After Viewing the "Electric" DVD

• After Viewing the "Electric" DVD
    cwaltman

So during the Carnival of Madness tour, I kept reading people saying that Brent was lip synching on some songs during the tour, and I didn't want to believe it.

After viewing the DVD, they were right. On some of the songs, I Dare You especially, Brent is defiantely lip synching. The verses are rough, and sound live, and then he gets to the chorus and all of a sudden belts out the chorus just like the studio track, getting it down to the exact way he breathes, there is no way thats done live, and trust me, I know exactly how the studio tracks sound. I saw them live on the Sound of Madness tour in 09 and it they were awesome, but watching this DVD it is obvious Brent has pre-recorded choruses on some of the songs.

I'm hoping this was just because Brent's voice had taken a toll on him after almost 5 or 6 years of straight touring. The sad thing is though, he didn't lip synch on the acoustic tour, I was at the Kansas City show from the DVD, and he was defiantely singing those live.

What are your guys thoughts? I am not hating on my favorite band, I'm just expressing concern.

Submitted by cwaltman on
Forum category
Is pro
No

AllAmericanDan1

Fri, 05/06/2011 - 17:19

After listening to the CD, I agree. I Dare You is most definitely suspect. Listen to the CD, the sound quality seems to differ between the chorus and the rest of the song. For some reason, the chorus's volume is lower than the rest of the song. It sounds real bad. The other songs in question: Diamond Eyes and Alice don't sound as obvious.

Also, another thing that has been irking me about this band is the backing tracks and prerecorded parts for the instruments. The intro to Devour in the COM tour for example was being not being played by Barry...why? They had a backing track for Diamond Eyes (Zach admitted this on the old boards, because and I'm quoting "I can't sound like a dozen people." Even in the A&E tour they had a backing track for I Dare You. Because you can hear Brent's voice and he's not singing.

When I see this band live it should just be Brent's voice, Zach's guitar, Eric's bass and piano, and Barry's drums done there, not recorded. If they are tired, rest. You don't have to tour for 3 years, you can tour for 2 if the need be, or do 2 years worth of touring in 3 years.

This is a big reason why I favor the A&E CD over the COM CD, one is a true SD show the other is not.

callmeasaint

Mon, 05/09/2011 - 05:25

I'm not sure you understand how this stuff works.

As far as touring less...would you be ok if your city was the one they skipped?

LOTS of bands use tapes,help,enhancements,bells n' whistles..whatever you want to call it. If they didn't they wouldn't be able to do half their songs live because they would sound like garbage.

One thing I would say is they need to hire a 2nd touring guitarist. They never replaced Nick but he was there for a reason right?

COM was an over the top rock spectacle. It was a SHOW/EVENT. It wasn't meant to showcase musicianship. Saying they should strip to the bone is like saying Lucas should make Star Wars with no CGI. THAT ISN'T THE POINT!

I completely enjoyed myself at both shows and love both dvd's because I understand how live music works. If you want a man on a stool with his guitar go to a bar and let the real fans have the Shinedown tickets.

I might be mad about tapes and whatnot if they were hacks and selling a lie like Britney Spears but as you can see on A&E that is clearly not the case.

[quote="allamericandan1"]After listening to the CD, I agree. I Dare You is most definitely suspect. Listen to the CD, the sound quality seems to differ between the chorus and the rest of the song. For some reason, the chorus's volume is lower than the rest of the song. It sounds real bad. The other songs in question: Diamond Eyes and Alice don't sound as obvious.

Also, another thing that has been irking me about this band is the backing tracks and prerecorded parts for the instruments. The intro to Devour in the COM tour for example was being not being played by Barry...why? They had a backing track for Diamond Eyes (Zach admitted this on the old boards, because and I'm quoting "I can't sound like a dozen people." Even in the A&E tour they had a backing track for I Dare You. Because you can hear Brent's voice and he's not singing.

When I see this band live it should just be Brent's voice, Zach's guitar, Eric's bass and piano, and Barry's drums done there, not recorded. If they are tired, rest. You don't have to tour for 3 years, you can tour for 2 if the need be, or do 2 years worth of touring in 3 years.

This is a big reason why I favor the A&E CD over the COM CD, one is a true SD show the other is not.[/quote]

AllAmericanDan1

Mon, 05/09/2011 - 11:14

[quote="boomlay"]I'm not sure you understand how this stuff works.

LOTS of bands use tapes,help,enhancements,bells n' whistles..whatever you want to call it. If they didn't they wouldn't be able to do half their songs live because they would sound like garbage.

One thing I would say is they need to hire a 2nd touring guitarist. They never replaced Nick but he was there for a reason right?

COM was an over the top rock spectacle. It was a SHOW/EVENT. It wasn't meant to showcase musicianship. Saying they should strip to the bone is like saying Lucas should make Star Wars with no CGI. THAT ISN'T THE POINT!

