, I am a SoM-found fan - that's what made me discover SD. I've learned to listen to their previous work after SoM)

Another point that I feel we miss entirely in this discussion which affects greatly previous work exposure is music purchases (hopefully) habits that have evolved since Dan & I were kids.

We used to go to stores and buy CD's (yes vinyls & tapes, too...we're THAT old!) and choose from all those releases. It took several hours to buy a few albums, if you weren't impulsive. Plus, we had to front between 15$ and 40$ to get what we wanted: at that price, you listen to the whole album.

Nowadays, since you can buy a song and download it instantly for a buck or so, a lot of people will simply buy the singles (not unlike us, back in the days, with SP vinyls) and be off to another artist. Maybe I am stretching this a tad too far, but it is my unsubstantiated, neophyte opinion that it is entirely possible the level of exposure to band's work has diminished due to the method of acquisition....

Again, I may be completely out of line...

I need a hug...

.. or a beer.

I just got back from a concert where these two chicks asked me if Her Name is Alice was on the Sound of Madness CD...I was like O.o um no, can you not look at the screens around and notice the pictures of the movie Alice in Wonderland?? Dummies I tell you.

Anywho, I used to be like that when I first saw them in concert way back about a year ago. I really enjoy their concerts and music, even back when I didn't know very many of their songs but they stuck with me and I can go to a concert and sing every song that they play. It does tick off the die hards when you hear "I'm only here to hear Simple Man, Sound of Madness, and Second Chance and then I'm outta here." and "C'mon play Second Chance already." or at least I was when I went last night. But at least they're getting exposure and hopefully more and more people will learn about Shinedown and their awesome music that we love dearly.

Im a newer SD fan.... didnt even know them til right before the release of SOM and didnt become a CRAZY fan til some time last year when i became an absolute addict.... so I dunno the success of every single.... but its like dal said, they aint the biggest band, so people dont know all their songs, not even all the singles.... or maybe they just heard it a couple times on the radio and never looked into them.... a lot of people just turn on the radio and only buy cds so only bands the person was really into previously or a few newer ones stuck in their head and they decided to try out their music.... so a lot of people aint complete music junkies who folllow much..... am i making sense or rambling?

[quote="dalamar"]I'm a tad late too on this but...

Dan, I respect the hell out of your opinion, but it's to "no one's fault" if the crowd's exposure to SD differs from one concert to another. As much as we love the music, they are NOT YET international musical icons, whereas the "SIMPLE MAN" song has been released 37 years ago, when none of the boys were even a project...

All I'm saying is this: Despite the 400ish dates from the late SoM tour (or one of its sister tours), Brent & the Gang need to add the "cool factor" in the fact that not all of the people who paid to see them live have had your kind of SD exposure and most of them will not have had the simple curiosity to research the music they liked on the radio to hear what else SD had done in the past. You're almost a full generation apart from their major radio successes and your first VH + SD show, plus you had the wits to explore SD world much deeper than most kids care to these days. There are a lot of teens around me and most make me listen to what they like (because they know I love music). They usually make me listen to 10-15 songs in 4 ~ 5 minutes... 20 seconds per shot. How can you even expect them to know lyrics if that's how they "browse" through art?

I feel your pain – Bobbette can attest – When we saw them last for a full gig, most peeps knew some songs, everyone knew IYOK, Second Chance, Simple Man and .45. and few rocked to the older stuff. Isn’t it what happened when Rushed came out with Power Windows? Or Vah Halen with 5150? Or Metallica with Metallica? Give them time to get used to SoM’s hits, then they’ll start to appreciate SoM’s real songs… and later, they’ll crave for something new… and the new will be the old to us.

Do I even make sense here?[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not all bent out of shape over people not knowing Shinedown. Its fool hearty to think everyone who comes to a SD show will know every song. And I also realize how hypocritical it sounds of me to bash the people who come for Simple Man when I myself was first attracted to this band by Simple Man itself (well, 45 was the first song, Simple Man made me into a fan), but that was during a live show...not the radio or anything (if that had anything to do with my ramblings...)

