Concert questions

• Concert questions
    iandotsd

Hi all,

I need advice....
    Last concert, I was front row and the sound on my videos was terrible!
    I'm wondering about putting some kind of buffer (tape, cotton ball) on my camera mic.
    Any other ideas???
    Also, should I go to the bus after Shinedown and skip P.Roach? Do you think they'll be out there after their set or would they be out there after the entire concert is over?
    Thanks!

Submitted by iandotsd on
Forum category
Is pro
No

dalamar_2

Wed, 12/02/2009 - 23:19

It largely depends on a the level of the sound in the venue.

Without going technical, your built-in mic prolly has a low THD (Threshold to Distortion), so anything above (average) 90DB, will make your mic go haywire. I don't think cotton or cloth could change any of that.

If you know your Audio tech well and are friendly with him, you could always ask for a direct output from the main mix (off the console) straight into the camera...

destiny453

Thu, 12/03/2009 - 07:57

With regards to the show, I would watch Papa Roach too, the guys will probably come out after the whole gig is over, or atleast that's my experience anyway.,.... and I know what you mean about the sound, mine was terrible!!

Thanks for the tip. If it's worked for you, then I will try it.
Thanks again!

destiny453

Thu, 12/03/2009 - 08:24

No probs plus if you like Papa Roach it's a bonus, but the guys will almost definately hang around after the gig :)

shinedownjunkie45

Thu, 12/03/2009 - 11:12

hey iandot, i guess it would also depend largely on the camera you have as dalamar says. cuz i have a sony cybershot and it picked up sound great when i saw the guys. it was really good clarity, i wasn't able to be front row because of some BS with my tickets and the venue but i was still really close to the speakers and i picked up great sounds. in regards to whether you should watch papa roach or book it to the buses, i would say stick around for papa roach and then head over there to the buses after their set. the guys will be out there after the whole gig. that's been my experience as well. hope it helps. goodluck at the show.

dalamar- Wow. I have a canon powershot. Not sure how to do all of that!
Thanks for the info and discouragement :P JK

junkie- I will stay for the Papa Roach show as I do like them very much. I'm ultra glad that staying for it won't make me miss the opportunity to catch my boys.
Thanks for the advice.

dalamar_2

Thu, 12/03/2009 - 13:24

[quote="iandot"]dalamar- Wow. I have a canon powershot. Not sure how to do all of that!
Thanks for the info and discouragement :P JK.[/quote]

Anytime! :)

Basically, ask the Audio tech at the main console for a balanced line out from the main mix to (I presume your Audio auxilary input is a 3.5mmm mini-jack (1/8 jack, stereo), so that's what he'll need for info.

http://www.canon.ca/english/index-products.asp?lng=en&prodid=1410&sgid=…

If you're a gentleman (or a lady, whichever applies), you'll bring the proper cables along (2x XLR Female to 1x mini - jack, male) with the proper lenght, so the guy doesn't have to stop the gig for cables.

I'll also assume you'll need permission...

shinedownjunkie45

Thu, 12/03/2009 - 14:11

[quote="iandot"]dalamar- Wow. I have a canon powershot. Not sure how to do all of that!

junkie- I will stay for the Papa Roach show as I do like them very much. I'm ultra glad that staying for it won't make me miss the opportunity to catch my boys.
Thanks for the advice.[/quote]
hey any time. glad i could help.

dalamar- thanks for the instructions. I will look at my camera.
Damn-do I look like a tranny in my picture or something?- "If you're a gentleman (or a lady, whichever applies)"
Lol

dalamar_2

Thu, 12/03/2009 - 16:01

[quote="iandot"]dalamar- thanks for the instructions. I will look at my camera.
Damn-do I look like a tranny in my picture or something?- "If you're a gentleman (or a lady, whichever applies)"
Lol[/quote]

*trying to keep a straight face* Uhm... no?

LOL

Seriously, I failed to look at your avatar. My mistake.... sir! =)

*it's good to see some things never change!* :)

shinedownjunkie45

Thu, 12/03/2009 - 17:56

lmao. i caught that as well. but i didn't want to be the bearer of bad news to dalamar. just thought you were being your usual witty self lol.

dalamar_2

Thu, 12/03/2009 - 22:12

[quote="shinedownjunkie45"]lmao. i caught that as well. but i didn't want to be the bearer of bad news to dalamar. just thought you were being your usual witty self lol.[/quote]

Rofl... I don't know if I'd put "witty" and "usual" in the same sentence....

dalamar - That's alright...LMAO

destiny453

Sun, 12/06/2009 - 09:56

if you are ROFL how can you type?! :lol:

dalamar_2

Sun, 12/06/2009 - 12:47

[quote="destiny453"]if you are ROFL how can you type?! :lol:[/quote]

It's my feminine side uncovered: multi-tasking!

starsareforme

Sun, 12/06/2009 - 13:19

[quote="dalamar"][quote="destiny453"]if you are ROFL how can you type?! :lol:[/quote]

It's my feminine side uncovered: multi-tasking![/quote]