I completely enjoyed myself at both shows and love both dvd's because I understand how live music works. If you want a man on a stool with his guitar go to a bar and let the real fans have the Shinedown tickets.

I might be mad about tapes and whatnot if they were hacks and selling a lie like Britney Spears but as you can see on A&E that is clearly not the case.
[/quote]

Being a blind fan doesn't make you a real fan, ok? Being able to recognize fault and need for improvement is one part of being a fan. Take off the rose pedal glasses for a moment and realize that they recorded a DVD/CD where it's painfully obvious that I Dare You is a pre-recorded song. This is a rock band, not some ditzy pop artist who you would expect that from.

And no, you're wrong. The Carnival of Madness is not a show/event...it's a rock concert. It's a Shinedown concert, what's the one word that Brent uses when describing a SD concert? "Honest." I would say having a song pre-recorded is far from honest.

Also, they don't need another guitarist. They need to just play the songs live with just the four of them. The songs don't need to sound just like they do on the CDs for crying out loud, if I wanted to hear the songs exactly like the CDs, I would stay home and play the CDs. I go to Shinedown concerts to see them play the music live, to put their own personal twists on the songs.

And to cover some other points you made, comparing a live concert to a movie is like comparing apples to oranges...completely different and doesn't work for this discussion. Secondly, I live in the NY/NJ/Philly area, they usually hit all three each tour, so if they had to cut out two of those three I would be fine with it. But they wouldn't cut out all three or even 2/3 since that is a major market. And I didn't say to cut certain shows, I said they should just tour less. Cut one entire tour if the need be. So in that regard I'm saying take all of my shows so the band is fresh. But yeah, I'm not a real fan...because I am selflessly saying to this band, take ALL of my shows away if you need to rest so you can put on the best live show you can.

And yes other bands use whatevers to enhance their sound, but a lot don't. I've seen this band play live, with no bells and whistles, and it sounded great. That's what the fans come to see. That's what the real fans come to see. An honest band playing honestly.

[quote="allamericandan1"]After listening to the CD, I agree. I Dare You is most definitely suspect. Listen to the CD, the sound quality seems to differ between the chorus and the rest of the song. For some reason, the chorus's volume is lower than the rest of the song. It sounds real bad. The other songs in question: Diamond Eyes and Alice don't sound as obvious.

This is a big reason why I favor the A&E CD over the COM CD, one is a true SD show the other is not.[/quote][/quote]

How can you say I'm not a real Shinedown fan for noticing the guys not performing to their full potential. There was NO lip synching on any other tour they've done, and they kicked ass live.

I'm not bashing the guys, I'm just pointing out how if Brent didn't feel his voice was well enough to sing those notes, then take a break from tour. Myself as a REAL fan can wait.

And obviously you arent much of a music fan if you think lip synching from singer who has the best voice in Rock music today is acceptable. I thought I made it pretty clear at the beginning that I wasn't trying to bash the band, I love these guys to death. I was jsut bringing up the point you would have to be dumb to deny that lip synching went down on the COM tour, its awesome the guys want to put on more shows for us, but please take vacations if need be.

And for your point of well this was an "over the top music spectacle" well what about bands like Motley Crue, and Kiss who have all the bells and whistles and still come out and just straight up play live.

Watch the live videos from the Sound of Madness Deluxe live in Atlanta, and then watch the COM DVD, and then tell me you don't think they dropped off a little as far as live performance goes.

I haven't seen the dvds yet (I just got the gift this weekend!), but I will agree that his voice has taken a hit from touring so much, as compared to how he sounded on the LAW or U&T tours. He can't hit some of the high notes anymore, like in Save Me for example, or at least he chooses not to, and that's a shame as I love to hear them. Well I love to hear him sing anything.

I saw them 4x last year, and if I chose to go to every concert that was within a 2-3 hour drive from me, I could have gone to about 12, so yes, they definitely could have cut out some of the shows. I personally am happy they are sticking to their guns and not planning any shows for a while. The way I see it is I would rather see these guys less now so I can see them more later. I don't want them to get so burnt out from touring or being away from their families, that they break up or go on a long hiatus that seems to happen often enough with bands.

That being said, I really don't think they need all of that back-up. But part of it I think was how SoM was written/produced. I am getting advanced enough in my guitar playing that I bought the SoM guitar book and all the songs have 5-9 guitar parts. That's just ridiculous and I can only imagine how much Zach is able to play vs what they "pipe in". Here's hoping that the 4th album is more steamlined and they need less of the back-up stuff. No matter what they do though, I will still say they are an absolute experience to see live.

[quote="allamericandan1"][quote="boomlay"]I'm not sure you understand how this stuff works.

