I will be forever thankful

• I will be forever thankful
    rc.grimes

I have to back peddle a bit so people can understand this all.
    When I was very young my earliest memories were of my mother singing to my brothers and I. It wasn't until later I understood that was her way of shielding us from hearing my fathers rampages. As we grew up my mother was the constant and the protector but definitely imprinted on me the ability to let music lift/transport you.
    My mother had an affinity for southern rock(as well as celtic/folk) music. I'm sure she wore out several speakers/records and record players with CCR, Skynyrd and countless others. Whenever I was sick or had trouble sleeping she would sing "Simple Man" to me. It made everything okay like waiving a wand it seemed.
    Fast forward to 2002 and the birth of my son. For a multitude of reasons(not for here) I was a single dad with sole custody. My world changed in an instant. Learning how to feed&change a newborn can do that to the best of us! He had some scary and serious health issues and around this time my mom heard Shinedowns cover of "Simple Man" on the radio. Her exact words were that it made the original(Skynyrd) version sound like crap and she rushed to buy the album. She helped me with my son alot and anytime I left them alone she would sing to him and 99% of the time it was Simple Man. She had a copy of the album in her car, the living room, her office and even one in my sons room so she could play it while rocking him in her chair.
    My mom was diagnosed with cancer around this time. I lost her a little over a year later. I can't describe what it means for me to play that album and feel like she's with us. It meant so much for me to see her share that with my son. The first time he heard Simple Man after her death he looked for her.
    Fast forward several years and my son has been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome. He is extremely intelligent but isn't really present alot of the time. It's really hard to describe. The first time he heard "Call Me" it was like he was struck by lightning. It's like a switch gets flipped on when he hears that song. He can't resist singing that song. It has progressed to singing several of their songs. He now wants to take chorus in school and doesn't understand why they don't play Shinedown on American Idol(he want to be the first to sing Call Me on there). Since he has taken up singing it has helped his focus in school and helped alot with his symptoms. I have become my mother in alot of ways and have to keep an ipod with me most of the time so he can listen to his favorite songs. Granted I still well up when he sings Simple Man and says "my grandmom sings this with me".
    Shinedown has definitely kept what I was taught alive that music can help and heal you. I can't describe how grateful I am for the band and their music. I will be forever thankful.

Submitted by rc.grimes on
Forum category
Is pro
No

inked4life

Fri, 02/18/2011 - 20:29

What a touching story, thank you for opening up and sharing that with us.

rc.grimes

Fri, 02/18/2011 - 20:49

If I had found out ahead of time that the Warner Theatre, DC stop for the Anything and Everything tour was open for all ages I would have brought my son. My wife and I fealt like crap when we saw kids there. He would have loved it. I tried to find another location on the tour that was all ages and possible to get to but it just wasn't possible.
He would love to meet the band so I keep trying to find if there is any type of meet and greets or appearences scheduled anywhere.

Thanks for sharing your story with us. It made tears come to my eyes.
It's so great that Shinedown helps you and your son so much. I hope you and your son get to meet them soon.

crueangel

Sat, 02/19/2011 - 16:50

What an awesome, awesome story. Music was the one constant in my life as well and has helped me through some tough times. I have no doubt that you and your son will get to meet Shinedown the next time they are on tour. I first meet them at the Carnival of Madness, and though there weren't a lot of youngsters, there were some there. There was a meet & greet after the show if you bought a cd. Even though I already had the cd, I bought one anyway, just so I could thank them for their music. I met them again on the A&E tour for my Birthday.

You and your family are very brave, and even though your mom is no longer with you, she is always shining down on you and your son.

Best of luck to you, and welcome to the Shinedown family! We are always here if you need us!

{{HUGS}} from FL!

Tami

Thanks for sharing that touching story. And welcome to the family! It's been a great ride so far :)

shinedownjunkie45

Wed, 02/23/2011 - 15:53

thank you for sharing that story with us. I hope you can find a home here with us. anytime you need anything you can count on any one of us in here i've found a great family that always knows just what to say to make things better when it seems they can't get any worse.

Well said, SDJ....Ditto that!!!

Wow! What a story! I know it would make the band proud to read this and know how much they have helped you along the way! Welcome to the family!

honeybear

Sat, 09/17/2011 - 14:40

I am so touched by your story.I can relate on so many level's.My mother raised myself and 2 sister's and 2 brother's on her own also and has always been there for all of us.Very recently my younger sister passed away from Cancer,I was her chemo buddy,was with her for every session,which lasted all day and was very painful for her and very difficult for me to watch!I tried my best to keep her mind off of everything and make her smile,we would joke around and listen to music(Shinedown&other's)together.Ever since she lost her battle Shinedown's music has been my healing,my escape from sadness,a joy to me filled with personal memory's and new one's moving forward! Sometimes I blast it way up and rage as loud as possible! I know she can hear me in Heaven! I wish you,your family and your son the very best!Tell your son that whenever he wants to see his Grandma all he has to do is close his eye's and look in to his Heart!!! Hope he get's to meet the guy's soon,I know how he feel's! Peace,Robin