Maybe I wasn't clear on this in my initial rant (after all, it's a rant, not a well thought out article). My biggest problem with all of this is these people don't seem to know how to behave at a rock show. When I don't feel like going apeshit, I park myself in the seats/bleachers wherever because I don't feel like giving 1,000% that night. Plus, I hate general admission...I really, truly do.

My thing to, to go with your Rush and VH arguments, is that the only songs anyone seemed to know by SD were SOM songs and Simple Man (and 45). But Heroes drew some kind of blank. In a VH or Rush show, that would be the equivalent of no one knowing "Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love" or "The Spirit of Radio," Heroes was a relatively successful song and a single...people for all intents and purposes should know this song. I'm not expecting them to know Diamond Eyes or Alice or Son of Sam...but for those songs, if you like them, for Pete's sake bang your head, ya know?

You do make some good points, which I alluded to earlier though.

good points dal

I'm a tad late too on this but...

Dan, I respect the hell out of your opinion, but it's to "no one's fault" if the crowd's exposure to SD differs from one concert to another. As much as we love the music, they are NOT YET international musical icons, whereas the "SIMPLE MAN" song has been released 37 years ago, when none of the boys were even a project...

All I'm saying is this: Despite the 400ish dates from the late SoM tour (or one of its sister tours), Brent & the Gang need to add the "cool factor" in the fact that not all of the people who paid to see them live have had your kind of SD exposure and most of them will not have had the simple curiosity to research the music they liked on the radio to hear what else SD had done in the past. You're almost a full generation apart from their major radio successes and your first VH + SD show, plus you had the wits to explore SD world much deeper than most kids care to these days. There are a lot of teens around me and most make me listen to what they like (because they know I love music). They usually make me listen to 10-15 songs in 4 ~ 5 minutes... 20 seconds per shot. How can you even expect them to know lyrics if that's how they "browse" through art?

I feel your pain – Bobbette can attest – When we saw them last for a full gig, most peeps knew some songs, everyone knew IYOK, Second Chance, Simple Man and .45. and few rocked to the older stuff. Isn’t it what happened when Rushed came out with Power Windows? Or Vah Halen with 5150? Or Metallica with Metallica? Give them time to get used to SoM’s hits, then they’ll start to appreciate SoM’s real songs… and later, they’ll crave for something new… and the new will be the old to us.

Do I even make sense here?

Yeahh, I just felt bad, cuz I thought ya took what I said differently than I meant it... and yes yes yes i LOOOOOOVE Shinedown ♥♥♥

All is good, I just didn't want you to get the wrong idea. And YES we all LOVE
Shinedown!!!!

haha sorry i was confused (it happens a lot with me) and honestly i didnt mean for it to sound defensive, cuz it wasnt meant like that.... im sorry.... but yes we all LOVE Shinedown =)

[quote]don't say ya havent been around as long as us if you say husband, im still in high school =P and im newer to shinedown too, but i know all the words to all the songs cuz im a dork.... and not knowing the words dont mean ya aint a die hard fan.... but the guys know who we are (not specificly, but they knows who their REAL fans are like us[/quote]

I don't think you get what I am saying!!!! I don't mean been around as in on this earth, I mean been around as long as others here on the site/as fans. 2nd, I was giving answers to who wrote the "rant" in the first place. They said they were upset because people didn't know the words to the songs. You seem to be just a little negative. Your don't have to be so defensive, we are all here because we LOVE SD!!!!

don't say ya havent been around as long as us if you say husband, im still in high school =P and im newer to shinedown too, but i know all the words to all the songs cuz im a dork.... and not knowing the words dont mean ya aint a die hard fan.... but the guys know who we are (not specificly, but they knows who their REAL fans are like us)

Okay, I am getting in alittle late on this I guess, but I was at the Philly show as well. I can say that I don't remember Brent saying "that's what I thought", but I do remember him asking if we were there to hear Simple Man or the Rest Of The Shinedown Songs. I was one yelling for the Rest Of The Shinedown Songs. So, here are my thoughts, this may be a time that they have the fans that only know what they hear on the radio, but when all that settles down again, there will still be the die hard fans. I wouldn't say I am a newbie to SD, but I haven't been around as long as you either. My husband went with me, and he is one that doesn't know all of the songs, but he did try and move around alittle, banging his head, yells, etc. We even had quite a few people leave DURING SD?!?! What does that tell you. On the other hand, I did talk to some really great people there as well. I hope that they didn't leave with a sour taste in there mouths? I had a blast, and can't wait to see them again in September....With all that being said, just remember that you are a TRUE fan, and don't sweat the rest!!!! :roll:

Kristen, I mean Palladia, sorry.

