The defining band of this decade...

• The defining band of this decade...
    AllAmericanDan1

Been thinking for a bit since it is 2008, who is the defining band of this decade. The 60's had the Beatles and Rolling Stones, the 70's had Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith, the 80's had Van Halen, The Police, and U2. While the 90's had Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana. If you think I'm missing a band out of those decades its because they probably defined many decades (Rush, The Who, Bruce Springsteen for example defined two or more decades).

Anyways, out of all the bands out now, which one does everyone think is going to be the defining band of the 2000's?

In one thread people were saying Alter Bridge a lot...please no one say them...they are not the defining band of this decade...they are Creed with another singer.

Submitted by AllAmericanDan1 on
Forum category
Is pro
No

synneraboveall

Wed, 08/20/2008 - 17:24

That's a great question..I'll have to think about it. I def won't say Alter Bridge cause I think there are far better bands than them.

Well I Got A Candle.

Wed, 08/20/2008 - 23:00

[quote="fenderguitars777"][quote="allamericandan1"]In one thread people were saying Alter Bridge a lot...please no one say them...they are not the defining band of this decade...they are Creed with another singer.[/quote]

They aren't just "Creed with another singer." Scott Stapp held down the others so much because he was such a control freak. Although most of the members are the same, Alter Bridge couldn't be any more different. It let everyone in Creed explore their musical abilities[/quote]

agreed alterbridge is a way different band its more about the music then it seemed creed was about Scott..

but honestly one of the defining bands would have to be Staind..
there is more but staind has sold like 20 million albums or some shit..

This is a good question,..

Staind is not a bad one, neither is Seether or Shinedown. This may be one decade that several define it,...

What about Tool, Nickleback, or even The Red Hot Chili Peppers? I hate RHCP but they sure have a lot of hits, that span a long period of time now.

Well I Got A Candle.

Fri, 08/22/2008 - 16:47

[quote="glasgowdug"]This is a good question,..

Staind is not a bad one, neither is Seether or Shinedown. This may be one decade that several define it,...

What about Tool, Nickleback, or even The Red Hot Chili Peppers? I hate RHCP but they sure have a lot of hits, that span a long period of time now.[/quote]

RHCP has been around since the 80's..

beyondthesun

Fri, 08/22/2008 - 21:01

woooooo another staind fan haha but as much as i like shinedown i wouldnt throw them in there just yet i guess nickleback would have to be up there and linkin park id say hmmmmmm and maybe foo fighters or audioslave

beyondthesun

Sat, 08/23/2008 - 12:09

The reason shinedown is not it is they have not sold close to as many records as say linkin park and have not had the same type of mainstream success. There are still shows where shinedown goes on two bands before the headliner you would never see that with a band like linkin park now dont get me wrong i love shinedown i just feel like they havent reached that plateau yet but they are on their way. Saying shinedown is the band that defines this decade may be a statement voiced with a little bias

AllAmericanDan1

Tue, 08/26/2008 - 20:28

A bigger question to ask is "which out of all the bands of today deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, The Rolling Stones, Pearl Jam and the like?" Nickelback and Linkin Park definitely do NOT deserve this distinction. Their music has not defined anything but obnoxious radio friendly pop. Unlike any other decade before it, no band has really made the music of this time. The Rolling Stones pretty much laid the ground work for hard rock in the 60's but still was light, Led Zeppelin made the hard rock sound that would influence band after band after band, Van Halen made the 80's sound that every obnoxious hair metal band would steal, and Pearl Jam would master the grunge sound with added rock n roll elements still intact.

In this decade, rock is in the backseat. While other genres getting more airplay on the radio and music TV stations, hence why any band could eventually rule this decade. Deciding on this now is futile, because unlike any other decade there is no band that's a cut above the rest. Well, Shinedown is, but they have only three albums out and have yet to hit their "peak." I see Shinedown being more of an influence on musicians than other bands...look at Daughtry...pretty much ripped off Brent Smith's style all together.

But anyways, I digress, we may all actually look back at this decade as the worst in rock's history.

Alice in Chains .. Nirvana sucks :evil:

Been thinking for a bit since it is 2008, who is the defining band of this decade. The 60's had the Beatles and Rolling Stones, the 70's had Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith, the 80's had Van Halen, The Police, and U2. While the 90's had Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana. If you think I'm missing a band out of those decades its because they probably defined many decades (Rush, The Who, Bruce Springsteen for example defined two or more decades).

Anyways, out of all the bands out now, which one does everyone think is going to be the defining band of the 2000's?

In one thread people were saying Alter Bridge a lot...please no one say them...they are not the defining band of this decade...they are Creed with another singer.

comments

Alice in Chains .. Nirvana sucks :evil:

A bigger question to ask is "which out of all the bands of today deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, The Rolling Stones, Pearl Jam and the like?" Nickelback and Linkin Park definitely do NOT deserve this distinction. Their music has not defined anything but obnoxious radio friendly pop. Unlike any other decade before it, no band has really made the music of this time. The Rolling Stones pretty much laid the ground work for hard rock in the 60's but still was light, Led Zeppelin made the hard rock sound that would influence band after band after band, Van Halen made the 80's sound that every obnoxious hair metal band would steal, and Pearl Jam would master the grunge sound with added rock n roll elements still intact.

In this decade, rock is in the backseat. While other genres getting more airplay on the radio and music TV stations, hence why any band could eventually rule this decade. Deciding on this now is futile, because unlike any other decade there is no band that's a cut above the rest. Well, Shinedown is, but they have only three albums out and have yet to hit their "peak." I see Shinedown being more of an influence on musicians than other bands...look at Daughtry...pretty much ripped off Brent Smith's style all together.

But anyways, I digress, we may all actually look back at this decade as the worst in rock's history.

The reason shinedown is not it is they have not sold close to as many records as say linkin park and have not had the same type of mainstream success. There are still shows where shinedown goes on two bands before the headliner you would never see that with a band like linkin park now dont get me wrong i love shinedown i just feel like they havent reached that plateau yet but they are on their way. Saying shinedown is the band that defines this decade may be a statement voiced with a little bias

woooooo another staind fan haha but as much as i like shinedown i wouldnt throw them in there just yet i guess nickleback would have to be up there and linkin park id say hmmmmmm and maybe foo fighters or audioslave

[quote="glasgowdug"]This is a good question,..

What about Tool, Nickleback, or even The Red Hot Chili Peppers? I hate RHCP but they sure have a lot of hits, that span a long period of time now.[/quote]

RHCP has been around since the 80's..

This is a good question,..

What about Tool, Nickleback, or even The Red Hot Chili Peppers? I hate RHCP but they sure have a lot of hits, that span a long period of time now.

Re: The defining band of this decade...

[quote="fenderguitars777"][quote="allamericandan1"]In one thread people were saying Alter Bridge a lot...please no one say them...they are not the defining band of this decade...they are Creed with another singer.[/quote]

They aren't just "Creed with another singer." Scott Stapp held down the others so much because he was such a control freak. Although most of the members are the same, Alter Bridge couldn't be any more different. It let everyone in Creed explore their musical abilities[/quote]

agreed alterbridge is a way different band its more about the music then it seemed creed was about Scott..

but honestly one of the defining bands would have to be Staind..
there is more but staind has sold like 20 million albums or some shit..

That's a great question..I'll have to think about it. I def won't say Alter Bridge cause I think there are far better bands than them.