[color=indigo]Yeah I thought when I saw those pics of you chasing Tiger you were wearing drag. You really have a feminine side, don't you? :twisted: [/color]

dalamar_2

Mon, 12/07/2009 - 00:37

[quote="chell"][quote="dalamar"][quote="destiny453"]if you are ROFL how can you type?! :lol:[/quote]

[color=indigo]Yeah I thought when I saw those pics of you chasing Tiger you were wearing drag. You really have a feminine side, don't you? :twisted: [/color][/quote]

Man-boobs for the win!

shinedownjunkie45

Mon, 12/07/2009 - 11:00

[quote="dalamar"][quote="shinedownjunkie45"]lmao. i caught that as well. but i didn't want to be the bearer of bad news to dalamar. just thought you were being your usual witty self lol.[/quote]

Rofl... I don't know if I'd put "witty" and "usual" in the same sentence....[/quote]
lol. touche.

Hi all,

I need advice....
Last concert, I was front row and the sound on my videos was terrible!
I'm wondering about putting some kind of buffer (tape, cotton ball) on my camera mic.
Any other ideas???
Also, should I go to the bus after Shinedown and skip P.Roach? Do you think they'll be out there after their set or would they be out there after the entire concert is over?
Thanks!

comments

[quote="dalamar"][quote="shinedownjunkie45"]lmao. i caught that as well. but i didn't want to be the bearer of bad news to dalamar. just thought you were being your usual witty self lol.[/quote]

Rofl... I don't know if I'd put "witty" and "usual" in the same sentence....[/quote]
lol. touche.

[quote="chell"][quote="dalamar"][quote="destiny453"]if you are ROFL how can you type?! :lol:[/quote]

[color=indigo]Yeah I thought when I saw those pics of you chasing Tiger you were wearing drag. You really have a feminine side, don't you? :twisted: [/color][/quote]

Man-boobs for the win!

[quote="dalamar"][quote="destiny453"]if you are ROFL how can you type?! :lol:[/quote]

[color=indigo]Yeah I thought when I saw those pics of you chasing Tiger you were wearing drag. You really have a feminine side, don't you? :twisted: [/color]

[quote="destiny453"]if you are ROFL how can you type?! :lol:[/quote]

It's my feminine side uncovered: multi-tasking!

if you are ROFL how can you type?! :lol:

dalamar - That's alright...LMAO

[quote="shinedownjunkie45"]lmao. i caught that as well. but i didn't want to be the bearer of bad news to dalamar. just thought you were being your usual witty self lol.[/quote]

Rofl... I don't know if I'd put "witty" and "usual" in the same sentence....

lmao. i caught that as well. but i didn't want to be the bearer of bad news to dalamar. just thought you were being your usual witty self lol.

*it's good to see some things never change!* :)

[quote="iandot"]dalamar- thanks for the instructions. I will look at my camera.
Lol[/quote]

*trying to keep a straight face* Uhm... no?

LOL

Seriously, I failed to look at your avatar. My mistake.... sir! =)

dalamar- thanks for the instructions. I will look at my camera.
Lol

Thanks for the advice.[/quote]
hey any time. glad i could help.

Thanks for the info and discouragement :P JK.[/quote]

Anytime! :)

Basically, ask the Audio tech at the main console for a balanced line out from the main mix to (I presume your Audio auxilary input is a 3.5mmm mini-jack (1/8 jack, stereo), so that's what he'll need for info.

http://www.canon.ca/english/index-products.asp?lng=en&prodid=1410&sgid=…

If you're a gentleman (or a lady, whichever applies), you'll bring the proper cables along (2x XLR Female to 1x mini - jack, male) with the proper lenght, so the guy doesn't have to stop the gig for cables.

I'll also assume you'll need permission...

dalamar- Wow. I have a canon powershot. Not sure how to do all of that!

Thanks for the advice.

hey iandot, i guess it would also depend largely on the camera you have as dalamar says. cuz i have a sony cybershot and it picked up sound great when i saw the guys. it was really good clarity, i wasn't able to be front row because of some BS with my tickets and the venue but i was still really close to the speakers and i picked up great sounds. in regards to whether you should watch papa roach or book it to the buses, i would say stick around for papa roach and then head over there to the buses after their set. the guys will be out there after the whole gig. that's been my experience as well. hope it helps. goodluck at the show.

No probs plus if you like Papa Roach it's a bonus, but the guys will almost definately hang around after the gig :)

Thanks for the tip. If it's worked for you, then I will try it.
Thanks again!

With regards to the show, I would watch Papa Roach too, the guys will probably come out after the whole gig is over, or atleast that's my experience anyway.,.... and I know what you mean about the sound, mine was terrible!!

It largely depends on a the level of the sound in the venue.

Without going technical, your built-in mic prolly has a low THD (Threshold to Distortion), so anything above (average) 90DB, will make your mic go haywire. I don't think cotton or cloth could change any of that.

If you know your Audio tech well and are friendly with him, you could always ask for a direct output from the main mix (off the console) straight into the camera...