And we'll have to see what he does tomorrow. (about time I can say tomorrow!!)

I got this one from a show we went to in NYC in January. Brent dedicated a song for my daughters birthday, so cool!!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU-MES4NJAs

I got this one from a show we went to in NYC in January. Brent dedicated a song for my daughters birthday, so cool!!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU-MES4NJAs

I've gotta bunch of videos on there actually, plus a lot of past ones from SD and a lotta other bands. :) I basically go to concerts as a hobby these days lol.

Great video!!
I can't wait for my show...26 hours and counting...

So, back on topic ;) he did the same thing w/ Heroes at the MA show. FWIW we had an awesome crowd (on Twitter he said the best yet) and everyone around me was sining along, even to songs like Son of Sam, Diamond eyes, etc that a lot of people wouldn't know.

Here's the video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZurz-mKSL4

Hey who you callin you people lol
aromaine R.Cheese at your reception would be sooo hysterical,one to definitly remember What songs would you have him do?

yeahh i know what channel fuse is, but that paladia thing.... no idea.... til you people told me, i had no clue it even existed....

[quote="jayrbk1"]The only country I listen to is bluegrass covers of rock songs just cause its funny but if you want to hear some really funny shit look up Richard Cheese W/ Lounge against the machine, freakin hysterical[/quote]

Hahha, he IS funny. The best man at our wedding really wanted us to book him for our reception.

As for Fuse, just go to your cable website. They should have the listing. Like I have Comcast and its like 880 something.

cool i live near albany... and maybe when i aint babysittin and watchin boring shit like jacks big music show at the same time i will =)

Hey I'm originally from BROOKLYN

The only country I listen to is bluegrass covers of rock songs just cause its funny but if you want to hear some really funny shit look up Richard Cheese W/ Lounge against the machine, freakin hysterical

yeahh umm babe, i live in NY i dunno Florida companies! lol

lmfao, sorry, thats a cable company here

whats brighthouse???

Ha Dave your crazy. Kristen if you have brighthouse its like 1372, 1373 in that area.

yeahh, growing up wit my gma since there were problems wit my parents for a while when i was younger, country and gospel were all i ever heard.... never liked it.... ahahaha thats definitely truee cuz thats more than 90% of country music for ya!

I'm with you, can't stand it myself, and again no offence, to each his own. My father played it all the time and I needed to rebel!!
Do you know what happens when you play a country song backwards, the wife doesn't leave, the dog doesn't die, and the pickup truck will start!!!

no offense to anyone who likes it, but i HATE it....

Nothing wrong with Country Music

i think thats all of us though =) and yes it's definitely cool... most people around here are banjo bangers as i call them.... gross.....

banjo bangers = country music listeners who sleep with everyone possible and pretend to be rednecks

twilight, you and me both have such similar tastes in music, it is pretty cool.

i love foo fighters and linkin park... ill have to figure out what channel that is =)

Yes aromaine that was wembley(awesome wasnt it)but the linkin park is just as good too

As far as i was aware the way the record company works is
they give you a set contract for 2, 3 ,4 years with the view that the Artist in that time is under contract to release x number of Albums within there contract time . The record company would also pay the Band a sum upfront which they will obviouslly like to get back plus a profit .I think the Record company will decide to release a single and whether the band have a say in what is on it I dont know but the Company normally decide to release .
I dont know what royalties the band get but I wouldnt be suprised if the record company creams at least 75% of sales . So obviously the more singles they release the more money they make.

@ Rangersuk You and me both! We can all be offkey together, but at least we're going to be rocking!

@ Kristen Palladia is really awesome. We got to see the Foo Fighter Wembley (I think?) concert on there. That's been my favorite so far.

