Devour music video

• Devour music video
    erica881014

okay i don't know if i missed this or what but in the devour music video,why is nick perri in it,does anybody know?

Submitted by erica881014 on
Forum category
Is pro
No

AllAmericanDan1

Wed, 01/26/2011 - 18:26

Because at the time, Nick Perri was the lead guitarist.

erica881014

Wed, 01/26/2011 - 18:36

really.oh.but devour was put on the sound of madness cd.maybe that's why i was confused

crueangel

Wed, 01/26/2011 - 20:11

I was confused myself, the first time I saw it. Then again, when I bought the SOM Limited Fan Club Edition, which was the first time I bought SOM, it had a pic of all five of them. But then, they just sort of edited him out with the other two versions I bought, the original version I bought at the COM so I could meet the guys after the show, and the Deluxe version. Nick seemed to vanish kind of quick, though I never really knew what happened. Not that it matters, as hard as Zach rocks! :P

Nick was involved w/ the original SOM album then, as stated, was edited out of the cover. I was at his last show w/ Shinedown in Chicago at the HOB and it was really weird, because after the performance, they each gave him individual hugs before they left the stage...then the following morning, Perri had a video post on Shinedowns website stating he was leaving the band to venture off in his own journey...

Look how that turned out haha...but Zach is amazing and I don't think they'd be the same w/ 5 members anyways.

crueangel

Thu, 01/27/2011 - 20:05

[quote="ryno32"]Nick was involved w/ the original SOM album then, as stated, was edited out of the cover. I was at his last show w/ Shinedown in Chicago at the HOB and it was really weird, because after the performance, they each gave him individual hugs before they left the stage...then the following morning, Perri had a video post on Shinedowns website stating he was leaving the band to venture off in his own journey...

Look how that turned out haha...but Zach is amazing and I don't think they'd be the same w/ 5 members anyways.[/quote]

Except for "Live from the Inside", I've only ever seen them with the current line up. Can't imagine them without Zach! I just never knew what happened. I wasn't in the Nation then. :( But I am now!! :D Thanks for the info, ryno!

erica881014

Thu, 01/27/2011 - 20:16

well thanks for explaining.i wasn't in the nation then either.i knew nick was in the band at some point or other but i never knew the time period.i guess i just thought that it was before SOM.i don't know.nick just never fit with the band in my opinion.but i'm pleased with zach.i couldn't imagine shinedown without him either now.thanks for the info. :)

AllAmericanDan1

Thu, 01/27/2011 - 21:08

[quote="ryno32"]Nick was involved w/ the original SOM album then, as stated, was edited out of the cover. I was at his last show w/ Shinedown in Chicago at the HOB and it was really weird, because after the performance, they each gave him individual hugs before they left the stage...then the following morning, Perri had a video post on Shinedowns website stating he was leaving the band to venture off in his own journey...

Look how that turned out haha...but Zach is amazing and I don't think they'd be the same w/ 5 members anyways.[/quote]

That's on the assumption that Nick, Zach, and Eric recorded anything on SOM. The original lineup for SOM had Jasin Todd in it, he was their lead guitarist at the time. He got in some trouble down in Florida and couldn't get his act together in time for the touring, so they had to let him go. Nick and Eric joined the band very, very late in the development of the SOM. In fact, they joined so late that most of the tracks had already been cut. Most of the Sound of Madness was recorded with studio musicians. Zach MAY have been involved in the SOM recording, as he was probably going to be the bassist (he filled in for Brad Stewart during the Us & Them tour) but if he did he received no credit for it. As in the linear notes on the SOM, you see a whole clusterfuck of guitarists and a bassist, but no Zach, no Nick, no Eric...but Barry got credit for his drumwork. That says to me Zach, Eric, and Nick did nothing on the SOM but join the band as soon as the album was done.

[quote="crueangel"]Except for "Live from the Inside", I've only ever seen them with the current line up. Can't imagine them without Zach! I just never knew what happened. I wasn't in the Nation then. :( But I am now!! :D Thanks for the info, ryno![/quote]

[quote="erica881014"]well thanks for explaining.i wasn't in the nation then either.i knew nick was in the band at some point or other but i never knew the time period.i guess i just thought that it was before SOM.i don't know.nick just never fit with the band in my opinion.but i'm pleased with zach.i couldn't imagine shinedown without him either now.thanks for the info. :)[/quote]

Yeah, they were actually really good without Zach. The original line-up had a certain raw energy that this line-up will never repeat. Not because it's so much better but because it's a different band. The days of Brent having the crowd scream "1, 2, 3 FUCK YOU" are gone. They're much more mellow now.

erica881014

Fri, 01/28/2011 - 17:37

don't get me wrong i loved the band when it was brent,barry,jasin, and brad.but when the band changed it was still all good.it's just that maybe nick was a little off for the band,i can't put my finger on what made him seem that way.but could be just me.i mean his guitar playing was great it's was just him i guess.but i do love zach as the guitarist now.they may be more mellow but they still get their meanings across,just maybe in a more subtle way.i guess that comes with getting older too though.i see a lot of bands that started off really young like in late teens early 20's and they are all about throwing everything in everyones faces but when they get older or change their habits or change members,the band becomes more mature.but not all bands can pull that off.i'm just glad there's a shinedown still around to listen to.