[/quote]

Being a blind fan doesn't make you a real fan, ok? Being able to recognize fault and need for improvement is one part of being a fan. Take off the rose pedal glasses for a moment and realize that they recorded a DVD/CD where it's painfully obvious that I Dare You is a pre-recorded song. This is a rock band, not some ditzy pop artist who you would expect that from.

And no, you're wrong. The Carnival of Madness is not a show/event...it's a rock concert. It's a Shinedown concert, what's the one word that Brent uses when describing a SD concert? "Honest." I would say having a song pre-recorded is far from honest.

Also, they don't need another guitarist. They need to just play the songs live with just the four of them. The songs don't need to sound just like they do on the CDs for crying out loud, if I wanted to hear the songs exactly like the CDs, I would stay home and play the CDs. I go to Shinedown concerts to see them play the music live, to put their own personal twists on the songs.

And to cover some other points you made, comparing a live concert to a movie is like comparing apples to oranges...completely different and doesn't work for this discussion. Secondly, I live in the NY/NJ/Philly area, they usually hit all three each tour, so if they had to cut out two of those three I would be fine with it. But they wouldn't cut out all three or even 2/3 since that is a major market. And I didn't say to cut certain shows, I said they should just tour less. Cut one entire tour if the need be. So in that regard I'm saying take all of my shows so the band is fresh. But yeah, I'm not a real fan...because I am selflessly saying to this band, take ALL of my shows away if you need to rest so you can put on the best live show you can.

And yes other bands use whatevers to enhance their sound, but a lot don't. I've seen this band play live, with no bells and whistles, and it sounded great. That's what the fans come to see. That's what the real fans come to see. An honest band playing honestly.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more allamericandan1. Anyone denying Brent lip syncing needs to open their eyes and ears and quit acting like our favorite band isn't capable of doing something wrong. The fact is that there is NO excuse for lip syncing on a LIVE DVD! Someone tell me how Brent can sound different on the verses of the songs and then magically sound EXACTLY like the studio versions on the choruses. This happened on 9 out of the 16 songs on the COM DVD. It's so obvious when Brent lip syncs. He overemphasizes his facial expressions and squints his eyes like he did during Diamond Eyes. And no he is not just using a backing track. He is NOT singing at all. If you don't believe that he is lip syncing, let me know and I'll prove it. The most stupid thing about this whole situation is that Brent's voice was fantastic at the time of the electric DVD shoot. Did you hear Simple Man? He destroyed those high notes. The other performances where he didn't lip sync (Cyanide, 45, Burning Bright, Save Me, Left Out, and Fly) blew me away, so why did he need to lip sync at all? I'm sure this was not Brent's idea. It was probably a management decision, but Brent should have had the self-respect and pride to deny doing it. I wish I knew what the motive was. Gain more fans? Sell more copies of the DVD? They're actually going to lose more fans because people aren't stupid. Talk of Brent's lip syncing is all over the internet. Now that the band knows that people know it's going on, I really hope it never happens again, especially on a live DVD. If Brent would have used the lip syncing to get his voice in shape for the DVD, then I would have cut him some slack but he didn't.

On the subject of using extra musical tracks live, I really don't have a problem with it because Barry, Zach, and Eric are still playing their instruments. The strings in songs like Second Chance make the song sound better. If I had a choice, I would rather have the music all live, but it's not that big of a deal.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just disappointed about this pointless lip syncing crap. I could understand if Brent couldn't sing, but he CAN so there's no reason for it. I, like most of the other fans not turning a blind eye to this, will support the band through thick and thin, but we won't make excuses for what the band does wrong.

So during the Carnival of Madness tour, I kept reading people saying that Brent was lip synching on some songs during the tour, and I didn't want to believe it.

After viewing the DVD, they were right. On some of the songs, I Dare You especially, Brent is defiantely lip synching. The verses are rough, and sound live, and then he gets to the chorus and all of a sudden belts out the chorus just like the studio track, getting it down to the exact way he breathes, there is no way thats done live, and trust me, I know exactly how the studio tracks sound. I saw them live on the Sound of Madness tour in 09 and it they were awesome, but watching this DVD it is obvious Brent has pre-recorded choruses on some of the songs.

I'm hoping this was just because Brent's voice had taken a toll on him after almost 5 or 6 years of straight touring. The sad thing is though, he didn't lip synch on the acoustic tour, I was at the Kansas City show from the DVD, and he was defiantely singing those live.

What are your guys thoughts? I am not hating on my favorite band, I'm just expressing concern.

comments

[quote="allamericandan1"][quote="boomlay"]I'm not sure you understand how this stuff works.