I have to back peddle a bit so people can understand this all.
When I was very young my earliest memories were of my mother singing to my brothers and I. It wasn't until later I understood that was her way of shielding us from hearing my fathers rampages. As we grew up my mother was the constant and the protector but definitely imprinted on me the ability to let music lift/transport you.
My mother had an affinity for southern rock(as well as celtic/folk) music. I'm sure she wore out several speakers/records and record players with CCR, Skynyrd and countless others. Whenever I was sick or had trouble sleeping she would sing "Simple Man" to me. It made everything okay like waiving a wand it seemed.
Fast forward to 2002 and the birth of my son. For a multitude of reasons(not for here) I was a single dad with sole custody. My world changed in an instant. Learning how to feed&change a newborn can do that to the best of us! He had some scary and serious health issues and around this time my mom heard Shinedowns cover of "Simple Man" on the radio. Her exact words were that it made the original(Skynyrd) version sound like crap and she rushed to buy the album. She helped me with my son alot and anytime I left them alone she would sing to him and 99% of the time it was Simple Man. She had a copy of the album in her car, the living room, her office and even one in my sons room so she could play it while rocking him in her chair.
My mom was diagnosed with cancer around this time. I lost her a little over a year later. I can't describe what it means for me to play that album and feel like she's with us. It meant so much for me to see her share that with my son. The first time he heard Simple Man after her death he looked for her.
Fast forward several years and my son has been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome. He is extremely intelligent but isn't really present alot of the time. It's really hard to describe. The first time he heard "Call Me" it was like he was struck by lightning. It's like a switch gets flipped on when he hears that song. He can't resist singing that song. It has progressed to singing several of their songs. He now wants to take chorus in school and doesn't understand why they don't play Shinedown on American Idol(he want to be the first to sing Call Me on there). Since he has taken up singing it has helped his focus in school and helped alot with his symptoms. I have become my mother in alot of ways and have to keep an ipod with me most of the time so he can listen to his favorite songs. Granted I still well up when he sings Simple Man and says "my grandmom sings this with me".
Shinedown has definitely kept what I was taught alive that music can help and heal you. I can't describe how grateful I am for the band and their music. I will be forever thankful.

comments

I am so touched by your story.I can relate on so many level's.My mother raised myself and 2 sister's and 2 brother's on her own also and has always been there for all of us.Very recently my younger sister passed away from Cancer,I was her chemo buddy,was with her for every session,which lasted all day and was very painful for her and very difficult for me to watch!I tried my best to keep her mind off of everything and make her smile,we would joke around and listen to music(Shinedown&other's)together.Ever since she lost her battle Shinedown's music has been my healing,my escape from sadness,a joy to me filled with personal memory's and new one's moving forward! Sometimes I blast it way up and rage as loud as possible! I know she can hear me in Heaven! I wish you,your family and your son the very best!Tell your son that whenever he wants to see his Grandma all he has to do is close his eye's and look in to his Heart!!! Hope he get's to meet the guy's soon,I know how he feel's! Peace,Robin

Wow! What a story! I know it would make the band proud to read this and know how much they have helped you along the way! Welcome to the family!

Well said, SDJ....Ditto that!!!

thank you for sharing that story with us. I hope you can find a home here with us. anytime you need anything you can count on any one of us in here i've found a great family that always knows just what to say to make things better when it seems they can't get any worse.

Thanks for sharing that touching story. And welcome to the family! It's been a great ride so far :)

What an awesome, awesome story. Music was the one constant in my life as well and has helped me through some tough times. I have no doubt that you and your son will get to meet Shinedown the next time they are on tour. I first meet them at the Carnival of Madness, and though there weren't a lot of youngsters, there were some there. There was a meet & greet after the show if you bought a cd. Even though I already had the cd, I bought one anyway, just so I could thank them for their music. I met them again on the A&E tour for my Birthday.

You and your family are very brave, and even though your mom is no longer with you, she is always shining down on you and your son.

Best of luck to you, and welcome to the Shinedown family! We are always here if you need us!

{{HUGS}} from FL!

Tami

Thanks for sharing your story with us. It made tears come to my eyes.
It's so great that Shinedown helps you and your son so much. I hope you and your son get to meet them soon.

Had I known

If I had found out ahead of time that the Warner Theatre, DC stop for the Anything and Everything tour was open for all ages I would have brought my son. My wife and I fealt like crap when we saw kids there. He would have loved it. I tried to find another location on the tour that was all ages and possible to get to but it just wasn't possible.
He would love to meet the band so I keep trying to find if there is any type of meet and greets or appearences scheduled anywhere.

What a touching story, thank you for opening up and sharing that with us.