AllAmericanDan1

Fri, 01/28/2011 - 21:00

[quote="erica881014"]don't get me wrong i loved the band when it was brent,barry,jasin, and brad.but when the band changed it was still all good.it's just that maybe nick was a little off for the band,i can't put my finger on what made him seem that way.but could be just me.i mean his guitar playing was great it's was just him i guess.but i do love zach as the guitarist now.they may be more mellow but they still get their meanings across,just maybe in a more subtle way.i guess that comes with getting older too though.i see a lot of bands that started off really young like in late teens early 20's and they are all about throwing everything in everyones faces but when they get older or change their habits or change members,the band becomes more mature.but not all bands can pull that off.i'm just glad there's a shinedown still around to listen to.[/quote]

I don't think it worked because it made Shinedown look very super-groupish. That and I think Nick had a large say in Silvertide, heck HE WAS Silvertide. But once he joined Shinedown, he was in someone else's band. He didn't have the control he had in Silvertide, when he was with Shinedown. Shinedown is Brent's band, and Nick may have felt held back by that.

Also, I'm not accusing anyone of not liking the band at any point. It just kinda caught me off guard that someone said "I can't picture this band without Zach" when they recorded their first and second albums and embarked on those albums' tours without Zach. Zach was a touring member for the band near the end of the Us and Them tour and didn't officially join the band until that faithful day when Brent announced Jasin was out of the band.

I'm not saying either line-up is better or worse, mainly because I haven't seen this current line-up do anything other than Diamond Eyes, Alice, and some acoustic songs. So I'm eager to see what the next album is like, but as someone who has followed this band from (almost) the beginning I'm just surprised some can't even fathom what this band was like before this last album.

erica881014

Fri, 01/28/2011 - 22:18

sorry for catching you off guard.i didn't mean it to sound as if i didn't consider the previous albums.i admit i didn't start getting into shinedown until maybe the middle of the us and them. and i wasn't following them so closely as i am now.but i understand where you are coming from.and i didn't mean to sound as though you were accusing anybody.by the time i was a big fan i only saw zach with them.but maybe i worded it wrong,i was thinking in the future i can't imgine them without zach.(sorry for that mixup)but if something was to happen i'm sure they would pick a great person as everyone they have chosen in the past up to the present has helped get the band shinedown where they are today.and i'm not trying to sound like i'm fussing.i'm not.and your right i was under the assumption that it was brent,zach,barry and eric doing the SOM.

but thanks for the info.i didn't know the whole deal with silvertide.and i am eager to see where this new album is going to since it's this current line up doing it.and thanks for clearing everything up.

crueangel

Fri, 01/28/2011 - 22:30

I didn't mean to make it seem that I didn't like Jasin's playing- he's a great player, I jut meant that since I never saw the original line-up live, it would seem weird to see anyone but Zach and Eric playing.

I have been fortunate to see them live multiple times with both lineups and yeah, the first quad was awesome to see, especially when Halestorm opened for them, back before they made it. It was always a great show, totally high energy, but then again, I was in college/just out of so that was cool for me then. But when I saw them again with the new line up, I agree they were more mellow, but it was still high energy and a great show and I think that really comes from Brent, so long as he's around, he's going to make this band like that. And I will see say that even being able to meet both line ups, this one is a lot more approachable, or down to earth.

But Dan is right, the only songs that Eric and Zach have been fully involved in are "Alice" and "Diamond Eyes". I personally liked both songs a lot and I hope they continue with it, but this next album will be saying a lot.

Yeah I agree, was Zach filling in on the bass for the SOM tracks by chance? I know he started in Shinedown as a bass player for a couple of the shows he toured on...eh, prolly a lot out there we don't know about.

I kinda wish Brent had that edge to him he did back in the beginning but it's still awesome now...though I'd yell out a big FU here and there.

AllAmericanDan1

Mon, 01/31/2011 - 11:22

No, the bassist for the SOM was a studio musician Chris Chaney. I believe Zach may have been working on his band, The Fairwell's first album at the time Brent and Barry were recording the SOM. Though he was playing bass with the band in 2007 with Brent, Jasin, and Barry...