@ SDcomputers I do think you're right about who picks the singles. And you can see how they've been going with the "softer", radio friendly songs. Still think it's going to be like Call Me or Breaking Inside, but I'd love it if Cyanide got the win. Don't think it's going to be What a Shame, not really a radio single song, but I didn't really think TCATB was either...so shows what I know.

they should.... and someone tried to switch spots with me since I was more dedicated to the band but damn security wouldnt let us...

Way to go Matt, that was agreat idea!!

I hope my singing doesn't bother you guys, love to sing but sound like shit!! Hopefully Brent can drown me out!!

I am coming to the show Thursday with my 31 year old daughter and she has a 5 year old that loves to rock! Thats 3 generations of Shinedown Lovers!! Thankfully my wife has the patience to take her this month to see The Jonas Brothers!!

I will never get tired of Second Chance but I am so tired of the Second Chancers out there as well, but then again they come with every Rock Band. I totally agree to give the up front seats to someone that will make the band proud.

yeahh cuz i was stuck in the back people knew the songs, but usually only the chorus, and some were just there and didnt move the whole time... the girl next to me made a comment, and i wouldve punched her if i didnt think id get kicked out for it.....

We attended the south carolina show and people went nuts and sang EVERTHING. Me and my wife love all their music. Hell, our 10 & 8 year old know damn near every word to every song. Of course they choose not to sing the bad words...."I'm still laughing like hmmmmm". they are a riot. i agree with everything you said. any second chancers need to sit/stand in the back of the arenas and leave the front to us !!!!

Theyre just gettin more of the songs out to the public who dont always buy music.... it convinces more sales (i think? im kinda makin this up) cuz most people i know will only buy the singles off itunes.... so the sell more singles, and more people probly like enough of the music that whole SOM albums are being bought more.... thats what i think.... and if the people want more Shinedown, is it really a bad thing? i think not =)

[quote="aromaine"]Well one more song is slated for release as as single, and if so, that's 6 songs off of one album. Honestly, you can't name many bands that do that anymore. They are lucky to get 2-3. I think the last band that did was Green Day and American Idiot. But I agree, I think any song could be released as a single off of SoM.

And as a side note to the rant, Matt read it last night and agreed. So to make sure he knew the words, I created a CD with the setlist in order so he can listen to it in the car nonstop. I'm so lucky :)[/quote]

I agree that they are all potential Singles it just annoys me when they end up releasing the whole album as singles at least the Record company could of put a unreleased Demo or unissued track on the Flip side.

But i dont think the band have much control over what is released by Atlantic

ill have to figure out what channel that is.... so its good?

you need to check out paladia, its all live concerts

yeah i watch fuse and cartoons (never too old for those) XD i watch 1 reality show Big Brother lol and i might watch american idol which i cant stand anymore since its turned into "Americas Next Nobody Pop Star" cuz i know a girl whos auditioning

videos on mtv/vh1 ha no such thing. I cant stand those channels,my wife sits there and watches pregnant teens and stars tryin to find love. give me a fuckin break with this bullshit reality crap.my tv in the garage stays on fuse and paladia.

yeahh i find that with a lot of music now too jay... it just aint good enough and all my music is on my ipod so a few songs off most cds i delete from my itunes cuz they i dont wanna hear them.... its a good thing if so many songs can be turned into singles... it just means everyone wants to hear more cuz a lot of people dont buy music they just listen to the radio or watch vids on MTV/VH1/Fuse and listen to that stuff

I'm with kristen,I really like the singles,the videos and think its amazing how many good songs can become singles from one album. On albums these days I have to fast forward at least 3 songs I dont like.

I actually like how they release a lot of singles.... then when im stuck listening to the radio, i get more of a shinedown variety... (although around here most radio stations ONLY know Second Chance) i like seeing the multiple videos and everything.... =)

Well one more song is slated for release as as single, and if so, that's 6 songs off of one album. Honestly, you can't name many bands that do that anymore. They are lucky to get 2-3. I think the last band that did was Green Day and American Idiot. But I agree, I think any song could be released as a single off of SoM.

