Breaking Inside, how it saved me

• Breaking Inside, how it saved me
    shinedowngrl89

First off, I've been a fan since 2005. Not a big fan, I knew some songs, I had my favorites, and I'd stop switching radio stations if they had a song on. Well, in 2007 I hit an all time low. I had a rough life growing up and I was on the verge of graduation high school. After an unplanned pregnancy, which ended in a miscarriage, I was super depressed. I made it through graduation, but by my 18th birthday I was ready to call it quits.
    I was at a friends a few hours before I planned to commit suicide when she played the new album (Sound of Madness). I wasnt really paying attention to the songs, my mind was off in a dark place while she rattled on about going to her dream college. I wasnt going anywhere expect 8 miles up the road to a dead end job as a cashier at Kmart. My family life sucked, I didnt have my baby to look forward to, and my boyfriend had turned out to be an abusive jerk (He was the cause of the miscarriage.) I didnt have any money, so I couldnt even move out and live on my own, and my own father (abusive as well) was ragging on me about how much of a let down I was(among other things).
    Then Breaking Inside came on, and I was pulled out enough to pay attention to the lyrics. I borrowed the CD and for three weeks straight, thats the only song I listened to. It helped me stop caring what my family thought, and it helped me move on to better things. Since then I've gotten into the habit of playing Shinedown everytime I'm in a funk. They help me pull out and see the brighter side of life.
    The song recently saved me again in 2010 when I found out my mom had cancer. I hadnt listened to it in a while, I liked to save it for the really bad times. I played it for my mom, and she decided it was right, that she shouldnt be the last one in line. It pulled us both out of a really bad funk. In fact, she played it again when she found out her cancer was terminal a few months ago. Its become a song that represents our moving through the darkness and fighting to live, no matter what inner demons try to pull us down. Its actually my theme song, and its made me stronger. I listen to it all the time to keep reminding myself that no matter how broken I feel inside, I need to keep going.

Submitted by shinedowngrl89 on
Forum category
Is pro
No

Thank you for sharing your life story with us.
I'm sorry that you have to go through so much trouble in your life and i'm so sorry about your mother.
I'm glad though that Shinedown kept you from taking your own life.
That's what they do best, saving people.
If you need to talk or vent. There 's always someone here to talk to
My name is Rita

shinedowngrl89

Tue, 05/29/2012 - 01:13

I seem to always need someone to talk to. the past few months Shinedown has played a bigger part in my life as i've been dealt problem after problem, and none of my friends like SD :( so i have no one to talk to about how awesome they are and how their songs keep me going. its one of the main reason I joined SDN, so I'd have people I could talk to who understood exactly why I love SD :)

shinedowngrl89

Tue, 05/29/2012 - 01:14

My name is Cait by the way :)

Hi Cait, Welcome to our family.
So glad to have you here.
I know what you mean, when you say SD saved your life.
They did the same for me and to a lot of people on these boards.

shinedowngrl89

Tue, 05/29/2012 - 01:39

I'm glad to be here.

I think part of why they've saved so many people, is because their songs are real. About real feelings, life changes, and so on. people feel attached to the songs, can make them into something personal. It takes a lot of talent for a band to be able to connect to their fans like that

First off, I've been a fan since 2005. Not a big fan, I knew some songs, I had my favorites, and I'd stop switching radio stations if they had a song on. Well, in 2007 I hit an all time low. I had a rough life growing up and I was on the verge of graduation high school. After an unplanned pregnancy, which ended in a miscarriage, I was super depressed. I made it through graduation, but by my 18th birthday I was ready to call it quits.
I was at a friends a few hours before I planned to commit suicide when she played the new album (Sound of Madness). I wasnt really paying attention to the songs, my mind was off in a dark place while she rattled on about going to her dream college. I wasnt going anywhere expect 8 miles up the road to a dead end job as a cashier at Kmart. My family life sucked, I didnt have my baby to look forward to, and my boyfriend had turned out to be an abusive jerk (He was the cause of the miscarriage.) I didnt have any money, so I couldnt even move out and live on my own, and my own father (abusive as well) was ragging on me about how much of a let down I was(among other things).
Then Breaking Inside came on, and I was pulled out enough to pay attention to the lyrics. I borrowed the CD and for three weeks straight, thats the only song I listened to. It helped me stop caring what my family thought, and it helped me move on to better things. Since then I've gotten into the habit of playing Shinedown everytime I'm in a funk. They help me pull out and see the brighter side of life.
The song recently saved me again in 2010 when I found out my mom had cancer. I hadnt listened to it in a while, I liked to save it for the really bad times. I played it for my mom, and she decided it was right, that she shouldnt be the last one in line. It pulled us both out of a really bad funk. In fact, she played it again when she found out her cancer was terminal a few months ago. Its become a song that represents our moving through the darkness and fighting to live, no matter what inner demons try to pull us down. Its actually my theme song, and its made me stronger. I listen to it all the time to keep reminding myself that no matter how broken I feel inside, I need to keep going.

comments

I'm glad to be here.

I think part of why they've saved so many people, is because their songs are real. About real feelings, life changes, and so on. people feel attached to the songs, can make them into something personal. It takes a lot of talent for a band to be able to connect to their fans like that

Hi Cait, Welcome to our family.
So glad to have you here.
I know what you mean, when you say SD saved your life.
They did the same for me and to a lot of people on these boards.

My name is Cait by the way :)

I seem to always need someone to talk to. the past few months Shinedown has played a bigger part in my life as i've been dealt problem after problem, and none of my friends like SD :( so i have no one to talk to about how awesome they are and how their songs keep me going. its one of the main reason I joined SDN, so I'd have people I could talk to who understood exactly why I love SD :)

Thank you for sharing your life story with us.
I'm sorry that you have to go through so much trouble in your life and i'm so sorry about your mother.
I'm glad though that Shinedown kept you from taking your own life.
That's what they do best, saving people.
If you need to talk or vent. There 's always someone here to talk to
My name is Rita