In fact, if you look at the linear notes you'll see Guitars: Tim Pierce, Dave Bassett, additional guitars and piano on "Call Me": Rob Cavallo (the album's producer). Electric and acoustic guitars on "Breaking Inside": Bobby Huff and David Oliver. Drums: Barry Kerch

Nick, Eric, and Zach did nothing for the album until late when they joined the band and toured for it, obviously something like that isn't their fault they weren't in the band until it happened. Though, it was a point of conflict when SOM first came out (on the old boards) that Jasin Todd didn't get credit for songs he helped write (Devour, Second Chance, The Crow and the Butterfly, Sound of Madness and Junkies for Fame) which you can find him playing with the band on youtube.

I have also been to shows with and met both bands. I say both bands cause that is exactly what its like, 2 different bands at least live.We will only know what the new band really sounds like when the new album comes.As far as personally brad and jasin were not as approachable as zach and eric are.

okay i don't know if i missed this or what but in the devour music video,why is nick perri in it,does anybody know?

comments

I have also been to shows with and met both bands. I say both bands cause that is exactly what its like, 2 different bands at least live.We will only know what the new band really sounds like when the new album comes.As far as personally brad and jasin were not as approachable as zach and eric are.

No, the bassist for the SOM was a studio musician Chris Chaney. I believe Zach may have been working on his band, The Fairwell's first album at the time Brent and Barry were recording the SOM. Though he was playing bass with the band in 2007 with Brent, Jasin, and Barry...

In fact, if you look at the linear notes you'll see Guitars: Tim Pierce, Dave Bassett, additional guitars and piano on "Call Me": Rob Cavallo (the album's producer). Electric and acoustic guitars on "Breaking Inside": Bobby Huff and David Oliver. Drums: Barry Kerch

Nick, Eric, and Zach did nothing for the album until late when they joined the band and toured for it, obviously something like that isn't their fault they weren't in the band until it happened. Though, it was a point of conflict when SOM first came out (on the old boards) that Jasin Todd didn't get credit for songs he helped write (Devour, Second Chance, The Crow and the Butterfly, Sound of Madness and Junkies for Fame) which you can find him playing with the band on youtube.

Yeah I agree, was Zach filling in on the bass for the SOM tracks by chance? I know he started in Shinedown as a bass player for a couple of the shows he toured on...eh, prolly a lot out there we don't know about.

I kinda wish Brent had that edge to him he did back in the beginning but it's still awesome now...though I'd yell out a big FU here and there.

I have been fortunate to see them live multiple times with both lineups and yeah, the first quad was awesome to see, especially when Halestorm opened for them, back before they made it. It was always a great show, totally high energy, but then again, I was in college/just out of so that was cool for me then. But when I saw them again with the new line up, I agree they were more mellow, but it was still high energy and a great show and I think that really comes from Brent, so long as he's around, he's going to make this band like that. And I will see say that even being able to meet both line ups, this one is a lot more approachable, or down to earth.

But Dan is right, the only songs that Eric and Zach have been fully involved in are "Alice" and "Diamond Eyes". I personally liked both songs a lot and I hope they continue with it, but this next album will be saying a lot.

I didn't mean to make it seem that I didn't like Jasin's playing- he's a great player, I jut meant that since I never saw the original line-up live, it would seem weird to see anyone but Zach and Eric playing.

sorry for catching you off guard.i didn't mean it to sound as if i didn't consider the previous albums.i admit i didn't start getting into shinedown until maybe the middle of the us and them. and i wasn't following them so closely as i am now.but i understand where you are coming from.and i didn't mean to sound as though you were accusing anybody.by the time i was a big fan i only saw zach with them.but maybe i worded it wrong,i was thinking in the future i can't imgine them without zach.(sorry for that mixup)but if something was to happen i'm sure they would pick a great person as everyone they have chosen in the past up to the present has helped get the band shinedown where they are today.and i'm not trying to sound like i'm fussing.i'm not.and your right i was under the assumption that it was brent,zach,barry and eric doing the SOM.

but thanks for the info.i didn't know the whole deal with silvertide.and i am eager to see where this new album is going to since it's this current line up doing it.and thanks for clearing everything up.

[quote="erica881014"]don't get me wrong i loved the band when it was brent,barry,jasin, and brad.but when the band changed it was still all good.it's just that maybe nick was a little off for the band,i can't put my finger on what made him seem that way.but could be just me.i mean his guitar playing was great it's was just him i guess.but i do love zach as the guitarist now.they may be more mellow but they still get their meanings across,just maybe in a more subtle way.i guess that comes with getting older too though.i see a lot of bands that started off really young like in late teens early 20's and they are all about throwing everything in everyones faces but when they get older or change their habits or change members,the band becomes more mature.but not all bands can pull that off.i'm just glad there's a shinedown still around to listen to.[/quote]

I don't think it worked because it made Shinedown look very super-groupish. That and I think Nick had a large say in Silvertide, heck HE WAS Silvertide. But once he joined Shinedown, he was in someone else's band. He didn't have the control he had in Silvertide, when he was with Shinedown. Shinedown is Brent's band, and Nick may have felt held back by that.