[/quote]

And yes other bands use whatevers to enhance their sound, but a lot don't. I've seen this band play live, with no bells and whistles, and it sounded great. That's what the fans come to see. That's what the real fans come to see. An honest band playing honestly.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more allamericandan1. Anyone denying Brent lip syncing needs to open their eyes and ears and quit acting like our favorite band isn't capable of doing something wrong. The fact is that there is NO excuse for lip syncing on a LIVE DVD! Someone tell me how Brent can sound different on the verses of the songs and then magically sound EXACTLY like the studio versions on the choruses. This happened on 9 out of the 16 songs on the COM DVD. It's so obvious when Brent lip syncs. He overemphasizes his facial expressions and squints his eyes like he did during Diamond Eyes. And no he is not just using a backing track. He is NOT singing at all. If you don't believe that he is lip syncing, let me know and I'll prove it. The most stupid thing about this whole situation is that Brent's voice was fantastic at the time of the electric DVD shoot. Did you hear Simple Man? He destroyed those high notes. The other performances where he didn't lip sync (Cyanide, 45, Burning Bright, Save Me, Left Out, and Fly) blew me away, so why did he need to lip sync at all? I'm sure this was not Brent's idea. It was probably a management decision, but Brent should have had the self-respect and pride to deny doing it. I wish I knew what the motive was. Gain more fans? Sell more copies of the DVD? They're actually going to lose more fans because people aren't stupid. Talk of Brent's lip syncing is all over the internet. Now that the band knows that people know it's going on, I really hope it never happens again, especially on a live DVD. If Brent would have used the lip syncing to get his voice in shape for the DVD, then I would have cut him some slack but he didn't.

On the subject of using extra musical tracks live, I really don't have a problem with it because Barry, Zach, and Eric are still playing their instruments. The strings in songs like Second Chance make the song sound better. If I had a choice, I would rather have the music all live, but it's not that big of a deal.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm just disappointed about this pointless lip syncing crap. I could understand if Brent couldn't sing, but he CAN so there's no reason for it. I, like most of the other fans not turning a blind eye to this, will support the band through thick and thin, but we won't make excuses for what the band does wrong.

I haven't seen the dvds yet (I just got the gift this weekend!), but I will agree that his voice has taken a hit from touring so much, as compared to how he sounded on the LAW or U&T tours. He can't hit some of the high notes anymore, like in Save Me for example, or at least he chooses not to, and that's a shame as I love to hear them. Well I love to hear him sing anything.

I saw them 4x last year, and if I chose to go to every concert that was within a 2-3 hour drive from me, I could have gone to about 12, so yes, they definitely could have cut out some of the shows. I personally am happy they are sticking to their guns and not planning any shows for a while. The way I see it is I would rather see these guys less now so I can see them more later. I don't want them to get so burnt out from touring or being away from their families, that they break up or go on a long hiatus that seems to happen often enough with bands.

That being said, I really don't think they need all of that back-up. But part of it I think was how SoM was written/produced. I am getting advanced enough in my guitar playing that I bought the SoM guitar book and all the songs have 5-9 guitar parts. That's just ridiculous and I can only imagine how much Zach is able to play vs what they "pipe in". Here's hoping that the 4th album is more steamlined and they need less of the back-up stuff. No matter what they do though, I will still say they are an absolute experience to see live.

This is a big reason why I favor the A&E CD over the COM CD, one is a true SD show the other is not.[/quote][/quote]

How can you say I'm not a real Shinedown fan for noticing the guys not performing to their full potential. There was NO lip synching on any other tour they've done, and they kicked ass live.

I'm not bashing the guys, I'm just pointing out how if Brent didn't feel his voice was well enough to sing those notes, then take a break from tour. Myself as a REAL fan can wait.

And obviously you arent much of a music fan if you think lip synching from singer who has the best voice in Rock music today is acceptable. I thought I made it pretty clear at the beginning that I wasn't trying to bash the band, I love these guys to death. I was jsut bringing up the point you would have to be dumb to deny that lip synching went down on the COM tour, its awesome the guys want to put on more shows for us, but please take vacations if need be.

And for your point of well this was an "over the top music spectacle" well what about bands like Motley Crue, and Kiss who have all the bells and whistles and still come out and just straight up play live.

Watch the live videos from the Sound of Madness Deluxe live in Atlanta, and then watch the COM DVD, and then tell me you don't think they dropped off a little as far as live performance goes.

[/quote]

And yes other bands use whatevers to enhance their sound, but a lot don't. I've seen this band play live, with no bells and whistles, and it sounded great. That's what the fans come to see. That's what the real fans come to see. An honest band playing honestly.

I'm not sure you understand how this stuff works.

This is a big reason why I favor the A&E CD over the COM CD, one is a true SD show the other is not.[/quote]

After listening to the CD, I agree. I Dare You is most definitely suspect. Listen to the CD, the sound quality seems to differ between the chorus and the rest of the song. For some reason, the chorus's volume is lower than the rest of the song. It sounds real bad. The other songs in question: Diamond Eyes and Alice don't sound as obvious.

This is a big reason why I favor the A&E CD over the COM CD, one is a true SD show the other is not.