And as a side note to the rant, Matt read it last night and agreed. So to make sure he knew the words, I created a CD with the setlist in order so he can listen to it in the car nonstop. I'm so lucky :)

I only really got into the Band after seeing them open for Disturbed at Brixton ( I actually downloaded the SOM to have a listen before seeing them as they were the Support and TBO Devour blew me away as did most of the Album and that was on the 1st listen so after seeing them live ( wasnt the best performance prob due to sitting at the side and being unable to hear them very well) I have become a Honorary Addict . My only moan would be with the Record Company not the band who are milking the Album for all its worth by releasing nearly everything as a single thank god for Diamond Eyes
and Alice

Re: A rant from a SD veteran

[quote="allamericandan1"]I just got back from the show in Philadelphia last night and boy, it was a hoot. Chevelle was great, Sevendust was amazing, 10 Years is all right, and Puddle of Mudd...well, let's not go there. So finally Shinedown comes on, at first it seems like everyone is into it. SOM and Devour rocking the house. Then SD starts playing the non SOM songs, and it's like everyone forgot where in the Hell they were.

I love Shinedown, ever since I saw them open for Van Halen in Chicago back in '04, I have almost everything they have produced despite the notable handicap of being from a northern state. Is it like this everywhere, because I have this idea that if I go see Shinedown in a southern state, it'll be much better. Because that's where their hardcore fans are...up here you have some people like me but mostly Second Chancers and other such newbies. Which is all right, if you make the effort into listening to all their songs. There's no reason why bad ass songs like Heroes, Left Out, Son of Sam, and Fly from the Inside should fall onto the ears those who are not willing to even bang their fucking heads. So to all the people who go to see Shinedown just to hear Second Chance and/or Simple Man...either get to the back or get out!!![/quote]

that was awesome lol! the second chancers thing was perfect! i applaud u! :!:

I'm hoping our crowd is good tomorrow. Boston/New England crowds tend to be lame in general. :( I hope they're not, I'm SO psyched they have Left Out and Fly From the Inside on that setlist.

FWIW though when I've seen SD up here before, people were definitely singing along to I Dare You and Save Me, 45, at least, if maybe not some of the lesser known ones.

Yeahh Dan I get what you mean cuz I'm up north too. I'm a NY girl and people up here are fuckin dip shits!!!!! but the first show i went to was down in florida and i may have been the only 1 in my section to know all the words to every song, but i mean they knew all or at least most the songs and screamed and got excited and we were in one of the worst sections for seats in the whole arena! And Simple Men and Second Chancers drive me insane!!!! Second Chance used to be my absolute favorite song of all time, and now cuz of these mother fuckin douche bags pretty much ruined the song for me and i couldnt even listen to it for a few months..... it was fuckin depressing!!!!!!

Dan, I'm getting what you're saying. I've noticed that at the last 2 concerts we've been two (in April in AC and in Jan in NYC), the crowd knows the last few ones off the radio, ie second chance and if you only knew, but I was one of 2 people singing 45. FORTY FIVE PEOPLE!!!

I'm sorry that had to have happened and unfortunately, you're preaching tot he choir here. However, I'm glad to know it because at least the little block of seats that Dave (rangersuk) and I have will be right in their face screaming at them! And happily Matt has been listening to them and Chevelle (he really like them) nonstop so he knows all the lyrics to the songs.

Wow You go Dan.I saw my show in florida and the whole entire place was going fucking nuts for every single song , at some points I couldnt even hear brent cause the whole arena was singing.I think your right also because i have been listening to SD from the very beginning and asked my friends and family in new york how much they love them and they had no clue who they are.Brent had nothing bad to say to anyone at my show(pretty much,two stuck up textin, takin pics of themselves all night were told to stand the fuck up)sorry you had to deal with that crap though,guess for your next show your going to have to come down south lol

Ive noticed the same in the UK 50% of the crowd are there because its a night out and arnt there for any of the Bands . They are promoting SOM
so i would expect most of there set to be from the album but having seen them on every show on there UK tour it did get a bit tedius towards the end
with the same songs every time athough they did throw a couple of different songs into the set a few times.