Also, I'm not accusing anyone of not liking the band at any point. It just kinda caught me off guard that someone said "I can't picture this band without Zach" when they recorded their first and second albums and embarked on those albums' tours without Zach. Zach was a touring member for the band near the end of the Us and Them tour and didn't officially join the band until that faithful day when Brent announced Jasin was out of the band.

I'm not saying either line-up is better or worse, mainly because I haven't seen this current line-up do anything other than Diamond Eyes, Alice, and some acoustic songs. So I'm eager to see what the next album is like, but as someone who has followed this band from (almost) the beginning I'm just surprised some can't even fathom what this band was like before this last album.

don't get me wrong i loved the band when it was brent,barry,jasin, and brad.but when the band changed it was still all good.it's just that maybe nick was a little off for the band,i can't put my finger on what made him seem that way.but could be just me.i mean his guitar playing was great it's was just him i guess.but i do love zach as the guitarist now.they may be more mellow but they still get their meanings across,just maybe in a more subtle way.i guess that comes with getting older too though.i see a lot of bands that started off really young like in late teens early 20's and they are all about throwing everything in everyones faces but when they get older or change their habits or change members,the band becomes more mature.but not all bands can pull that off.i'm just glad there's a shinedown still around to listen to.

That's on the assumption that Nick, Zach, and Eric recorded anything on SOM. The original lineup for SOM had Jasin Todd in it, he was their lead guitarist at the time. He got in some trouble down in Florida and couldn't get his act together in time for the touring, so they had to let him go. Nick and Eric joined the band very, very late in the development of the SOM. In fact, they joined so late that most of the tracks had already been cut. Most of the Sound of Madness was recorded with studio musicians. Zach MAY have been involved in the SOM recording, as he was probably going to be the bassist (he filled in for Brad Stewart during the Us & Them tour) but if he did he received no credit for it. As in the linear notes on the SOM, you see a whole clusterfuck of guitarists and a bassist, but no Zach, no Nick, no Eric...but Barry got credit for his drumwork. That says to me Zach, Eric, and Nick did nothing on the SOM but join the band as soon as the album was done.

[quote="crueangel"]Except for "Live from the Inside", I've only ever seen them with the current line up. Can't imagine them without Zach! I just never knew what happened. I wasn't in the Nation then. :( But I am now!! :D Thanks for the info, ryno![/quote]

[quote="erica881014"]well thanks for explaining.i wasn't in the nation then either.i knew nick was in the band at some point or other but i never knew the time period.i guess i just thought that it was before SOM.i don't know.nick just never fit with the band in my opinion.but i'm pleased with zach.i couldn't imagine shinedown without him either now.thanks for the info. :)[/quote]

Yeah, they were actually really good without Zach. The original line-up had a certain raw energy that this line-up will never repeat. Not because it's so much better but because it's a different band. The days of Brent having the crowd scream "1, 2, 3 FUCK YOU" are gone. They're much more mellow now.

well thanks for explaining.i wasn't in the nation then either.i knew nick was in the band at some point or other but i never knew the time period.i guess i just thought that it was before SOM.i don't know.nick just never fit with the band in my opinion.but i'm pleased with zach.i couldn't imagine shinedown without him either now.thanks for the info. :)

Except for "Live from the Inside", I've only ever seen them with the current line up. Can't imagine them without Zach! I just never knew what happened. I wasn't in the Nation then. :( But I am now!! :D Thanks for the info, ryno!

Nick was involved w/ the original SOM album then, as stated, was edited out of the cover. I was at his last show w/ Shinedown in Chicago at the HOB and it was really weird, because after the performance, they each gave him individual hugs before they left the stage...then the following morning, Perri had a video post on Shinedowns website stating he was leaving the band to venture off in his own journey...

Look how that turned out haha...but Zach is amazing and I don't think they'd be the same w/ 5 members anyways.

I was confused myself, the first time I saw it. Then again, when I bought the SOM Limited Fan Club Edition, which was the first time I bought SOM, it had a pic of all five of them. But then, they just sort of edited him out with the other two versions I bought, the original version I bought at the COM so I could meet the guys after the show, and the Deluxe version. Nick seemed to vanish kind of quick, though I never really knew what happened. Not that it matters, as hard as Zach rocks! :P

really.oh.but devour was put on the sound of madness cd.maybe that's why i was confused

Because at the time, Nick Perri was the lead guitarist.